Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7.62x39

Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7.62x39

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Thespeed of the 7.62x39 and the 30-30 are both around 2000 ft/sec. How do I know this? I load both rounds and have put them through a chrono.(1980 ft/sec). The .308 is around 1000 ft/sec faster. This gives it much better hitting power. The .308 is far superior in accuracy and why it is the sniper's choice.
Do ya want a cookie now?

also the 7.62 being the snipers choice has alot more to do with logistics than its accuracy. I think if a sniper actually had a choice he would probably opt for a 50 and for light work a 300 win mag.

Im also curious how everyone knows the 7.62x39mm is infact an innaccurate cartridge?????? please tell me id like to know .... is it because you've only seen it shot from innaccurate AK's and SKS'?? before ya go flappin you fingers and typing something you know nothing about you might try the 7.62x39mm in a bolt action you will be quite surprised just how accurate it actually is.....
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

HighDesertWolf,I did not say that the 7.62x39 was inaccurate but that the .308 is much more accurate. Perhaps that was too general a statement and I should have stated, "at extended ranges". Accuracy has much more to do with the shooter and the gun than the size of the round. I will agree with you that at shorter ranges of 100, 200 yards, the 7.62x39 can be as accurate as any round when delivered by a quality marksman with a quality gun. But with that said, you can not compare the 7.62x39 to the .308 at extended ranges of 400, 500 yards or more. The two are not even in the same league.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM

My "inaccurate" AK shot a group I could cover with my finger this week. Granted it is not a military version, but a Saiga chambered for .223. 7.62X39 gets a bad rap from folks using cheap ammo in rifles that were not designed for accuracy in the first place. Also, it is an intermediate range round to begin with, as the ballistics get pretty dismal out past 250. The Wolf ammo I used this week in 7.62X39 was worse than any other ammo I have ever used, it was all over the paper, and many rounds had a bad primer. Also, my barrel looked like that of a muzzleloader after only a few rounds, so I have my doubts about it being non-corrosive as well. Maybe the demands placed on the ammunition industry lately have caused the dip in quality. I know Remington makes cor-lokt in this caliber, so I'll try that next. I don't expect SMOA out of the rifle I am using, but I expect the performance to pick up with better ammo.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM

My siaga 7.62x39 was the biggest most innacurate POS I have ever owned. I don't think you could hit the broad side of a barn, from inside the barn! I traded it for a marlin .22 and some paintball crap.

I did have an SKS that was fairly accurate with premium ammo. And I have seen bolt actions shoot this round very well. It's not really the cartridge but rather the sloppy guns it was designed to be used in. They were built to function, not be really accurate weapons.

Paul
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My "inaccurate" AK shot a group I could cover with my finger this week. Granted it is not a military version, but a Saiga chambered for .223. 7.62X39 gets a bad rap from folks using cheap ammo in rifles that were not designed for accuracy in the first place. Also, it is an intermediate range round to begin with, as the ballistics get pretty dismal out past 250. The Wolf ammo I used this week in 7.62X39 was worse than any other ammo I have ever used, it was all over the paper, and many rounds had a bad primer. Also, my barrel looked like that of a muzzleloader after only a few rounds, so I have my doubts about it being non-corrosive as well. Maybe the demands placed on the ammunition industry lately have caused the dip in quality. I know Remington makes cor-lokt in this caliber, so I'll try that next. I don't expect SMOA out of the rifle I am using, but I expect the performance to pick up with better ammo.

at whay kind of range? 25 feet?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

HighDesertWolf,I did not say that the 7.62x39 was inaccurate but that the .308 is much more accurate. Perhaps that was too general a statement and I should have stated, "at extended ranges". Accuracy has much more to do with the shooter and the gun than the size of the round. I will agree with you that at shorter ranges of 100, 200 yards, the 7.62x39 can be as accurate as any round when delivered by a quality marksman with a quality gun. But with that said, you can not compare the 7.62x39 to the .308 at extended ranges of 400, 500 yards or more. The two are not even in the same league.
sorry! my second paragraph was directed at the others not you my friend
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Np HighDesertWolf. As my grandfather used to say, rest his soul, "it's not the gun it's the gunner."But with someof the surplus forgien guns the actions are sometomes sloppy and I think you are lucky if you get a tight one. This could be the problem that some are having with the accuacy of their guns.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

at whay kind of range? 25 feet?
It was at 100 yards. It was also only one group. I know I got lucky, so I didn't fire a fourth shot into the group. My other groups were 1.5" and another one just under 2". The gun shoots really well inside of 150, but over that it is more unpredictable.

I knew I'd get somebody with that one!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt deer with 7.62x39 outta a mini mauser. I know the 308win has more speed power but it also has alot more recoil. I don't shoot deer over 250yards, usually don't shoot them over 250ft so I don't mind slower, weaker, soft kicking round one bit.

As a side note even with today's crazy ammo prices the 7.62x39 is still at most 5bucks a box of 20, My rifle will shoot that box of 20 into a 2inch group @ 100yds any day of the week. So you won't hear a complaint outta me!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, any one thinking a 7.62X39 isn't accurate or that it cant put a deer down with one shot has some thing to learn.
i have these in 7.62X39
SKS....................may be 4'' group never hunted with it
mini-30...............at best 2'' 2 deer ,but i was very close
AR-15................ less than 1'' taken several deer
encore 24''.........less than 1'' 1 deer@ 200 yd
encorepistol 10''..less than 1'', have shot it to two hundred yd 2'' group 5 shots

Quick Reply: 7.62x39

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.