Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weaver Rings? >

Weaver Rings?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weaver Rings?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weaver Rings?

What do you guys think about Weaver scope rings. I just got a Rem 270 with them aleready on the gun. They are the open style, kinda dove tail like. A couple of people told me they were junk and they would give and flex. I don't really want to spend the money, but I don't want junk on my gun either.The scope, Nikon Pro Staff,is my first 50mm scope and I want it to be right.

Thanks Bryan
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weaver Rings?

I've had a pair of Weaver rings on a Springfield sporter for close to 40 yr. I'm on my second scope. I've never noticed any movement whatsoever. Assuming similar quality, I'd get another pair if I had a reason to. I think they are simple and solid. They aren't very sexy though.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weaver Rings?

The Weaver steel bases and rings are very strong. They are also idiot proof when it comes to installation. If your mounting holes are squared, then your scope will be true and straight.

I would not give a nickel for any aluminum bases and rings. If yours are aluminum I would replace them. I mainly use the Warne "Weaver Style" steel bases and rings. As mentioned above they are sexier, but I do not believe they are stronger. I have seen some scopes scratched when the rollover Weaver rings are used-but that is strictly pilot error. The rings are very strong.

The most popular base out there now is called "Picatinney Style", which is basically an extended Weaver base. Tom.