Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bought new scope...need rings! >

Bought new scope...need rings!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bought new scope...need rings!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Bought new scope...need rings!

Just bought a new scope (Leupold VX-II 3x9x40) for my Tikka 30.06.

Now...what rings/mounts do I need???! I'm really not sure guys but am seeking your advice. Hunting deer with this rifle and will probably have my rifle zeroed @ 150 yards for the conditions I hunt in.

The rifle is bolt action.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bought new scope...need rings!

Warne, Talley, Leupold, or Weavers. Can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM

my question is....which type of mounts do I need? Raised rings? Flush mounts? 1 piece flush mount....2 piece flush mounts...etc. Which type should I use and why? Does one type of ring/mount offer more accuracy/consistancy

after looking at some of these....do I have to buy both mounts and rings? I'm new at this...spend most of my time with archery so go easy on me.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Your cheapest way would be to go to your local gunsmith, you will want the shortest set-up possible, "scope as close to the barrel without touching it, he can also bore-sight it at the same time, that will get you on the paper, then all you need to do is sight it in.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

You need bases and rings. Here's what I do.

Bases: 2 piece steel bases front and rear. Weaver is a good brand and so is Warne and Millet. Steel costs more than aluminum but is tougher, you want a rock solid base. Go with the Weaver style of base or the Leopold style, personal preference here, they are both good, but they fit different. For a 40mm objective lens I would go with a "high" base, but a "medium" may work.

Rings: Get steel rings made by Millet, Warne or Weaver. Don't mess with aluminum as they can strip out easily with overzeolous tightening. Get the style of rings to match your bases. Meaning if you get a Leopold style of base you will need to get a Leopold style of ring and not a Weaver style.

Go to www.midwayusa.com and spend some time poking around to get an idea of what you need or are willing to spend. Good steel rings aren't cheap, expect to spend more for steel. On the cheap, most WalMarts carry what you need, but it's not the best stuff on the market. If you have a Tika, I'd be putting top quality stuff on it, especially with your choice of scope. Visit manufacturer websites or do some searching and good luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM

Throw away the rings that come with the Tikka, junk. Get Burris 2 piece trumount Bases, Burris Rings Med is what Ihave on my Tikka 300 win mag. Very sturdy mounts.Type in "Tikka" in search. I have a 44 mag scope.
www.Midwayusa.com

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my Tikka .25-06 wearing a Nikon Monarch in Warne rings. Very strong setup.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning .243 A-bolt Hunter and I have the Millet rings with the Leupold Rifleman 3-4X 9mm scope in matte black.I was told the Millet were the best by several Hunters I know.I had a Gun Smith mount the bases and rings then he bore sighted it in,then I took it out and finished lining it up.

When you take your gun out to sight it in I suggest starting out at 50 yards then move out to 100-150 after you get it close at 50 yards.I use a very large white piece of cardboard and center my target in the middle when I start out sighting the gun in because when you first shoot your gun it could be shooting pretty far off target and the bigger the back ground the easier it will be to see where your hitting.Bore sighting will get you on paper but it can still be pretty far off when you start shooting out to 100 yards.I have a Caldwell Leadsled and it helps keep the gun steady and more accurate.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Guys! Thank you for your valuable responses!!! That's what I'm lookin for. Thank you all very much. 10-4 on the steel mounts/rings! Hats off to you boys! Good luck this fall.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:44 PM

YOU ABSOLUTLY WANT ONE PIECE MOUNT.If you go with 2 piece, and one comes loose, your scope wil more than likely move. With a a piece, if you lose a screw, your 1 peice steel base is still pretty solid. might move some, but less than the 2 piece will.after that the rest is just preferance, as far as height...etc. I suggest rings by Badger ordiance, but they are $$$$$$$. I think around $200 or so. Might bhave gone up in the last couple years. They are big, steel rings that have been made specifically to match the other half of the ring. They are a bit heavy too.
All the other brands here are goreat products too. For me, my preferance is the Badger Rings.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Bought new scope...need rings!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.