Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Almost blew myself up yesterday >

Almost blew myself up yesterday

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Almost blew myself up yesterday

Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Almost blew myself up yesterday

Yesterday I had an interesting experience with my 22-250 that could've resulted in injury, so I wanted to share it with you. It's nothing we haven't heard a dozen times before, but it's worth repeating.[/align][/align]I pulled the trigger, and felt/heard nothing. I worked the bolt, and out popped an empty hull with a dented primer. "Hmmmm," I thought. "I must've inserted a previously fired hull. Never done that before." Because I was in imminent danger of being overrun by hordes of ferocious ground squirrels, I jacked in a fresh shell. However, it stopped 1/16"-1/8" short of fitting into the chamber. Because I neck size only, I first figured it was just a tight round. [/align][/align]Here's where I lucked out. In my younger, impatient, get-a-bigger-hammer days, I'd have just forced the round into place and proceeded to shoot. However, older-and-wiser Bruce decided to double check. Even though I was SURE nothing was amiss, I looked down the barrel. Even though I saw nothing but black, I figured it was just because of the bright sunlight, long barrel (26" plus muzzle brake) andsmall caliber. Although I was STILL SURE everything was OK, Ireturned to the truck and grabbed a cleaning rod.[/align][/align]Imagine my surprise when a little tap dislodged a 52 grain Sierra! Good thing I didn't try to touch off a fresh round! [/align][/align]Although I've probably loaded 10,000 rounds in my life, this was the first time I've loadedone without powder. Lesson #1: There's a first time for everything.[/align][/align]With hearing protection, a light-recoiling round, and 14# rifle, it's possible to not hear or feel anything. Lesson #2: Never assume it's a dud. It may be a squib.[/align][/align]Lesson #3: Never force anything.[/align][/align]Lesson #4: Unless you're being atacked by the Fifth Dismounted Hells Angels and you're1/2 second from certain death, always take a deep breath, relax, and double-check everything before putting your finger back on the trigger.[/align]
Old 06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Almost blew myself up yesterday

Exact same thing happened to me with a 357sig. I just got a Lee 1000 progressive, and when powder gets little low, sometimes won't pour much or any powder. I was 1/16" from getting another round to fullyload. Finally found the bullet. Glad to hear it all worked out.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just one reason that I don't use a progressive press.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Spike

Thanks for the warning. Seems young or old we need to be reminded to
pay attention and slow down abit. I'd go on vacations with my son and
seem to come back limping or healing. It got to the point when we'd leave my wife would say, " don't do anything stupid". Now that I'm retired
I trynot to do anything that will ruin my retirement.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I also reload.Lets say it got logged in their to the point where you cant get it out.Could you load a round with just a primer and no bullet and try to get it out with that?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Bartender

Glad it worked out pal
Old 06-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Just one reason that I don't use a progressive press.
Just one reason I don't reload, I might screw up a cartridge.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Younggun,

It has happened to me in an AR-15 with Winchester Factory ammo. It can happen in many ways even beyond your screw ups. Shoot safe everybody!

Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTM

Yesterday I had an interesting experience with my 22-250 that could've resulted in injury, so I wanted to share it with you. It's nothing we haven't heard a dozen times before, but it's worth repeating.
[/align]
[/align]I pulled the trigger, and felt/heard nothing. I worked the bolt, and out popped an empty hull with a dented primer. "Hmmmm," I thought. "I must've inserted a previously fired hull. Never done that before." Because I was in imminent danger of being overrun by hordes of ferocious ground squirrels, I jacked in a fresh shell. However, it stopped 1/16"-1/8" short of fitting into the chamber. Because I neck size only, I first figured it was just a tight round.
[/align]
[/align]Here's where I lucked out. In my younger, impatient, get-a-bigger-hammer days, I'd have just forced the round into place and proceeded to shoot. However, older-and-wiser Bruce decided to double check. Even though I was SURE nothing was amiss, I looked down the barrel. Even though I saw nothing but black, I figured it was just because of the bright sunlight, long barrel (26" plus muzzle brake) andsmall caliber. Although I was STILL SURE everything was OK, Ireturned to the truck and grabbed a cleaning rod.
[/align]
[/align]Imagine my surprise when a little tap dislodged a 52 grain Sierra! Good thing I didn't try to touch off a fresh round!
[/align]
[/align]Although I've probably loaded 10,000 rounds in my life, this was the first time I've loadedone without powder. Lesson #1: There's a first time for everything.
[/align]
[/align]With hearing protection, a light-recoiling round, and 14# rifle, it's possible to not hear or feel anything. Lesson #2: Never assume it's a dud. It may be a squib.
[/align]
[/align]Lesson #3: Never force anything.
[/align]
[/align]Lesson #4: Unless you're being atacked by the Fifth Dismounted Hells Angels and you're1/2 second from certain death, always take a deep breath, relax, and double-check everything before putting your finger back on the trigger.
[/align]
Why did the load do that? Did it lack powder??
Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun308
Just one reason I don't reload, I might screw up a cartridge.
You certainly have to pay attention to what you're doing when you are charging cases and seating bullets. But when the day comes that I can't make better ammo than the factories do, I will quit!

Quick Reply: Almost blew myself up yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.