Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45.70

338, to be honest with you I have shot around 10 deer with that load and have not recovered a bullet yet. If it helps any the exit holes have been around twice the size of the entrance. As long long as you get a good ribcage shot there is very little meat damage and haven't had one travel more than 5 or 10 yds from where they were hit. Just luck I guess. It is my primary choice for hunting in the thick woods and black bear.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45.70

I think it's kinda funny that Larry338 would say that "from experience" the .45-70 isn't fun to shoot on the bench...especially since his name implies he shoots .338. I've shot a lot of .45-70, and have never had even a handloaded hot round kick hard enough to even compare with a light loaded .338, even with a stout loaded .30-06. They bark like hell, so they may seem to kick, but it's a big hole in a short barrel, it's all bark, no reall bite...on this end at least.

BUY THE GUN!!!! Those marlins are awesome, I have had a few in .45-70, and more in .44 mag, only advice is to either buy premium or roll your own, cuz factory loads are wimped to keep those really old trapdoor rifles from blowing up.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!