Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart" >

Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart"

Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart"

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Great job Fred! When Fred made eye contact with me, the robber would most likely instinctively turn his head to see what Fred was eyeballing. By the time I'd taken aim, I would have shot his knee caps... or the general area. He is an immediate threat to me... I'm not sure if shooting him without reasoning first is against the law, but I'm not about to try to reason with him; its my life I'm dealing with here. I could get shot in the process. A shot below the waste is not attempted murder, so thats what I would do. I'm cant tell you what I'd do next... it depends. Will he drop to the floor and release the weapon? Will he drop to the floor and NOT drop the weapon and aim at me?

A tough scenario, I'll give ya that Matt!
No a shot below is not attempted murder... its malicious wounding with a deadly weapon... and if you openly admit you were not trying to kill him and you hit the femoral artery and he bleeds to death, then you can get sent up for voluntary manslaughter or even 2nd degree murder.....

Always shoot center mass... you are stopping a threat to your life with gunfire... plain and simple.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have shot him outright.... soon as he goes down, or his weapoin is dropped... I'm getting Fred and myself out of the store and calling 911 from the payphone outfront, or the cell phone. I'm staying put unti authorities arrive, and willingly surrender and cooperate.

Soon as that weapon is dropped, or the robber is incapacitated... threat is removed. If he dies... he does... if not... good for him... I'm alive, so is Fred... mission accomplished.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hammer pair to the chest
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

This is going to sound cold as hell to some, but 15 doesn't change anything. A real gun, is a real gun, and it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger,an adult, or a 15 year old kid.the result is still the same. That might make living with it harder, but I am not willing to get shot just beacuse they look 15. I said it before, if they are robbing a store, and using a gun to do it, commiting this illegal violent crime, then why would you believe that they won't use that gun. Age has nothing to do with it.

Lets look at a little history:

Colombine....need I say more

Seems that those kids shot execution style here recently in the news, one of their shooters was a teen age kid. Just food for thought.

I used to be an Army recruiter outside of oakland, a guy I was working with was shot shortly after i left recruiting duty and wasn't able to join. The shooter, some little punk gangbanger.

TO eldequello: you're right in saying,none of us knowhowwe will react in this situation. But regardless of age, itis stillthe innocent vs the criminal, which is why I BELIEVE I could still shoot. Lord, I hope that I never have to find out.

TO robbcaman: i agree, it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I know what you are saying, but what if it was a 15 year old and the gun turned out to be a fake. Or worse yet, he was stealing the money to get his sick little brother a treatment his family couldn't afford. I think most (myself included) assume this is a dangerous killer, but what if it is not? Would this change your attitude on killing him??? After thinking about the situation I may try to get him to drop the gun, if he didn't then he is dead.

Sure, nobody wants to shoot a 15 year old kid. But it still comes down to whether or not you are willing to gamble with Freds life, or yourown. Read the scenario, you have your gun drawn and Fred makes eye contact with you. What do you think that armed criminal is going to do, not bother to look and see.
As far as the gun turning out to be a fake. Until he s down, and somebody canpick it up and see, that guy is still commiting a felony act of Armed Robbery. And as far as what the money is for....cold as it may sound, that is irrelevant. Even if there is a sick little brother, thereare childrens hospitals to help kids like that. Look into the Shriners. IT IS STILL ARMED ROBBERY. IT IS STILL ILLEGAL. If somebody has a gun and are robbing this store that I am in, it is not my responsibility to be like " hey kid, what'cha need that money for" and to reason with him. He has made a concious choice to ROB at GUNPOINT this store. At that age, everybody knows that is wrong and illegal.

See back when I lived in California, and applied for a CCW, and because it was California, it was denied, I continued to try to get it. I was talking with several guys I knew on the Sheriffs Department about carrying...etc. I made a comment that I wasn't looking to carry 100% of the time and to be some gun toting danger to society, lookng to be the vigilante. They told me that if I were to give it to me, that they would hope that I would carry all the time. No sense in giving a permit not to use it. (read this didn't say they wanted me to be the crazy guy vigilante, but somebody that would carry in just this situation.)
I'm just tring to play devils advocate. At the end of the day I am going home no matter what. Most likely I would go for the kill and put the perp down and live with whatever consequences afterwards. I hope it never comes to that, but I will survive.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 PM

If you go to court and you dropped the guy, the lawyer will ask "Why didn't you try to shoot him in the leg or try to wound him instead of killing him?"

Whatever happens, a lawyer will cast it in the worst light possible for you.

It's best to do what you have to do to protect yourself or another from serious harm. Remember, if you go to court, you win, because you survived.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: woofer

No one can say for sure what they'll do!!!! Until you are put in that situation...
Absolutely correct!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prob would of gotton nerves... Fumbled my gun... Scared the Ahole... Ducked back behind the isle... Fred prob would of got iced and the Ahole would of prob gotten away... After it was all over with... I would of second guessed everything that I did... Then I prob would of went to one of those gun trainning course to learn how to act when your in the S!@#
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM

the first truly honest answer from all of us

LOL
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

whack em without hesitation.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

When confronted with deadly force you have the right to defend yourself prettymuch in any state that allows CCW im sure. Also, many states have Good Samaritan laws that protect you from being prosecuted if you act to stop a violent felony in progress.

So yeah if he notices me, I command him to drop the weapon and if he so much as turns slightywith it still in his hand it's3 shots center mass.