Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how do you choose your ammunition? >

how do you choose your ammunition?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how do you choose your ammunition?

Old 12-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default how do you choose your ammunition?

After hearing so many people use the cheap ammunition excuse when choosing a cartridge I must ask just how you choose the loads you hunt with.Do you simply buy whatever load is cheapest and go hunting?Do you test several loads and then choose the one that shoots best in your gun?Do you bother to re zero you gun when changing loads?(brand,bullet weight,style,etc.)
Old 12-29-2002, 09:39 AM

Default RE: how do you choose your ammunition?

I only buy rimfire and shotgun shells and load for all my rifles and handguns. I would have to quess that most all handloaders are like myself and go out to test all changes made in each cartridges. Makes a real good excuse to HAVE to go to the range.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I handload all my hunting ammo also. If I had to use factory ammo I would sight the scope in with Remington ( cheap stuff ), then try several different loads to see which shoots best and then stick with that one. However experience with different brands says that Hornady's factory loads are about the most consistent.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

having bad expiriences with cheap ammo i buy premium now..usually thefederal nosler ballistic tip...this year though my friend taught me to handload and i used sierra game kings and they worked great for me...i choose a round made to expand rapidly like a good hp or a nbt...when changing rounds i always resight in..ive seen some 4+inch changes at 50yds with diffrent rounds...you pay for what you get...ammo is something i dont want cheap of now...i want something thats going to stay together and do its job....
Old 12-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I reload myself but would like to hear from those that use factory loads.A lot of people stated cheap ammo as one of the reasons for choosing their cartridge and that is why I am asking.I am wondering just how important cheap ammo really is to some people.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 12/29/2002 17:12:20
Old 12-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Wally World specials. I like the 180 grain Remington "Core-lokts" out of my 30/06. I've tried 150 grains but my rifle likes the 180's so I stick with them. I will buy 10 or 12 boxes when there are on sale. This way I will get the same lot number. In my elk camp we all shoot 06's and we all shoot Remington 180's. This way we can practice with our rifles generally about every other month, with the bullets we will hunt with.

I have never had a problem with the "Core-lokt" bullets. I have taken 15 elk, 2 black bears, 5 antelope, 5 mule deer, 1 cougar, and 1 whitetail. Lost animals have been 1 elk, not because of the bullet but it's placement. I had killed an elk the year before with my muzzleloader by hitting it in the small of the back breaking it's spine dropping it on the spot. The spike bull was 1/2 way behind a small spruce tree, covering his front 1/2. I decided to line up my muzzleloader on the bull, I was lining-up the sites on it's back & planned on pulling thru the pine & waiting till he stepped out----Well I decided to set the "set-tigger" on my T/C Renegrade------- I was on the wrong trigger, the shot hit the bull in small of the back breaking it's spine anchoring him on the spot. Back to the lost cow elk---This was the following year and I had the exact same shot on a cow. The difference were: 1 it was on a ridge top & if the cow came out she would be gone into the dark timber with the first step. And I had my 06 with a scope so I thought I could place the bullet in the small of the back. Wrong!! I trailed that cow for the rest of the day, several miles in the dark timber. I found a couple of her beds but was never able to catch up to finish the job. That was 20 years ago when I was young & dumb. It would not have mattered what caliber or bullet type, it was a dumb shot!!

In my elk camp the other guys have taken another 15 or so elk over the years again using 180 "Core-lokts" without a problem. And in all honesty most of them have been 1 shot kills.

I've also handloaded my 06 for bighorn & mtn goat. I used 180 Hornady spire points with 56 grains of IMR 4350. I used a friend's press, scales, etc to work up the load. He is a handloader much like you all. He guided me thru the entire process. Anyways with this handload I can have 4 shots touch one another & the 5th would be 1/2 high---- Not bad from sandbags & a hunting rifle. The ram was taken at 160 yards & the goat was taken at about 50 yards. IMO, Remington "Core-lokts" would have the same results.

When I practice shooting, generally I shot my 22 the most. To be honest 20 shots out of the 06 & I don't want to shot anymore. So I will shoot the 22 & the shoot 4 or 5 rounds out of the 06 at various ranges--50 yards to 200 yards. My wife & I will usually use a box of 06 rounds & a couple hundred 22's . With the 06, the target is a clay pigeon, not a paper target. I figure the elk does not care if it's the top of the heart or the bottom---He's dead. With my wife I will generally fill up a 1 liter Pepsi bottle with water & have her shoot at it. She can really tell when it's hit.

As for reloading rifle rounds, I think it's a hobby. Lot's of reloaders like to shoot the tightest groups possible and if that's your thing, Well that's great. To save money well I don't buy it. Not with the 06 like I use. Now, if you a varmit shooter, well that's a different story---You can use up 100's of 22-250 rounds sitting on a good prairie dog town.

Now I have a MEC that I use to reload my shotshells. I'm a trap shooter & generally shoot 4 rounds a week. But that's another story

Hope that explains it, alittle to you Stubblejumper.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Did my post get on the board?
Old 12-29-2002, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stubble as strange as it may seem there are a lot of people that only shoot the cheap stuff .I know quite a few that probably only shoot thier gun once or twice a year and do very well at getting deer . Accuracy is great for those that want it but to a lot of people a one inch group is not that important . I hand load everything I shoot but it wouldn't bother me to use factory ammo if that is all I had available .

Edited by - halcon on 12/29/2002 23:03:23
Old 12-30-2002, 04:09 AM

sine i don't reload yet. i pick my ammo depending on what game i hunt.
i always buy premuim ammo.if my gun likes it i always try to shoot federal premiums.for whitetail deer up in maine that the shots will be from point blank ranges to a possible 200yds. i like a bullet that will expand instantly but still hold up under those velocities.
the only other big game animal i can hunt without spending $$$$ would be black bear. so i try to pick a more bonded bullet that will hold better in there tough body frame.
but i buy cheap ammo only to break in my guns

Old 12-30-2002, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used core-lokts in my 243 cause that is what my dad used. I have never had them let me down. I have no problems using that particular 'cheap' ammo.
I have a 44 mag rifle, that I am still searching for a good bullet. I've tried the 10$ a box ammo up to the 30$ a box, and haven't really liked any of it. I will try and find a handload by next season.

Quick Reply: how do you choose your ammunition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.