Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

K31 ID Tag

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default K31 ID Tag

I bought a scanner and have been archiving old photos and whatnot.Here is the ID tag I found behind the buttplate of my Swiss K31. It was issued to Rudolf "Ruedi" Gerber, born in 1932.He was assigned to the 15th Anti-Tank Company in his town, Zollbrück (of which there are a few in Switzerland).As for the reverse...I'm not sure what those numbers represent.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: K31 ID Tag

Neat, man, neat, pretty cool that the tag followed the rifle all these years.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could it be rifle serial number?
If he was born in 1932, he woud have started his service in 1950-1951, the number corresponds with a 1951 serial number.http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt...ml#manufacture.

I can't remember if the stocks have serial numbers in thebarrel channels or not, but usually the year of manufacture is stamped under the butt plate, the yea rof manufacture is also usually stamped on the receiver tang and/or bolt. I have two mismatched rifles- one with a replacement bolt and another with a replacement stock, so it does happen with swiss rifles.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to find out more about your tag go here: http://p083.ezboard.com/StraightPull-Rifles/ftheswissriflesdotcommessageboardfrm8

I also had a tag in my rifle but I've had no interest in finding out about it. Mine is a real sweet shooter. How does yours shoot?
Tom
Old 06-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my 'beater' k-31 with a mismatched stock that I paid a grand total of $59 for. It has a clamp on scope mount attached- I highly recommend these mounts. On the other end of the spectrum, the last K-31 I bought about a year ago, has a red stripe painted around the foreend of the stock signifying it was used for target competition- its the best shooter out of the bunch, it will shoot close to MOA with a scope attached and with handloads- I haven't experimented with adjusting the bedding, it could probably be capable of better. I currently have 7 of them, they all shootnearly the same- amazingly well
Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Briman,

The interesting thing about my K31 is that even with handloads it still shoots the standard FMJ ammo the best. I can't recall the name of the ammo but it is the silver tipped bullets that come in the small white box.

Mine is also an extremely good shooter.

Any chance I could see a picture of the one with the red stripe? I've never seen one of those.

Tom
Old 06-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

GP-11 ammo.
Its as good as any match grade ammo made.
My handloads shoot about as good as the GP-11, just with a lot less recoil.
The GP-11 bullets have a boat tail on them, are profiled similar to a VLD bullet and have a diameter of .3075"
The K-31 bore dimensions are a bit smaller (0.296-0.297 x 0.3075) than a standard 30 caliber (0.300x0.308 surplus springfields tend to run closer to 0.310") part of the reason why its harder to do better with handloads may be becauseof the dimensions of standard .308 bullets- that's just my theory though.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those GP-11 cartridges sound like full-blown hunting cartridges to me, with it being boattail and all.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could it be rifle serial number?
If he was born in 1932, he woud have started his service in 1950-1951, the number corresponds with a 1951 serial number.http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt...ml#manufacture.

I can't remember if the stocks have serial numbers in thebarrel channels or not, but usually the year of manufacture is stamped under the butt plate, the yea rof manufacture is also usually stamped on the receiver tang and/or bolt. I have two mismatched rifles- one with a replacement bolt and another with a replacement stock, so it does happen with swiss rifles.
I was thinking it's probably the serial number, but I need to strip the rifle down and have a close look. I've taken it outbefore but am waiting for new glasses (a week overdue) before Ihead back to the range and strip it down for cleaning. The buttplate is stamped with 53, which fits in with the time frame. The compulsory service age is20.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot it yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.