Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Using Leupolds Boone and Crockett reticle..? >

Using Leupolds Boone and Crockett reticle..?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Using Leupolds Boone and Crockett reticle..?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default Using Leupolds Boone and Crockett reticle..?

I just put a VX-III 3.4-10X40mm on my .300RSAUM. The scope came with instructions on how to use to scope, and Im having a bit of trouble figuring out things. The booklet has 3 charts of calibers and what yardarge to zero in at (200 or 300) They apparently base the system off of velocities, and going off my reloading handbook, I'll be pushing about 3004fps with a 165gr partition. This velocity mathes chart "C" which has me zeroing in at 300yrds, yet at the bottom of the chart its says (less than 35 inches of drop at 500yards). I couldn't find ballistics chart for my gun, but basing off of a normal .300 RUM, there is about 37.8 at 500yrds, and using that I would use Leupolds chart "A" which says (35-45in of drop at 500 yards) yet in the chart "A" the closest velocity to my .300SAUM is that of 2950fps out of .300WBY, .300WIN, and .300WSM. I'm a bit confused as to which route to go. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

**I emailed Leupold and they told me to check the chart (this was before I knew they had that little chart..so I may have to re-contact them....or Nosler to clear up my ballistics.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using Leupolds Boone and Crockett reticle..?

The other thing that the chart says is that you have to shoot your rifle at those ranges, because they are sort of a +/- thing.

One way or another, they are pretty dad'gum close for the most part.

A friend using my .330 Dakota achored a Zebra at close to 550 yards using that B&C reticle. He had never taken at shot at over 250 yards in his life. He stuck the zebra well at 150, and it ran out into a flat pan.... stopped, and let his brother hit it with the rangefinder. He used the bottom reticle, and smacked it right through the pump. Luck... maybe... but it worked.