Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger Job VS Safety >

Trigger Job VS Safety

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger Job VS Safety

Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trigger Job VS Safety

I am not a big range shooter. I go just enough to know I can make the shots I need to make while hunting. Shooting 1/2 inch groups is not that important to me. It's nice, just not important. Although lately I've been getting into it a little more. My question is...if I have been doing just fine without ever having a trigger job while hunting, is it worth having it done? I know it would help me shoot better and I would really like that, but how much do you guys feel it compromises safety, if any? Just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject before I take my guns to the smith!

Thanks Bryan
Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Trigger Job VS Safety

How do you "KNOW" it will make you shoot better? Unless your trigger is really heavy and crappy I honestly don't think it will make huge difference unless you are getting into target shooting or something. It might make it more pleasant to shoot though if you you shoot a lot.

I feel accuracy has more to do with proper trigger control rather than how easy it is to pull. I could shoot with a pretty heavy trigger as long as breaks clean. Having too light of a trigger may cause you to start slapping the trigger and actually shoot worse in the long run.

My opinion anyway, I'm sure some will have a different one.

Paul
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you comfortable and confident with the trigger set up you have now? As you stated you have no difficulty hunting with it. If it ain't broke why fix it? What is the distance you are shooting 1/2 in. groups at? If it is at 100 yards or more then you're fine. As you know you are still well within the kill zone at 1/2 in. It's more the gunner than the gun.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a heay trigger pull hunting in Cold Climates of British Columbia..
When its minus -10 to-40 andmy fingers are numb or frozenthe last thing I want is is toaccidently
pull the trigger early before I'm actually ready to shoot..

Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

"My question is...if I have been doing just fine without ever having a trigger job while hunting, is it worth having it done? I know it would help me shoot better and I would really like that, but how much do you guys feel it compromises safety, if any?"

In your case, since you are a hunter and are getting your game, I don't think you need to pay for a trigger job. A trigger job done by a competent gunsmith does not compromise safety at all, BUT there are some shooters out there who can't be trusted with a light trigger! It is not the gun, but the shooter I worry about!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 3lb. trigger is a 3lb. trigger regardless of whether it is factory or aftermarket. You certainly do not need to compromise safety by having a trigger tuned or replaced, and there is no need to have a 1 1/2 lb. pull if you don't want that.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
bigcountry

Everything most of us do on this page is overkill, and not needed in 95% of the cases. But its what we like. I can't say my groups have went down after I took out all that creep out of a trigger. But I like the way it feels. And its my hobby and passion.

I will say, I have seen alot of folks with triggers set way too low for the field, to the point it might be dangerous.

I have a dilemma right now. My lever 45-70 has the typical crappy marlin trigger. Heavy, alot of creep. And at the range, I think I could lower my group size with a drop in WW trigger replacement. But I use this gun in cold weather. All shots where I use this gun is under 100 yards. In fact, longest shot I have killed with it is 65 yards. When I use this gun, I usually have a glove on. So, I am keeping it at the 8 to whatever lb pull.

Every case is different.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve read a number of times about trigger weight and how nice when it snaps at 3 lbs. but I have never been one to be to concern about it. What are my rifles set at is a good question and maybe one day I’ll get a gauge... I had to sight in a friends old Parker Hale one day with lots of creep and it was terrible. Never knew when it was going to go off. The creep would more of a concern then weight...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: trailer

I’ve read a number of times about trigger weight and how nice when it snaps at 3 lbs. but I have never been one to be to concern about it. What are my rifles set at is a good question and maybe one day I’ll get a gauge... I had to sight in a friends old Parker Hale one day with lots of creep and it was terrible. Never knew when it was going to go off. The creep would more of a concern then weight...
I will definately agree with this statement. Creep feels cheap. Creep builds anticipation. And Creep does not feel like a well tuned machine.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Everything most of us do on this page is overkill, and not needed in 95% of the cases."

Right on the money. Unless you are after very small groups on a target, a trigger pull lighter than three pounds is overkill and could be dangerous in the field.My favorite rifle of all time is a Mathieu that i still own.The trigger and sear are 03 Springfield two stage military.The pullisjust over fourpounds,and i love it.

Quick Reply: Trigger Job VS Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.