Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ideas for Backstop for target practice??? >

Ideas for Backstop for target practice???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ideas for Backstop for target practice???

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ideas for Backstop for target practice???

I was target practicing on public land behind a dam at a Lake, so I was shooting into the dam hill with a .22

I was able to hear some of the shots ricochet off the ground, which really bothered me so I cut my practice session short. I don't think I've ever had that problem before... Of course, with the big guns, it's not a problem.

What would you recommend for a back stop that's portable for a 22? I was thinking maybe just a car tire,... think that would be ok? Or any other ideas??
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ideas for Backstop for target practice???

The tire will slow 'em down but not necessarily stop everything.

I assume you had at least somewhat of an earthen backstop.... a bit of a small hill at least. If not, you were not shooting in a good spot at all.
But assuming you had a bit of an earth backstop and the bullets were STILL ricocheting ,, then loosening up the earth behind the target with a shovel and a 3/4 " pice of plywood would probably be enough to slow everything down. FOR .22 ONLY, we used to take a couple pieces of 3/4 " ply about 3' X 3', and screw them together ... we then screwed a couple "legs" (2 x 4's) into the top along each side so they could pivot. We'd stick the legs in the ground and have the plywood top be angled towards the back of the target, the bottom away (kinda like how bullet traps are set up) only this wood didn't trap anything, only gave the bullets something substantial to tear into, slowing them way down (sometimes stopping shorts). Then, when slowed bullets passed through they were then met by the newly churned up earth that we would loosen directly behind the "trap". We'd set up the targets directly in front of the Trap and loosened earth. Again, this should always be done where you have a good earthen rise or backstop.

Since that time we've found a county gravel/sand pit that works great .. and no one bothers us at all.. No more lugging around the plywood!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Hillary Clinton would make a great back stop.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

you might try this i was target shooting my .223 ar 15 kind of the same set up i took a piece of wall board the kind with the holes in it for a shop or garge but any thin plywood would work and made two legs that you could fold out like a table leg and it worked great but remember if your are on pulic property by a dam it might be illegel to shoot there also i lived in ky and there they had public shooting ranges in the state and us gov fish and wildlife area and we do here in indiana aswell were i live now
Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if she gets the nomination she might be a backstop for some one
but just for the govt no person should think about to shoot or even talk about this as it is wrong and illegal
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't a backstop, per se, but it's a darn good target holder that you can set up infront of a good backstop. Take an old folding lawnchair...the find with an aluminum frame and legs..........attach a piece of cardboard to the back section, and tape your targets to it. You can fold it up when you're done and take it anywhere. When the cardboard gets too shot up, simply cut a new piece, and re-attach it to the aluminum frame. Been using one of these for years, and almost everyone who sees it goes home and makes one for themselves. If the wind is a little strong, you can use tent pegs or rocks to hold the bottom legs to the ground. Works dadn good, and can be set at any range you wish to shoot.