Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Retirement

Old 01-02-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Retirement

I am looking at retiring during 2003. As a result I will have tons of time on my hands. I have only recently become hooked on guns and hunting as well as history of firearms. I would like to continue learning as much as possible, even if I could apprentice with a firearms manufacturer, gunsmith, ammo development, whatever. I would do this on a volunteer basis, i.e. no pay...LOL. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. BTW I am 52. You can feel free to say I am crazy too..LOL.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Retirement

Get into handloading it can really occupy your time. Good luck.

Edited by - handloader1 on 01/03/2003 00:22:42
Old 01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

To satisfy all your wants I'd locate a gunsmith that caters to military weapons. He'll be dealing with non-military weapons as well in order to stay in business, but you will learn a great deal about firearms history from such a smith. I'm sure you could work the counter for minimal pay and learn a great deal in the long run. The suggestion about getting into handloading is an excellent one and you could purchase your equipment from the gunsmith or shop owner on the barter system. I'm jealous of the time you'll soon have available.
In the meantime you should pick up some good books on firearms maintenance, military weapons of the world, and cartridges of the world. That would be a great starting point.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Try looking at your state's Division of Wildlife. They are always looking for help here in Colorado. Lots of interesting projects---- counting antelope on their winter range, transplanting bighorn sheep, milking salmon, blue bird studies etc.

Just a thought