Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ejection problem/rem 740 >

ejection problem/rem 740

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ejection problem/rem 740

Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Default ejection problem/rem 740

[&o] Itinker with repairing guns.I have a 740 rem 30/06 that wont eject the spent casing. you have to poke a rod down the business end of the barrel to unlodge it. could this be an ejector lug problem?I know some autos have o-ring seals. I'm a bolt action guy myself. But im trying to fix this gun. Anyone know what its problem might be ?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ejection problem/rem 740

Is the spent casing holding so very tight in the chamber that the ejector can't pull it out? Evidence of that would be that even using a rod pushing from the barrel end out you have trouble dislodging it.
If that's the case, you may need to do some serious degreasing and removal of residue in the chamber with bore cleaner and chamber (copper) brush repeatedly. Same with the barrel, as there is likely significant copper/brass build up. Then only a very light coating of quality gun oil. Stay away from oil/lubricants that have additives like teflon that over time and in cold weather make the action very stiff and hard to eject.
If the brass does come out with a cleaning rod easily, then you may have a problem with dirt ejector leaver and/or ejector spring. I don't know how easy it is with the 740 to get the bolt out. If you can, maybe soak it in bore cleaner, brush it with a gun cleaning brush, then spray it thoroughly with bore cleaner before putting a light coating of lub on the moving parts and wipe of the excess.
Check to see that the inside of the ejector that engages the cartridge. If it's worn, you can get replacement parts.
Good luck!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you have some corrosion issues in your chamber, your problem is more than likely a worn or broken extractor. This is not a fix for the novice, to start you will need to pull the recoil-gas assy,barrel, trigger assy, knock out the pin on the charging handle and remove it, remove the bolt, carfully drill out the extractor rivit, take out the extractor, instal the new extractor, then useing a special tool re-rivit the extractor back in place, then re-assemble the rifle.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads ?