Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle went off in my hands!!!!! >

Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

ORIGINAL: redhead522

I had just purchased a Sako 75 rifle in 25-06. I had taken the stock off of the action/barrel to lower the trigger pull, as instructed in the manual. I was checking various parts of the gun to ensure that they looked up to par. I then loaded up the box magazinea few times andcycled through itto make sure that it fed properly.On the fourth or fifthtime I was cycling the gun,itwent off in my hands!! I know I didn't touch the trigger. I had it pointed in a safe direction of course, (well, safe for everything except my truck. My passenger side door doesn't work anymore.) Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I contact Sako? I'm not a lawsuit happy person, but would Sakobe responsible for the damage to my truck?
There was once a store called Gibson's in Copperas Cove TX. A woman bought a little cheapie derringer type pistol there one day, loaded it, pointed it at her hand, and shot a hole in her hand. Whether she did this on purpose or not is unknown, but she sued Gibsons and the pistol manufacturer.

The Texas judge, being a relatively intelligent type, tossed her suit and told her not to come back.

I think your problem is in the same category! You should NOT EVER test a gun like you did unless you are at a safe firing range, and have the muzzle pointed toward the targets. Do your feeding tests with DUMMY cartridges.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 AM

I overadjusted my Savage's accutrigger and the firing pin engaged when I cycled the bolt. But nothing was shot. Why? Because the only thing in that gun was a spent primer (it's a muzzleloader). Next time use fired brass or dummy rounds for testing, please.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okcmco

But I got the scare of my life along with feeling like an ass.....and no one was hurt. This lesson has stuck with me more than any mantra from Jeff Cooper. And no one was hurt. I am glad you were not hurt, either. And you will never forget the lesson.
This is a very true statement.

Anyone who has ever read any Robert Ruark at length probably remembers him writing of how his grandpa taught him how to shoot quail and how to be safe with firearms. And espeically about how is grandpa told him not to take the safety off until after the birds got up, and as he was shouldering the gun. Then his grandad told him to give it a try on a pinecone dry, and not knowing his grandad had reloaded the gun, he pulled up on that pinecone thinking he was dry firing. BOOM! And as he wrote that at the age of 50, he said that he NEVER EVER had forgotten how bad that scared him.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

RedHead,

Along with the important lesson you just learned, I feel you now bear the respondsibility to tell as many people that you know that handle fire arms. You could save a life.

I will tell you about the only time I've ever had a mishap with a gun. I was at the range with my K31. I grabbed the rifle and attempted to move it into better position and my hand slipped striking the trigger and setting the gun off. Luckily it was pointed down range. Something I had always known was now cemented in my brain. Always keep your rifle pointed down range/safe direction.

Tom
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I wouldn't adjusta trigger, even those on my Sakos, without having a trigger pull gauge to know exactly what pull weight I'm adjusting it to. If it's adjustedoutsidethe range the manufacturer says it can or should be adjusted to, then you should expect problems.

Anyway, glad you're okay and hope you've learned a valuable lesson.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cannot add a thing to what cma and bigcountry have already said on the subject.i use a procedure much like theirs to ensure that the rifle will not fire when slapped around. Additionally, i also slap the crap out of the stock with the heel of my hand. It isa good idea to take the scope off beforebanging the rifle around.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

So you decided to adjust the fire control mechanism on a rifle and then decided to test it with live ammo?????????
Are you friggin kidding me????????

Here's your sign!

I wouldn't think the gun should be able to adjust so loose that it can go off.
From the manual...
WARNING! FOR SAFETY REASON DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REDUCE THE TRIGGER PRESSURE BELOW 10 NEWTONS (2 LBS).

Did you check the trigger pull weight before you decided it was a good idea to test it with live ammo? I suspect that yours was adjusted to about a half pound or less.

Not trying to shift the point of blame, but I do find it interesting that the manual never gave me the same great advice on testing the actionyou guys did.
From the manual...
Both the sear engagement and safety are set at the factory and need no adjustment of any kind. CAUTION! The sear engagement, safety and other components of the action are precision mechanisms, which were properly adjusted at the factory. They should not be altered, modified or changed. Modifications ot the firearm may decrease its safety and increase the risk of serious injury.

And they on top of that they also provide you with another brochure that includes safety rules for you to follow.

#1. NEVER POINT A FIREARM AT SOMETHING THAT IS NOT SAFE TO SHOOT. You pointed it at a truck.

#2. ALWAYS TREAT A FIREARM AS IF IT WERE LOADED. Yours was.

#5 KNOW THE SAFETY FEATURES OF THE FIREARM THAT YOU ARE USING, BUT REMEMBER: SAFETY DEVICES ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SAFE HANDLING PROCEDURES. You tested trigger adjustments with live ammo.

I think that Sako gave you plenty enough print material to keep you from doing something like this. The blame is yours and no one elses. Hopefully you learned from this and will never do something like this again.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

So you decided to adjust the fire control mechanism on a rifle and then decided to test it with live ammo?????????
Are you friggin kidding me????????
You know I don't mean to laugh. But this struck me funny. I can see Bigbulls sitting there with a serious look shaking his head in disbelief. Its what we all were thinking.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to check what the instructions on the Sako manual had for trigger adjustment but I don’t think I have to now...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can see Bigbulls sitting there with a serious look shaking his head in disbelief.
That's exactly what I was doing.

This reminds me of the McDonalds law suits.

"Shouldn't Mconalds have a warning on their menu thattells me ifI eat too much of this fatty food that I may end up getting fat and die of a heart attack?"

Quick Reply: Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.