HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Installing choke tubes in fixed choke barrel. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/203317-installing-choke-tubes-fixed-choke-barrel.html)

t roy 08-21-2007 01:25 PM

Installing choke tubes in fixed choke barrel.

I've got a 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge (fixed modified choke)that I've had since I wasa kid. Killed my first deer with it, etc, etc.She is in need of a new finish so I am considering having choke tubes put in at the same time. Rather inexpensive $60-$100 depending who does it and what you get.

I'd like tohear aboutany experiences anyone has had with installing choke tubes in a fixed choke barrel. I am in Illinois so I am thinking Mann & Son in Pickneyville, they are warranty service dealerfor Remington, I figure they are my best bet.

Any advice, experience, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

SwampCollie 08-21-2007 04:34 PM

RE: Installing choke tubes in fixed choke barrel.

I have had Briley Thinwall chokes put in three of my guns (one 12ga 870 Wingmaster Mag), my fathers 1100 which he still uses, and my 1100 LT-20.

All of them work great. Of course, I didn't do it myself.... use the gunsmith :D But I have been very pleased.

Value wise, it does demish the "worth" of a gun... but since the gun you have is only worth a lot to you (no offense, but they made a lot of 870s), then its definately more than worth it to make it more useable. You will get so much more enjoyment out of it if you get to hunt with it more often.

Good luck.

doubleA 08-22-2007 04:37 PM

I too have had Briley Thinwall tubes installed on a couple of fixed choked target O/U's and while they perfrom very good, I would think getting a new Rem 870 barrel with Rem chokes would save you in the end. With the Rem choke type you have and endless array of aftermarket tubes while the Thinwallscan only be hadfrom Briley. Oj course each barrel is different and if your smith can cut a stanard threads in your barrel then that would probably be the most cost effective and easiest.

Chris_H 08-22-2007 05:24 PM

You can change the coke of a fixed choke shotgun?

SwampCollie 08-22-2007 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

You can change the coke of a fixed choke shotgun?
Yep you sure can.... its called having choke tubes installed.

You don't think those tubes just magically show up do you.....

Back in the day, instead of having a single gun with many tubes, you had a single gun with MANY barrels. Ever notice all those old barrels lying around in Carolina Rod and Gun??? Thats from a bygone era for the most part.....

t roy 08-23-2007 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I too have had Briley Thinwall tubes installed on a couple of fixed choked target O/U's and while they perfrom very good, I would think getting a new Rem 870 barrel with Rem chokes would save you in the end. With the Rem choke type you have and endless array of aftermarket tubes while the Thinwallscan only be hadfrom Briley. Oj course each barrel is different and if your smith can cut a stanard threads in your barrel then that would probably be the most cost effective and easiest.
Unfortunately, Rem Chokes are not an option.According to thesmith atMann &Sonit wouldhave to be a thin wall system.

I am thinking about having Carlson (choketube.com)do the install. $85+ $15shippingfor install + 3 chokes. That way I'd have reasonably priced chokes available if I decided I needed more. They also seem to know what they are doing from the articles I've read about their company & products. According to their service dept, they can install on any barrel (20 ga) over .700 in diameter. Turn around is about 3-4 days.

Thanks for the responses.