Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING. >

.40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Default .40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING.

I have a Highpoint .40 carbine.Is a .40 caliber an ok round to whack a WILD HOG.The rifle is very reliable and acurate with 10 rounds to back me up,or should i stik with my .308 semi REM.I bought the carbine so i can carry my Glock 23C as a sidearm and carry the same ammo.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: .40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING.

Man, take a hunting round to go hunting. I was hog hunting and saw a guy hit a hog a few times with a 40S&W. Didn't do much to it. The bullets used are not made for it.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Thnx Brother for info.Best to stik to the big guns,whould"nt want a ricochette.Have"nt met my insurance premium yet this year!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a .357 or .44 Magnum if I were considering pistol hunting hogs.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Snakebite101

I have a Highpoint .40 carbine.Is a .40 caliber an ok round to whack a WILD HOG.The rifle is very reliable and acurate with 10 rounds to back me up,or should i stik with my .308 semi REM.I bought the carbine so i can carry my Glock 23C as a sidearm and carry the same ammo.
Let me get this straight. Are you talking about the wimpy little .40 S&W pistol round in a carbine?? If so, I believe you'd be more successful throwing rocks at them hogs! As BigCountry said, get a hunting gun! Hogs are tough- a .44 Magnum is about minimum for shooting hogs!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

In 1960 i hunted with a guy in eastern TN who decided that he wanted to hunt with a .44 magnum pistol. He wounded a huge boar that came after him and tore upone upper and both lower legs very badly. We had to put tourniquets (sp) onhis legsto get him to the hospital where it took 217 stitches to sew him up. Luckily there were six of us to carry him out of the woods.

Usually zap three of four hogs, mostly boars, a month. Most of mine have been killed with a .50 muzzleloader and 240 grain XTP or 250 grain SST bullets. Have shot the suckers at ranges of 25 to 200 yards.For some reason that big bullet from a muzzleloader does a goodjob on hogs.

There is something about a hog that i have never seen discussed on a board. They can be lying on the ground, apparently dying after a shot. Let them catch a glimpse of you or hear a human voice and they can be up and gone in a flash. If you are closea wounded hog can be up and after you in a flash.

The heart of a hog is much lower in the chest than that of a deer. Aim accordingly.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

i have seen a guy take a pig with a .177 pellet gun, you can do anythign with any gun with a good shot.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great link, Falcon.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

i have seen a guy take a pig with a .177 pellet gun, you can do anythign with any gun with a good shot.
Yes. And I remember an Inuit kid once in Alaska who killed a Polar bear with a .22 Short, too. But it is NOT RECOMMENDED!!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:54 PM

I have a Ruger PC-4 carbine and it takes boar all the time, big (250#) and small (75#). I have taken them at 20 to 80 yards. I also hunt with a group of cops that routinely take coastal deer and hogs at <30 yards with a .40 pistol. Just because some people say they "wouldn't" hunt with less that a magnum round or a rifle round does not mean it won't get the job done. The key is accurate shot placement. If you can shoot a 2" group at 80 yards, you will have no problem. From the side, I usually aim low on the shoulder, a couple of inches above where the front leg meets the chest and have ended up hitting the dip in the spinal column, the heart or the lungs. All were fatal with a single shot. I had one shot from behind and above at 40 yards. He was running and I aimed between the shoulder blades. It broke his back and dropped him on the spot, but did not kill. I advanced and took a 2nd shot at 10 yards that killed him.

In my book, one properly placed round is superior to 3 or 4 poorly placed rounds of any caliber.

True enough, the .40 S&W was designed to drop a mere human and hogs do have a shield or armor of cartlidge and scar tissue that people don't have, but I have seen .40 rounds out of a pistol go clean through the steel trunk of a police car. Like the .45 ACP, the .40 S&W does not achieve it's maximum potential in a pistol barrel. An 11-16" barrel gives you maximum velocity, maximum energy and the most accuracy from these rounds.

So, go kill a hog with your .40 carbine and post a picture here for all of the non-believers.

Quick Reply: .40 caliber carbine for HOG HUNTING.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.