Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Figured out what caliber I want >

Figured out what caliber I want

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Figured out what caliber I want

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Figured out what caliber I want

I have been pondering getting a rifle. I live in lower MI so I can't deer hunt with a centerfire, so I have several shotguns, a dedicated slug gun and a nice inline. I also have a 17 HMR, but have been wanting something a bit more powerful.

I have been considering a high powered rifle for a while, I think I want one now. I looked at some of the stevens rifles at Gander Mountain this weekend and was pretty impressed for the money. I don't care for that ugly cheesy plastic stock, but the rest is nice (I'm a wood kind of guy). I used to have a 110E savage in 30-06 and was pretty happy with it. These look like the same thing pretty much.

I also looked at one of the cheaper remingtons, iiick I wasn't impressed at all. They just look cheap to me.

My dilemma has been what caliber do I want. I was flopping around between .223, 22-250 and a .243. I never really did much comparing though. This is what I assumed. The 223 would be cheaper and fairly flat. The 22-250 would probably be the most expensive, but the flattest shooting. I also hear they wear out barrels or something faster? I figured the .243 would be in between as far as price went and probably the least flat shooting, but still pretty good. Not to mention if I ever got the chance to go up north I could hunt deer with it. I could with the others as well, there is no caliber limit in MI, but I would feel more confident with the .243.

Well I got to looking at ammo choices and prices and found that they are all pretty much the same for premium ammo. Sure you can get .223 really cheap, but most of it looked like crap and not really what I wanted. And yes I found a few boxes of 22-250 that were pretty expensive, but I found some pretty pricey .243 ammo as well. I thought DAMN! this doesn't help me any.

I came home today and punched some numbers into a ballistics calculator. I found that winchester makes a 55 grn ballistic tip bullet in all three calibers. I was pretty amazed at what I found. The .243 is hands down the winner. This cartridge flat out rocks and will darn near do anything I want it to depending one what I load it with. It's even flatter than the 17 remington out to 300 yards. I would have never thought that.

My next rifle purchase will undoubtedly be a .243. I may even sell something to get one. Although I'm pretty fond of the guns I currently have. Maybe I'll ask everyone in my family to pitch in and get me one for Christmas or something. Maybe I should have planned this better since my 40th birthday is tomorrow. Oops.

Oh, I'm thinking medium range woodchuck/target gun for the intended purpose

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Figured out what caliber I want

You definately can't go wrong with the 243. I was thinking a 223 or 250 would fit your bill, till you mentioned deer hunting up North. I actually have 2 243s at the moment and I have another one that I am picking up tomorrow. I don't think I can have too many of 'em. One is a real nice Remmy with some good wood, one is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, and the new one is a limited run Savage with a medium-bull barrel with fluting.

Also, most factory 243s don't shoot the 55gr BTs good. I have been loading 60gr Sierra HPs for a few years now, and they flat out get with the program. Load 'er up with some 95gr Combined Technology BTs and your ready for antelope, deer, etc.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Between the 3 calibers you mention I'd say you've made the right choice.
If it was punching paper you wanted to do I'd advise to go with the .223 for economy. But since you want a gun that can take whitetail and perform other tasks as well, the .243 is the best of the 3 you mention.
BTW, Michigan does have caliber limits for large game / deer firearms.
The rule staes that
"All Firearm Deer Seasons - Rifle Zone
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season.
Exception:
See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season."

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Good luck with your purchase.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Have you decided on the manufacturer and style yet? The Savage packages are touch to beat now that some of the models can be had with the Acu-trigger, and the dual pillar bedded action. I'm not sure biut some may also be available with all of the above AND the detachable mag and/or hinged floorplate. However, these extra nice features are not included in the cheapest of the bargains from Savage.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]There are a lot of nice rifles out there for you, and depending on your wallet, you can get almost anything you want.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...You sure aren't going to get much of an argument out of me...

Within the next month, guys here in NC will be out, sighting in their deer rifles, most will only shoot 4-5 times to check the scope...My .243 gets shot just about every month of the year...Crows, groundhogs, coyotes, I even punch paper every once in a while...Deer?? When you use one rifle for everything, a deer is a piece of cake...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 PM

You read it wrong, thats not a caliber restriction, its a cartridge/weapon type restriction. You can't use a rimfire, but you can use any centerfire. I could use a 17 remington or a 22 hornet if I wanted. I think it would be stupid, but it would be legal. I never knew that until a guy asked me if he could use his AR for deer hunting. I told him probably not, it would either be restricted for the caliber or the action. I looked it up and I was wrong. As long as he doesn't use a high capacity mag it's legal. I told him I wouldn't advise it, but he wouldn't go to jail. I offered to loan him my slug gun or muzzle loader if he wanted instead.

I don't think I really plan to use the 55 grn bullets, I was just impressed at the difference in performance and that all three calibers had the same weight bullet so I could compare them. I will probably go with something heavier, it would give me similar trajectory but more energy. My guess would be most 243's don't have the twist rate to match the light bullets? Am I correct?

Probably be going with the stevens 200, its hard to beat that price for what is basically a 110 series savage with a nylon stock. Like I said I owned one with a wood stock years ago and was very happy with it.

I have a real nice 6.5-20x44 Alaskan Guide varmint scope on my 17 HMR I will probably put on it. Then I might just get a mueller or something for the 17.

It will be a while at any rate, I'm pretty broke at the moment. Maybe by then I will be able to find a used one.

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Between the 3 calibers you mention I'd say you've made the right choice.
Actually the decision was between 3 cartridges,but only two calibers.The .223 and the 22-250 are the same caliber.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dats right! .224 and .243.
And that is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine! [:-]
Should'a said "between the 3 ROUNDS or CARTRIDGES ....."
Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happy birthday and take a look at the 7-08. Rem. has a package deal (scope included) with a synthetic stock. Picked one up for one of my sons. Real nice rig and shoots nicely. I've been loading a 140 gr. bullet for it and the ballistics are excellent.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have been pondering getting a rifle. I live in lower MI so I can't deer hunt with a centerfire, so I have several shotguns, a dedicated slug gun and a nice inline. I also have a 17 HMR, but have been wanting something a bit more powerful.

I have been considering a high powered rifle for a while, I think I want one now. I looked at some of the stevens rifles at Gander Mountain this weekend and was pretty impressed for the money. I don't care for that ugly cheesy plastic stock, but the rest is nice (I'm a wood kind of guy). I used to have a 110E savage in 30-06 and was pretty happy with it. These look like the same thing pretty much.

I also looked at one of the cheaper remingtons, iiick I wasn't impressed at all. They just look cheap to me.

My dilemma has been what caliber do I want. I was flopping around between .223, 22-250 and a .243. I never really did much comparing though. This is what I assumed. The 223 would be cheaper and fairly flat. The 22-250 would probably be the most expensive, but the flattest shooting. I also hear they wear out barrels or something faster? I figured the .243 would be in between as far as price went and probably the least flat shooting, but still pretty good. Not to mention if I ever got the chance to go up north I could hunt deer with it. I could with the others as well, there is no caliber limit in MI, but I would feel more confident with the .243.

Well I got to looking at ammo choices and prices and found that they are all pretty much the same for premium ammo. Sure you can get .223 really cheap, but most of it looked like crap and not really what I wanted. And yes I found a few boxes of 22-250 that were pretty expensive, but I found some pretty pricey .243 ammo as well. I thought DAMN! this doesn't help me any.

I came home today and punched some numbers into a ballistics calculator. I found that winchester makes a 55 grn ballistic tip bullet in all three calibers. I was pretty amazed at what I found. The .243 is hands down the winner. This cartridge flat out rocks and will darn near do anything I want it to depending one what I load it with. It's even flatter than the 17 remington out to 300 yards. I would have never thought that.

My next rifle purchase will undoubtedly be a .243. I may even sell something to get one. Although I'm pretty fond of the guns I currently have. Maybe I'll ask everyone in my family to pitch in and get me one for Christmas or something. Maybe I should have planned this better since my 40th birthday is tomorrow. Oops.

Oh, I'm thinking medium range woodchuck/target gun for the intended purpose

Paul
IF you intend to ever shoot anything bigger thancoyotes with it, get the .243!! BTW, the .243 is flatter shooting than the .223, especially with the varmint-weight bullets, and it also bucks wind much better than any.224" bullet. Yes, you can kill deer with the .22/250 or even the .223, butneither is reommended for such use.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I got one of the savages special runs with the ss fluted barrel friday,just had to take it to the range sat morning to see how it would do.Shooting a few groups that I had loaded up for my rem 243.
The 2 best groups out of the new gun are below useing a 100 gr core-loc and 55 gr sierria.Think it is going to be a shooter.But really got it to make a 260 out of.

Quick Reply: Figured out what caliber I want

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.