Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun Accuracy >

Shotgun Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Accuracy

Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Accuracy

I used to shoot regular slugs outta my rifled barrel. But after about 3 shots accuracy declines drastically due to all the lead in the rifling. i'd shoot sabots accuracy will be much better
Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: life_is_short_hunt_hard

since you have a rifled barrel... you might also want to consider the Hornady SST slugs. i shoot these out of my 870 epress and can leave all three shots within a 1 and a half inch group at 50 yards with open sights.
I agree,the Hornady SST is a fantastic slug for shotgun hunters. I shoot them out of a Mossberg 835 UltiMag and they live up to the claim of 200 yard accuracy. I've zeroed my scoped gun at 150 yards. The slug hits 6 inches low at 200. Placed the crosshairs on the top of my '06 buck standing broadside at exactly 200 yards and dropped him in his tracks. Great slug!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

first of all and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to find out what twist rate your barrel is.Rem. barrels are usually a 1:28 twist where as Hastings barrels are a 1:34 twist. If your twist is under 1:28, forget about the high speed, light bullet slugs, they simpley will not stabalize and will shoot all over the place. i know slugslike the core lokts and hornadys SST's look pretty, but if you dont have the proper twist rate, dont waste your $$$. On my setup, the bore sizehastings and rem. buckhammer slugs shoot best with the attached sabot tail. witha red dot sight i can shoot 2" groups @ 50yds all day. also, worth a mention are the brenneke golds, they have shot well out of anyslug gun for me.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 20 in 2 3/4 and I use slugs. Groups great at 75 yards with ironsights.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ReDoT

first of all and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to find out what twist rate your barrel is.Rem. barrels are usually a 1:28 twist where as Hastings barrels are a 1:34 twist. If your twist is under 1:28, forget about the high speed, light bullet slugs, they simpley will not stabalize and will shoot all over the place. i know slugslike the core lokts and hornadys SST's look pretty, but if you dont have the proper twist rate, dont waste your $$$. On my setup, the bore sizehastings and rem. buckhammer slugs shoot best with the attached sabot tail. witha red dot sight i can shoot 2" groups @ 50yds all day. also, worth a mention are the brenneke golds, they have shot well out of anyslug gun for me.
ANY IDEA WHAT THE TWIST RATE IS ON AN ITHICA DEER SLAYER IS?

dd
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 AM

While we're discussing slugs, if any of you have Brenneke brand slugs, DON'T SHOOT THEM UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED THEM OUT!!!! I just opened the new issue of field and stream and they have a recall in there for certain brenneke slugs. I won't try to go into specifics. I don't want to make a typo and cause someone to get hurt thinking that theirs are ok. Just please check it out, look it up on the net or open up field and stream and check it out. I'm also glad to see that I"m not the only one who loves the federal barnes slugs.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: ReDoT

first of all and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to find out what twist rate your barrel is. Rem. barrels are usually a 1:28 twist where as Hastings barrels are a 1:34 twist. If your twist is under 1:28, forget about the high speed, light bullet slugs, they simpley will not stabalize and will shoot all over the place. i know slugs like the core lokts and hornadys SST's look pretty, but if you dont have the proper twist rate, dont waste your $$$. On my setup, the bore size hastings and rem. buckhammer slugs shoot best with the attached sabot tail. with a red dot sight i can shoot 2" groups @ 50yds all day. also, worth a mention are the brenneke golds, they have shot well out of anyslug gun for me.
I think the twist on the 20 gauge is 1:24. I was shooting the 260 gr. core lokt. I am gonna try the 5/8 oz. barnes expanders later this week. After shooting 15 rounds through the barrel is was remarkably clean. Not sure what that means but I do not think that copper fouling played into it. The boys at cabelas said the the sabots will give me the best accuracy and to try and stick with them.

Lastley, can you adjust the trigger on the 11-87. I appears to be set at around 6-7 pounds.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM

UPDATE:

I decided to head down to my local gunsmith today, I wasnt sure how to disassemble completely and wanted to give it a good cleaning, plus I wanted him to adjust the trigger. As he was showing me how to remove the trigger assembly, the feed latch fell out onto the floor. He said this is supposed to be tacked (soldered) to the receiver. Not sure if that affected the accuracy or not, it is not a good thing to have happen. Luckily I found out before heading to the range again.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:11 PM

ReDoT, interesting findings concerning twist rate of your barrel. Normally, the faster the twistrate of the barrel, the more, not less, easily you stabilize bullets. I had a T/C Thunderhawk muzzleloader with a 1:34 twist, and was able to shoot the .44 cal. saboted Hornady XTP 300 grain bullets really well. My friends shooting Hawkins, with the 1:48 twist couldn't hardly stabilize anything but real light (short) bullets, and roundballs. Guns that shoot balls the best, are normally really slow twist guns, like Kentucky long rifles with 1:66 twist rates. I am sure you can over stabilize a bullet with a really fast twist rate, just not sure how fast is too fast. The 1:28 twistrate is fantastic. Pretty sure all Knight muzzleloaders, and most sabot designed guns sport a twist rate similar to the 1:28.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath
ANY IDEA WHAT THE TWIST RATE IS ON AN ITHICA DEER SLAYER IS?
dd
DD, is that a new Deerslayer? If so website says 1:28. I ask because I have a 16 ga. featherweight that's34/35 years old that came with a deerslayer barrell anda 30 in. for birds. Just wondering howtheir newer firearms are?

Quick Reply: Shotgun Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.