Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

264 Win Mag

Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Spike

Default 264 Win Mag

Looking for comments on this caliber, both pro and con. I would be using it for deer and antelope.
Also, what gun manufacturers sell this caliber and is ammunition (factory) a problem?

Thank you,

Ed
Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 264 Win Mag

Unfortunately the 264 Win Mag is on life support as far as cartridges go, between its reputation as a barrel burner and the historic failure of any 6.5 mm cartridge to really catch on with the masses. I could only find two factory loads for it, Remington and Winchester. As far as rifles you can get a Blaser R93 for $3K and I think Remington had a limited run in the 700 SPS.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

If you get one try and get a 26" barrel.The barrel burning rep came from lower grade steel used at the time and hotrodders not allowing barrels to cool during extended shooting sessions.I'd love to own one and who cares if it's popular why be unique like everyone else?I use several 6.5x55's and would face any thing in North america with the 160gr handload.I've never found a bullet yet even in moose reguardless of angle.........Harold [according to the Hornady6th edition the223WSM showed significant throat erosion after only 350 rounds!]Layne Simpson's 264's still shoot MOA after 10,000 rounds
Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington Sendero SF II.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:11 AM

First off, I think the reputation it has as a barrel burner is alittle overated. We have one that I know gets about 100 rounds through it a year, for the last 8 years and still shoot 1" groups. I would say it's no harder on barrels then the 7mm Rem mag., as their velocitys are equal with the same weight bullets. Both can run a 120 gr. bullet at 3400 fps and both can run 160's at 3000!
Like fizzellr touched on, factory loads (and rifles) are slim pickings and you really need to handload to get the most out of it. Bullets range from some in the 80's and go up to 165 gr. I could see someone burning up a barrel if they were shooting alot of the lighter loads that really scream out of this thing. Just stick with the 120's-165's and you will be fine. In my eye's it is more versitle and shoots flatter than the 270, can do anything the 7mm Rem Mag. can do on deer, elk, and moose, and is a great gun for just about anything (not great bears) in North America.

I just have to say I really do like the 270, it's a great round. So be nice you 270 fans!