Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber Selection >

Caliber Selection

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber Selection

Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Caliber Selection

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

I'm 5'10" and weigh202 lbs. I lift weights, I run, I can hang with any of the hard core chix in the aerobics classes, and I'm a practicing black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I'd like to think I'm decently muscled, reasonably fit, and more flexible than most.

FC
This is a hunting site..... I think you meant to post this in the girlfriend finder site....[8D]

OBTWI wish that the term Magnum was never created. It always causes a stir. Magnum is nothing more than a marketing ploy. some people won't buy anything that doesn't say Magnum, and other won't buy anything that does say magnum. Blah, blah, blah! The 300 WSM is a reasonable choice given the parameters that the customer set.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good old .30/06
Good answer. There is nothing on the North American continent that you can't kill with a 30-06 and darn few animals on the planetthat are too tough for it.Not to mention the added bonus of being able to find a wide selection of bullets virtually anywhere.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I'm 5'10" and weigh202 lbs. I lift weights, I run, I can hang with any of the hard core chix in the aerobics classes, and I'm a practicing black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I'd like to think I'm decently muscled, reasonably fit, and more flexible than most.

FC
This is a hunting site..... I think you meant to post this in the girlfriend finder site....[8D]

OBTWI wish that the term Magnum was never created. It always causes a stir. Magnum is nothing more than a marketing ploy. some people won't buy anything that doesn't say Magnum, and other won't buy anything that does say magnum. Blah, blah, blah! The 300 WSM is a reasonable choice given the parameters that the customer set.
You've got it all backwards, Shato - I talk about my Magnum when I'm on the girlfriend finder site!

FC
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not even every adult needs a Magnum rifle. For all NA game at least in the lower 48 states the 270, 280 and 30-06 have been doing it for nearly a century. Throw in the 308 and 7x57, 7mm-08 and 6.5x55 as well. Any of those have plenty of bullet weight for penetration and all shoot flat enough. WHERE YOU PUT THE BULLET IS UPTEEN TIMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT YOU PUT IT THERE WITH. !!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Darn that 30-06! Its just boring...it eliminates the need for a cabinet full of rifles... Does everything good but nothing great...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not considering the mag. loads for a new hunter, I would suggest the ,270 or the 30-06. Both will do the job fine on all the game listed
Old 06-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

.308 is good, but yeah, a 30-06 is better,

I would think that the .270 wouldn't be as good of a deer cartridge than the .308, because people don't normally make the practice of shooting deer at 400 yards.

The 30-06 trajectory is quite similar to the .308's.
At 400 yards, the .308 drops 54 inches, and at 400 yards, the 30-06 drops 50 inches.
I read that on a Chuck Hawk's article.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 AM

I talk about my Magnum when I'm on the girlfriend finder site!

FC
Once again you're on the wrong site..... You need to post that in the TALL TALE section.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I talk about my Magnum when I'm on the girlfriend finder site!

FC
Once again you're on the wrong site..... You need to post that in the TALL TALE section.
Or, perhaps, more appropriately,on the L O N G Tales section.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where are my hip boots when I need them?

Doe Dumper, the 30-06 does everything GREAT and a few things good.However you are right, it endangers the logic of a full gun safe.

Quick Reply: Caliber Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.