Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!! >

I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I don't know what to say.....I'm stuck. I simply CAN NOT seem to decide between 2 rifles and 3 calibers. Both rifles are GREAT and all 3 calibers are GREAT.
I would really value some opinions from you guys. You've been really helpfull so far to me as a new member to the forum.

The 2 rifles.....Left Handed Reminton CDL -or- Left Handed Browning Stainless Stalker.
I know these are total opposites (wood/blue steel vs. synthetic/stainless)
I like both of them SO MUCH.I would eventually want to weatherproof the CDL more (maybe a teflon finish on the metal and a McMillian syn. stock)

The 3 calibers....nothing out of the ordinary here...270, .30-06, or 7mm Rem. Mag.
All 3 capable (and then some) for my hunting needs.
All 3 shoot plenty flat for what I need and pack plenty of punch.

Please folks, don't pound me for not being able to make up my mind. Surely some of you have been in the same boat at some point. I have bought and sold and bought and sold so many rifles and calibersover the years I really want to buy one and hang on to it. Something my son can use when he gets a little older.

Just looking for some opinions that might help me make up my mind.

If you have shot both of these rifles, does either one of them seem to have more/lessperceived recoil? I know the Remington will have more options for "customizing", but the Browning is pretty much already there.

I'm seriously leaning toward the A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem. Mag. But I've never had the chance to shoot the CDL.

I really don't want to get down to flipping a coin. If it helps any, I'll primarily be hunting whitetails and hogs. The hogs here get bigger than average. A 400-500 pounder is not uncommon.

Anyway, I've finally grown up enough to want a rifle I'll hang onto for good, and I would really appreciate ANY pros or cons you could give me on the rifles or calibers I listed.

Schoolcraft
As you note, all three calibers are good ones, and all will do your job for you.

Therefore, I will more orless quote Captain Jim Crossman, a gun guru of the 1930's: "It is the right of every free-born American to choose a rifle chambered for a cartridge other than the .30/'06 Springfield. But it is no great tribute to his intelligence if he does so!" This is as true today as it was in 1930. But the reasons why have changed. The .30/'06 is one of the most popular rounds EVER, all over the world. You can buy ammo for it ANYWHERE that hunting is legal. More time, effort, and money has been spent developing it than on any other cartridge. The old '06therefore represents the pinnacle of rifle cartridge development, even today with all the newfangled stuff floating around.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 AM

I am also a fan of stainless - I just purchased a Savage Weather Warrior, 7mm-08, as a new gun for the 07-08 season. I hunt with a friend that has a browning 7mm and he loves it, it shoots incredible, so I would say out of the calibers you listed the Browning Stainless Stalker, 7mm.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

As yall that pay attention to my posts already know,my vote is for browning a-bolt. How about .280 for the cartridge?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

The .280 wouldbe my absolute first choice IF if was offered in the left handed models.
Also, someone earlier asked what rifles I already have....funny situation. Remember I said I bought and sold and bought and sold.....I am currently, for the first time in YEARS, withoutANY rifle right now and it's driving me crazy. I live close to my folks, and I run by there and shoot a few rounds through my Dad's Ruger M77 .270 every few day to keep my sanity.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I kinda agree with StalkingBear...Especially if you reload, the .280 is a very good and versatile caliber....If you don't reload, I would opt for a .270 or the '06, the critters would never know the difference and in the same style rifle I don't believe your shoulder would ever...

I honestly don't care for the 7mmMag...Too long of barrel, too much recoil for what it does...If I felt I needed a Mag, I'd go with the 300 Win...

My brother owned a .280 in Browning Stalker for about 20 years, never had a problem with deer or black bears, my other brother owns 2-.270s one in a Remington 700 and one in a Ruger M-77...They also do the job...When we skin their deer you can't tell any difference in wound chanels or in how far the deer run with lung shots, if they both use the same brand bullets....
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

That brings up an excellent question. Does anyone know who makes a left handed model in .280 without having it custom built?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Ive owned both 06 and 7mm calibers favorite out of the two would have to be the 7mm... its a good hard hitting gun with excellent trajectory as well as a good variety of rounds available for it.. I personally think that the 7 mag would be ur better choice in the remington, both are excellent guns but i prefer the action on the REM better. if it helps u decide the army use REM actions for the sniper rifles if that tells u anything.. But also the 06 is also a good choice, its been favored for a long time by many and has proved itself more than enough. My only problem is the lack of TRAj at long ranges. But then again this wont be my rifle.. The 7mm should be a xcellent rifle for u..
Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Since a lot of you folks have owned both rifles or both calibers, do you think someone would notice much difference in recoil between say a 165gr. .30-06 load factory load and a 7mm. Rem. Mag 150gr. factory load?

I say factory load because I know there's a lot of difference in a cool or hot handloaded round. Just keeping as much equal aspossible.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

In those 2 loads you mentioned,there is virtually no difference in recoil.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM

OK,

I can solve this if you will just do as I say. Buy the Browning in 270 wsm. I know its not any of the calibers you picked but just do it. the WSM is superior to the old 270 & 30-06, and equivalent at the very least to the 7mag. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.