Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Youth Shotgun >

Youth Shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Shotgun

Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Youth Shotgun

I'm looking for opinions on youth shotguns.
If anyone has one of these, or has used one,please speak up and let me know what you think/thought about the shotgun, pros and cons.

[blockquote]
Remington Model 870 Express JR

Charles Daly Field Hunter VR-MC

Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Combo

Benelli Nova Youth
[/blockquote]

*edit* Or is there another shotgun that I have overlooked that you would like to comment on?

This is for my daughter, we've talked over the differences in 12 gauge and 20 gauge, she want's the 20 gauge.
Any information from experience with any of these shotguns will be appreciated.
Thank You.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Youth Shotgun

depending on her age and size i would say a 12 gauage but if she is young and or small you might go with a 20 gauge to start with i had a mossberg 500 turkey gun i bought at a pawnshop for 200 dollars and loved it

also if you can bought out for a semiauto it might help her with the kick

good luck and it is always good to hear someone getting the kids into our sport

Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM

She has been looking at these shotguns, she wants one in 20 gauge.
Problem is we can't shoot it before we buy it, therefore we don't know if "X" gunkicks like a mule or "X" gun is hard to cycle, etc.

Can the"kick"be figured out by the dropat comb and drop at heel?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

mossberg will giveher an adult length stock for free onceshe has grown into it.(mossberg 500 youth model)
Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my Daughter the Rossi Youth Gun with the 3 barrel combinations in:

.243 center fire
22 LR rim fire
20 Gauge shotgun

All these had the shorter barrels and stock for the Youths to use,the 22 LR worked out great and had the fiber optics on the front and back sights.I put a weaver mount on it and a TroGlo red dot scope.

The .243 barrel had open sights and Ialso puta weaver mount and red dot scope on it too.It shot really well even with the shorter barrel and had a little kick to it.

The 20 gauge barrel was short and usesthe 3 inch 20 gauge shells,I left it with the small round bead on the front of the barrel and used the 3 inch shells in 6-shot turkey loads and after 3 times of shooting it to see what pattern it had I had one heck of a bruised shoulder....and I'm 195 lbs worth of back stop and that short barreled 20 gauge had some serious kick to it...more than my old long barrel mossberg 20 gauge even! [:@]

The Rossi Gun came with a nice black bag to carry the different barrels in it and a neat shoulder strap for carrying,the wood stock has mounts on it for a shoulder strap and the barrels only take a few minutes to change out to a different caliber barrel.

NEF New England Firearms also has a nice looking Youth Gun also.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM

I don't want to limit her to one shot once she starts with the shotgun.
She has a single shot .22 that she shoots targets with right now, so she's learning to make the shot count. But when the ducks are over us, it will be nice for her to be able to take more than one.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the listed shotguns??
Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have any experience with the ones listed. I bought my wife (she's 4'11") a 20 ga. Beretta A303 Youth Model a long time ago. My son, who is 14, recently decided that it is now his... He has used it shooting skeet and likes it a lot.

It's definitely a good choice going with a 20 gauge. A lot of people start their kids out with a .410. The kids can't hit much with it and get discouraged.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only shot the 870 and the Mossberg and either one is excellent. The 20 gauge is perfect to start a kid out with or a woman shooting shotguns. They areeffective and don't kick as bad as a 12 gauge. I shoot a 20 alot because my wrsit is messed up and if I shoot a 12 gauge too much I can hardly move my wrist by the end of the day.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM

I am a small guy so I normally end up with some sort of youth model gun. When I looked around for a pump the Mossberg bantam was the best thing going for a youth model pump shotgun. Not only is the length of pull shorter, but the pump slide has shorter rails to put the pump handle closer to the receiver. In the ready to fire position on the youth model it is in about the same spot it would be on a regular model with the chamber fully open and the slide all the way back.

The mossberg also has an upgrade option later to replace the stock and slide to a regular sized shotgun. When I looked it was also one of the few models that came in a 12 ga. Mine had a ported 12 ga barrel. Mossberg also comes with three chokes, IC, Modified and Full. The remingtons only come with one choke. The mossberg also has the top reciever mounted safety vrs having one in the trigger guard.

The only gun I saw that I liked better in a youth model was the Browning BPS, but it's darn near twice the money. Very nice gun though, really doesn't even compare to a field grade remington or mossberg.

I have shot a few youth model 1100's as well that were pretty nice.

Paul
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Okay, I'mthinking we willgo with theMossberg 500 Super Bantam Combo in 20 gauge. Anyone haveopinions about this set-up for a younghunter?Does anyone have experience with the spacer they use to make it into a 13" LOP? Is that spacer solid? Any problems with the slide? Any comments are welcome.

Quick Reply: Youth Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.