Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 WMR?

Old 12-22-2002, 02:54 PM

Default .22 WMR?

im considering buying a Marlin 25MN and am trying to learn a lot about this gun and load before buying one.
My questions are:
1. What would be the largest animal i could humanely kill
2. What would be the max range w/ a 3-9x50mm scope
3. Just how much longer is the .22WMR shell then the .22LR
4. How much more accurate?

Thanx in advance guys
Old 12-22-2002, 04:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: .22 WMR?

I've got a 25mn with a bushnell trophy 3x9. My rifle is very accurate with the 34gr winchester supreme loads. I've taken several brush wolves with it at and under 100 yards, both chest and head shots. I've never had to shoot one more than once. For smaller game I'll go out to 175 yards. The 22 wmr can be more or less accurate than a .22 long rifle. It depends entirely on the rifle, and how much it likes its favorite brand of ammo. For an affordable, accurate small-medium game rifle, the 25mn is an excellent choice.

You can't eat what you miss!
Old 12-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Host of Hosts

I really like my 25MN, it shoots good groups. I don't hunt much with it so I can't comment on the game question.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 12-22-2002, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

..Ok here is 30 years,of on and off hunting with the
22 mag,they are not what people say they are,ive lost
deer,three big gobblers,lots of other game,so dont let
someone put them into small centerfire class,such as the
22 hornet,223 caliber,222 caliber,17 caliber,because the
caliber is weak,for some game,some will disbute this,
(But i have been there dun-that)......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 12-22-2002, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with TOTOE...The 22mag is no turkey gun, unless you are EXTREMELY close.

They are esentially a deer poachers dream. I'm sure that more deer are poached with a 22mag than any other caliber.

That said, they will do a number on chucks or coyotes. They are also a great squirrel gun.

Old 12-22-2002, 10:04 PM

they are not made to take deer with.they are good for coyotes and ground hogs.
mainly small game.some will dispute this also,as totoe said.I know there has been a lot of deer been taken with a 22lr.that is not to say it can't be done,just that they are not made to do it.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Marlin 25MN topped with a Simmons 3X9 and I am very pleased with the accuracy. I generally shoot CCI Maxi Mags, but it shoots pretty much all the ammo I have fed it so far. Some folks use the 22 WMR for coyotes, but I feel it is too light unless they are under 50 yards and you can get a good head shot. The cartridge is basically a light varmint round and works best on groundhog sized game and under. I use mine for squirrels mostly and the occasional feral cat or bothersome possum. When you ask about max range are you talking targets or animals? It is a trick to shoot a good group at 200 yards if there is any kind of breeze and on animals it is best at 150 and under. The 22 WMR case is almost twice as long as the 22 LR and is slightly larger in diameter making it unsafe to fire 22 LR in a 22 WMR chambered firearm. Accuracy depends more on the rifle and shooter than the cartridge. It is flatter with a bit more downrange energy but again, it is by no stretch of the imagination suitable for deer sized game.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:03 PM

I have aRuger M77 WRM with a Simons 3-9x and love the gun. Handles very well and shoots nice tight groups. Personally, I think it is a grown-ups version of the .22 we played with as a kid. Little bigger pop and a little more range, but basically a big .22. I shoot ground hogs, porkies, skunks, 'possums and coyotes. I have never heard of shooting turkeys with a rifle and there is no way that I would try and kill a whitetail with the gun (although I believe that the poachers do).

Bottom line: it is a nice gun but it has its limitations when it comes to killing anything bigger than a coyote.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:36 PM

Thanx, i cant decide if i want a semi auto .22LR or the 25MN? fundage isnt a problem for either but i want to stay under the 200 dollar range!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

DEHunter I might have sent you an email or two, my buddy is DEHunter001, he lives in Smyrna and sometimes I think I forget the 001 and send it. I live in Townsend, hunt around Smyrna and near Jeffersons Crossroads in Sussex. Go to www.MarlinFirearms.com and click on rimfire rifles and see what everyone says about the 25 it seems to be positive feedbzck. Is there ant land for sale in your part of the state I am tired of living in New Castle county, I grew up in Georgetown a loooooong time ago. Ron Mears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.