Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How to measure a group correctly >

How to measure a group correctly

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to measure a group correctly

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default How to measure a group correctly

How do you measure a group size correctly ? Do you measure the distance from centre to centre of the bullet holes or from the edges and detract the calibre size ?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to measure a group correctly

Either one will give you the same measurement, (if you mean the outside edges and subtract)..or just measure the inside edge to the outside edge of the fartherest holes...

Unless I'm shooting in competition, I don't worry about it...I can eyball them to see if they are within what I expect them to be.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: konnari

How do you measure a group size correctly ? Do you measure the distance from centre to centre of the bullet holes or from the edges and detract the calibre size ?
Using the 2 holes with the greatest distance you can do any one of the following and it will give you the same number

1. Center to center
2. Outer edges subtracting bullet diameter
3. Inner edge to outer edge

Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

It makes no difference as any groups reported to the internet are 1/2".....always!!!!

Ideally we measure the two most distant holes center to center using (hopefully) a dial caliper.......but it really don't matter as no matter what it measures...it's 1/2"...unless you're shooting 200 yards and then it's 3/4"
Old 08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It makes no difference as any groups reported to the internet are 1/2".....always!!!!
It is funny how every gun out there shoots less than MOA, and if it doesn't it has to be the gun and not the shooter flinching. We have some that will cut a hole out and others that shoot around 2" at 100 yards. Though all of them are more than accurate enough for hunting.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Ideally we measure the two most distant holes center to center using (hopefully) a dial caliper.......but it really don't matter as no matter what it measures...it's 1/2"...unless you're shooting 200 yards and then it's 3/4"

Vapodog,
You need to get a new gun if all you can get is .5. There aint a deer in the world that's gonna die unless you can shoot .25
Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting for 40 years. I have seen more sub MOA groups here in six months than I have seen in 40 years. You guys are dead on. Tom.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Here is my Devil shot. Subtract the .308 to get the group size.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Have you measured to see if the hole is the same diameter as your bullet? Often, it is not so subtracting the bullet diameter may be shorting yourself.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

As long as I can match or come close to the factory test targets I am a happy camp They can be a little hard to measure, but who's counting

Quick Reply: How to measure a group correctly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.