Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who Else Hunts With S/S? >

Who Else Hunts With S/S?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who Else Hunts With S/S?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Who Else Hunts With S/S?

I love to hunt upland birds with a side by side shotgun, preferably a 20ga. I just think they point so well and are light and balanced. Anybody else hunt with a side by side?

Here are a few pics of my favorite bird gun. It's a Bernardelli Roma 4, made in Italy back in the 60's just a joy to shoot and to look at.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Who Else Hunts With S/S?

More

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Another

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Site Bouncer

Another

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Site Bouncer

Last one

Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM

I would except for three reasons:

I can't hit worth a lick "most" days that I shoot my dad's SxS. When I'm just shooting clays this is frustrating but ok...when I'm hunting it's not!

The thing kicks me like a mule. I know this all has to do with how the gun fits me (as does the first reason) but after two boxes of 1oz target 12s my shoulder, and more importantly my face, feel like I've shot a whole flat!

The safety needs work...the recoil from the first shot kicks it back on.

I would buy another one but it's down the list a ways...besides it's hard to find a 'decent' one for less than $600.
I love 'em...but I don't hunt with one yet.

If anyone knows of a SxS I should look at let me know. Mossberg makes a surprising O/U but I don't think they make a SxS. The newer Remington/Spartan/Baikal things are hidious. Dehann makes a good looking one for $660 but I get mixed reviews and have yet to see one in person.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

BigJ,

I'm surprised you take such a nice gun out in the woods!

Tom
Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love old s/s's! I hunt dove with a Mdl 21 20 gauge and sometimes back it up with the german Saur.The 21 has the English grip and gives me fits on passing shots but great for flushing quail.That one pictured is a good looking piece,the older Italian guns look better than the new and improved.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOVELY gun! I prefer an SXS shotgun, just as I prefer single-shot or SXS rifles!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
DM

Back in the 40's my dad bought this Remington double 12 from a guy for $50.00... He shot a lot of deer with it, along with ducks, pheasants and other small game. It had 30" bbls and was choked quite tight.[/align][/align][/align][/align] I have 4 brothers, and every one of us used this shotgun when we were kids, man we harvested a PILE of meat for the freezer with it!! Over the years the stock became cracked, nails put in it, taped and glued with screws in it!! Then one day my brother fired it with some snow in the end of one bbl, and buldged that bbl badly!!! Dad took a hacksaw and sawed "that" bbl off, leaving the other one long. For many years after that we fired the shorter bbl that had less choke for close shots, and used the longer "choked bbl" for longer shots![/align][/align] By the time the 80's rolled around, i got the double from dad, and after a time i decided to "fix it all up"... I cut the bbls even, at 27-5/8", blued the gun, and even put a nice piece of Claro walnut on it!! One sear had sheared off the hammer, so i fixed that and also replaced all the springs in it, as one was broken and another had been repaired.[/align][/align][/align][/align] Trust me, it looks MUCH better than these picts are showing it here!!![/align][/align][/align][/align] I saw this checkering on a shotgun, and i really liked it, so it went on my "old" Rem. too...[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align] The last time i hunted phesants with this double, my dog flushed two roosters, and i made a double, a right and a left.... I picked them up, and went about 100 yards and my dog flushed another set of roosters, and i made another double, a right and a left....[/align][/align] Man, i love this old shotgun!!![/align][/align] DM[/align]

Quick Reply: Who Else Hunts With S/S?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.