Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WD40 for Firearms >

WD40 for Firearms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WD40 for Firearms

Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 PM

Default WD40 for Firearms

Is WD40 Good for firearms??, if so can you use it as a cleaning agent for your barrel?? I put some on my stock, receiver, and extieor barrel and bolt handle and it looked great but was that ok to do it?? Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WD40 for Firearms

WD 40 is not very good for cleaning out powder residue and is useless on copper fouling.It does displace moisture,but it attracts a lot of dust.There are much better cleaners and lubricants for firearms.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wd40 will penetrate your stock and ruin it-get it off QUICK! Best thing for stock is a good stock wax on the finish. As far as the metal,in time it will form a gummy buildup that's hard to get off-both inside and outside. Inside action it will attract dirt,dust,powder residue,etc to cause malfunctions after awhile. Use a good strong cleaner and then a good rust preventive.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jeremyd2012

Is WD40 Good for firearms??, if so can you use it as a cleaning agent for your barrel?? I put some on my stock, receiver, and extieor barrel and bolt handle and it looked great but was that ok to do it?? Thanks
While it will displace water and give some rust protection, there are several strikes against it as a gun oil/solvent.

It is not intended for, nor is it particularly good as a cleaning solvent. It does have penetrating qualities, and has been known to "kill" ammo that got sprayed with it in some carry guns. It tends to build up a gunky, viscous mess in hidden recesses of gunmechanisms where it cannot be wiped out often enough to prevent buildup.

There are much better products for cleaning and preserving firearms than WD-40. I recommend the use of stuff that's made for guns!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I was a Safe & Vault and Locksmith for 31yrs and never, never used Wd-40.

WD-40 gets sticky when it dries and causes internal problems.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

WD40 attracts crud and starts to "gum up" after a while. And also, it'll go through the finish on your stock.

Get a lubricant made for guns (don't put that on your stock either ), I recommend Rem Oil, by remington.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Wd40 will penetrate your stock and ruin it-get it off QUICK!
All machine oils will run tothe stockin the safe unless you place them barrels down.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Don't use it on your guns for regular maintenance. I always keep a can around in case I run into a tight/rusty screw (of course this never happens on *my* guns) but I remove it as soon as I can.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM

is there a certain way to remove it or do i just wipe it off
Old 08-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jeremyd2012

is there a certain way to remove it or do i just wipe it off
I do not know. I wipe it off and clean the gun with the Hoppe's #9 solvent. Some people could argue that mixing two different products is not a good idea.

Quick Reply: WD40 for Firearms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.