HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   ButchA's new rifle!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/190588-butchas-new-rifle.html)

ButchA 05-05-2007 01:51 PM

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Well guys, here it is.... Let's close out the thread about "Help me pick a new deer rifle" - 'cause I found a deal of a lifetime...

Summary/review:

Ruger 77 --- Very nice. Excellent quality. But it just didn't feel right. It was nice, but it didn't spark my interest.

[/align]An old used Winchester model 70 in a .270 --- OMG... I died and went to heaven. This rifle was sweet. It just felt right. There was a magical spark there, you know? But, sadly, this rifle was beat to sh**. It was dinged and scratched all to hell, and it had raised up scope rings but no scope. (I mean, it had "see thru" scope rings, front bead and a rear sight - gotta be an old Winchester 70...)

Remington 700 in 30.06 --- Nice. Rugged. Big, bold, with a good heavy feel. You could just feel the power from it. Beautiful finish, but had no recoil pad. [&:]I decided to pass on it.

Browning A-bolt Medallion in .270 --- Beautiful. Just absolutely georgeous fit and finish. I fell in love with it. Came complete with a Nikon scope as a "package deal". But I saw the price tag and just couldn't do it. My wife would kick my a$$ from here to Timbucktu if I bought it... [:o]

So, I went back to the other gun store that had the old Winchester model 70. I looked around some more and then I found it.... Sitting 3rd from the end of the used rack... A nice bolt action rifle complete with a scope chambered in .308 (according to the sticker). I picked it up and died and went to heaven. The price tag read: $349.95. I couldn't believe it!

Savage Model 110 in .308 (no accu-trigger, wood stock, 22" barrel, and a cheap Simmons 3-9x32 scope)

According to the gunshop, this Savage 110 is a "safe queen". It is in perfect condition, no scratches, dents, dings, no anything. It has an internal magazine box and holds 4 rounds. The reason it is $349.95 is partly due to the cheesy 3-9x32 scope on it. The gunshop quickly recommended I hock the scope on eBay and get a bigger, better, 3-9x40 quality scope for it, or even a more higher powered 4-12x40 scope.

The gun shop took out the bolt, showed me the rifle with a bore light, explained everything about Savage bolt actions to me, and really helped me out.

Anyway, about this Savage model 110... I don't know... Once I picked it up, I got the same "vibe" that I get with my old Marlin 30-30! I had the same feeling come over me that I got with that old beat up Winchester model 70. So I grabbed the Winchester 70 and shouldered it, and went back to the Savage 110 and shouldered it. Went back to the Wincester 70, went back to the Savage 110, Winchester, Savage, Winchester, Savage.... Both felt excellent and had a certain magical feel to them.

Long story short... I was left with a coin toss.

-- Get a real nice used "safe queen" Savage .308 that already has a scope (although a cheap P.O.S.) and is in absolute perfect condition. ($349.95)

-- Get an older Winchester 70 in .270 that would need work and refinishing and a new stock, plus a new scope since it only had the see thru scope mounts. ($525)

Butch A.

Paul L Mohr 05-05-2007 03:23 PM

RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

I had a 110E in 30-06 when I was younger, nice gun. I think you did alright and you will realy like. My savage was pretty decent on reciol as well compared to other 30-06's I have shot.

Mine was almost exactly like that one, I even had a cheap 3-9 bushnell on it. Held up fine, I sold it to a friend that still has it.

Paul

retrieverman 05-05-2007 03:50 PM

I have never owned a Savage, but from all that I have heard from friends, they are supposed to be super accurate out of the box. Congrats on your purchase and sounds like you got a very fair deal.

O.K., Now what scope are you going to buy? How about a Leupold VX II 3-9 or 4-12?

Keep us posted on your scope choice and range visit.

ButchA 05-05-2007 05:22 PM

Thanks... I have no idea on a scope yet. I know I just don't want the cheap Simmons 3-9x32 on there.

Butch A.

metaldonnieg 05-05-2007 05:55 PM

I have a 110 in .270 but it has a synthetic stock. Sweet little gun. I still have yet to know exactly what it can do and probably won't know until I can buy a better scope. See my thread about the Simmons if you haven't already.

But, I do wonder about the price. That's what I paid for mine new. Maybe the wood stock makes the difference? Either way, you should find that it was money well spent. Good choice.

ButchA 05-05-2007 07:23 PM

Thanks... Yeah, I've read about Simmons scopes. Their AETEC models were supposed to be really good. But I think I heard somewhere that Bushnell bought out Simmons but I could be wrong.

I think the reason my rifle was $349 was because the wood checkered stock is still in pristine condition and the rifle itself is still excellent (aka "safe queen").

Butch A.

younggun308 05-06-2007 01:05 AM

Congrats, man!

The .308 is a great cal, I have a Remington 673 in .308, and I like to shoot Federal Powershoks, they only cost $12.00 a box at Wally World, and $20 at your regular gun store.

Rebel Hog 05-06-2007 02:00 AM

Congrat's Butch! Enjoy

Knightia 05-06-2007 03:06 AM

Congrats always nice to get a new one-Some say there ugly- but they look fine to me And it does shoot good( nice& light to).( ilike my savage ss /synthetic116 in 30.06 it was a great price to- had the cheap bussnell , was a package gun to- marked down at walmart)

makes me what to go gun shopping

Swampdog 05-06-2007 04:14 AM

Congrats Butch,Nice gun.If it is like most Savage rifles I have ever had you might want to put a de-cellerator padon it before you shoot it.Most of the 110's I have seen have something to do (I think ) with the rake and comb of the stock.Which usually makes them kick like a mule even shot a 110 in .243 that would jolt you.

bigpapa 05-06-2007 08:28 AM

Way to go Butch! I'm sure you made a great choice. Like I said in the other thread, find the gun that you just can't go to sleep without thinking about. The gun that makes YOU say ahhhhhh and it will be perfect. It's alwaysfun to get a new rifle. AND you got it from a local gun shop. Congrats on that. Get a good relationship with them and you can't loose. Now....Loose that crap scope, visit the optics forum for a day or so, and get one that will turn that "safe queen" into a tack driver. You'll be surprised at how inexpensive a quality scope can be. Again congratulations.

ButchA 05-06-2007 08:48 AM

Thanks, bigpapa.... ;)

I've been talking to a good friend of mine about it too, and he agreed about the scope. But told me to somehow get measured for eye relief, because of how the Savage 110 is setup now. It's PERFECT. I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, open my eyes, and I'm looking squarely down the scope without any dark "rings" or off center shadows at all around the scope's image in the eyepiece.

My friend also told me that (in his opinion) it is always best to take the price of the rifle, divide it in half. That figure should be the cost of a scope for it, or perhaps a starting point if you want something very well made and top quality. He said to never, never, NEVER put something like BSA or Tasco (Trash-co<---his words )on a rifle.

The Simmons 3-9x32 scope doesn't even have a name. It just says "21017 - Made in China" on the underside. I can't even find that model anymore! [&:]

Anyway, taking the advice from my friend on scopes, let's do some math:

Savage 110 .308 rifle: $349.95 / 2 (divide by two)
...............................==========
...............................$174.98.......(price of a very good quality scope)

Butch A.

Rebel Hog 05-06-2007 08:59 AM

[img]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1948_85186395" width=45 border=0>

Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm Rifle Scope w/ FREE UPS

Regular price: $274.99
Sale price: $219.99

ButchA 05-06-2007 09:11 AM

OMG.... A Leupold for a hair over $200 bucks?!?! You gotta be kidding me!!!:D

I thought Leupolds were like Swarovsky and were like $600 bucks and up!

Butch A.

Paul L Mohr 05-06-2007 09:20 AM

I have never gone by the twice what you paid for the gun, at least what you paid for the gun or half what you paid for the gun rules. And I have heard them all three ways with variations. That is a completely unscientific way to pic a scope and just ignorant in my opinion. Pick a scope that looks good to you and fits your budget, period. There are several excellent 3-9 scopes in the $200 range that will serve you quite well for years and years.

My Savage cost me $150 When I bought it. Does that mean I didn't need to spend more than 75 bucks for the scope? Yet my step fathers remington was 600 bucks. They were the same caliber and shot the same bullets, yet he needed a 300 dollar scope for that gun? I don't see the sense in that myself. My gun actually had a 30 some dollar bushnell on it and it worked fine, it's still on the gun as a matter of fact. At least last time I saw it. Would I suggest that scope for a 30-06 if you could afford better? NO, but I was young and it worked. Then again you don't NEED a $700 leupold either. No one I know hunts with a scope that expensive and they don't seem to have any trouble killing deer year after year.

My 17HMR only cost me $200 and it has a $400 varmint scope on it though. However I felt the gun warranted that good of scope for what I was going to do with it. It's hard to get a cheap high powered scope with decent optics.

My slug gun (H&R ultra) has a mid priced bushnell on it. If you think your savage 30-06 kicks come take my slug gun with winchester platinum tips for test drive;).

And some of the higher end BSA are not too bad for the money, but you are getting into the $200 range there and you could get better for the same money in my opinion. My Remington 700ML inline had a BSA Catseye on it for 4 years until I gave the scope to a friend. I had no problems with it and optically it looked just as good as my buddies Aetec.

If I had the money every gun I own would have a Conquest on it, but I don't have that sort of cash.

Sorry for the rant, it just gets me going when hear that kind of stuff. It just makes no logical sense to me.

Paul

paulyseggs 05-06-2007 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have never gone by the twice what you paid for the gun, at least what you paid for the gun or half what you paid for the gun rules. And I have heard them all three ways with variations. That is a completely unscientific way to pic a scope and just ignorant in my opinion.

My slug gun (H&R ultra) has a mid priced bushnell on it. If you think your savage 30-06 kicks come take my slug gun with winchester platinum tips for test drive;).

Paul
I agree 100% us Pauls are smart fellas!!

Paul I use those in my 870, I cheat when I sight in though. I got a sissy bag.

paulyseggs 05-06-2007 09:38 AM

ButchA the sales that are going on now are hard to beat. Either a leupold like shown above or the Burris Fullview II. BUT I wouldn't go over 3x9. it's unneeded. I don't think I ever go higher than 4 unless I'm plinkin. Which even then you can say, "Well it's easier to sight in when I have it on 14x" but it's added weight, your not humpin your can all over the woods when your sittin on the bench. If you like the way the scope fits you now, I would get the exact same size just better quality.

bigpapa 05-06-2007 10:03 AM

This thread is about to go south really fast. :DNicon has better clarity than Leupold imo. Buckmaster or Prostaff. Buckmaster $200 Prostaff $150. Take your time on this one dude. Look through all the glass you can (outside of the store). Take your old scope with you to compare too. Don't get into the bells and whistles of 50mm's or AO's just get a good 3x9x40 (I learned that the hard way). There'sa reason everyone uses them.Honestly, sit down and figure what your budget will allow. Give about $20 wiggle room and then look and find the scope that makes you happy. As for eye relief... any scope will probably do as well or as better than what you have.

North Texan 05-06-2007 10:34 AM

Put a nice Leupold orNikon on it and pretty soon your 30-30 will be spending more time in the safe.:D

Not too long ago, Midway had Nikon Monarch scopes on for $229 for the 3-9x40's. If I had a rifle that needed a good scope, that is what I would put on it.

ButchA 05-06-2007 10:40 AM

Thanks.... I have some time to really read up on scopes in all the various flavors. I plan on hanging onto this new/used Savage 110, just like how I am with the old Marlin .30-30 -- you'll never pry it from my hands! :D

So far, here's what I am thinking:

Marlin .30-30: Keep it classic, traditional, w/open sights. Keep using in real heavy woods and brush/thickets in the Nat'l Forest. Keep it simple, lightweight, and able to crack off a shot < 50 yards when someone bumps a deer to you.

Savage 110 .308: Buy a better scope, first and foremost. Use it when not goinginto the heavy woods and brush. Use it from a Summit treestand overlooking the field. Basically use it anywhere beyond the comfort range of the open sighted .30-30.

Butch A.

whitetaildreamer 05-06-2007 04:03 PM

Great buy!!!! I have two identical Savages chambered in .270 and 7 mm mag. I look at the picture you posted andalmost had to check my gun safe to see if one was missing. Iswapped out the 3x9x32 scopes the guns came with, for 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters. I used Kwik-Site scope mounts to allow for the 40mm objective. Even though the 110 is reletively inexpensive they have always been accurate and reliable (and I use them at -30 temps.).I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new purchase. Reach out and touch them at 300 plus yards.

retrieverman 05-06-2007 04:44 PM

Sounds like a great plan!

Paul L Mohr 05-06-2007 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bigpapa

This thread is about to go south really fast. :DNicon has better clarity than Leupold imo. Buckmaster or Prostaff. Buckmaster $200 Prostaff $150. Take your time on this one dude. Look through all the glass you can (outside of the store). Take your old scope with you to compare too. Don't get into the bells and whistles of 50mm's or AO's just get a good 3x9x40 (I learned that the hard way). There'sa reason everyone uses them.Honestly, sit down and figure what your budget will allow. Give about $20 wiggle room and then look and find the scope that makes you happy. As for eye relief... any scope will probably do as well or as better than what you have.
I will second that post word for word!

And from what I have seen and been reading lately the only great thing about the VX I's is the waranty. Better optics can be had for less money from what I have seen. Not that they suck by any means though.

Nikon and Bushnell elites seem to be pretty decent for the money right now. From what I have seen the Cabela's Alaskan Guide scopes are pretty decent as well. That is what I have on my 17HMR and I am very happy with it.

Paul

ButchA 05-07-2007 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Great buy!!!! I have two identical Savages chambered in .270 and 7 mm mag. I look at the picture you posted andalmost had to check my gun safe to see if one was missing.
LOL!!! :D Nope... Mine was sitting there in a used gun rack at a store, waiting for me to discover it.

Iswapped out the 3x9x32 scopes the guns came with, for 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters. I used Kwik-Site scope mounts to allow for the 40mm objective. Even though the 110 is reletively inexpensive they have always been accurate and reliable (and I use them at -30 temps.).I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new purchase. Reach out and touch them at 300 plus yards.
Thanks... Yeah, from what I have read so far, the best bang for buck appears to be the Nikon scopes. I have never checked a Nikon before, but have only seen Bushnell, Simmons, andTasco (trash-co ;)) and an unbelievably cheap BSA scope at Wally World. :eek:

Butch A.

VAhuntr 05-07-2007 08:46 PM

Congrats on the new rifle! I am sure you will enjoy it. As for scopes I prefer Leupold and Nikon. SWFA sells the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for $218.95. I really like the Monarch line and am really impressed with mine. The Monarch is a lot of scope for the money. Conrats again and good luck in your quest for a new scope!!

ButchA 05-08-2007 08:38 AM

Thanks... I found out some pretty cool info on my new/used Savage. I called their 1-800 number and asked them to research my serial # and see if they can tell me whatever they can.

Savage model 110, chambered in .308 --- Serial: F7##### (translates to Sept 1997). Rifle was the last of the "J" series that they made for years and years and years. It's long action, but yet a short caliber. Deep inside underneath the bolt, behind the internal magazine box, is ametal block. Curiously, I removed the bolt and peered around inside with a mag-light. Sure enough, there is a blocking device down deep inside the stock. .....Interesting.

From what I understand, the Savage 110 was made for 40-something years. In 1998, they tried revising it (didn't go too well), as their "2nd Generation models" sucked and almost brought the company to bankruptcy. In 2003, they rebounded with the current "3rd Generation models", the Savage 10GXP, 11F, 11G, 14 Classic (short action Accu-trigger models), and the 110GCNS, 111F, 114 Classic, etc.. (long action Accu-trigger models), which are currently ongun racks instores today.

Regarding my serial# and the cheap Simmons scope, Savage said that the 3-9x32's came with them as a package and sold to Wal-Mart.
I have a Wally World Savage 110?!? [:-]

Butch A.

t roy 05-08-2007 01:31 PM

you got a great deal is what you got. Wonder what they sold for new?

cascadedad 05-08-2007 03:12 PM

Nikon Prostaff will serve you well. IF you want to spend more you can step up, but in my opinion it is not necessary.

doubleA 05-08-2007 03:28 PM

you got a great deal is what you got. Wonder what they sold for new?
Savage's have always been good values. I would venture to say they were probably $300 give or take a few dollars 10 years ago.

ButchA 05-08-2007 03:58 PM

Here's a site that has brand new "package" guns by Savage.

Today's version of the Savage 110 (now in long action, .30-06, .270, etc...)
http://www.impactguns.com/store/savage_package_110_series.html

Today's version of the Savage 110 (now in short action, .243, .308, 7mm-08, etc...)
http://www.impactguns.com/store/savage_package_10_series.html

.....And, here's is my actual rifle in today's day and age:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-78596.html

Butch A.

VAhuntr 05-09-2007 07:52 AM

ButchA,

There is a lot of Savage specific information on:

www.savageshooters.com

Good articles, good lists of aftermarketgoodiesand a pretty decent forum as well.

ButchA 05-09-2007 08:26 AM

Thanks... Yeah, I heard about that site and visited it. Pretty good stuff....[8D]

Butch A.

bigpapa 05-09-2007 12:08 PM

Butch,
I just slapped a Silver 3x9x40 Prostaff on my Ruger and I love it. It's clear, and has a great look. If at the end of next season I'm not happy with it I'll upgrade but for now it seems to be all I need. I couldn't justify paying much more for a deer rifle scope. I'm not competing with it. I just need it to get me a 3" goup out to 200 yards. All this sub 1" group stuff bores me. The kill zone in a deer is (if I remember right) 6" so that's what I'm looking for. Something to get me consistantly in that kill zone. I wouldn't feel comfortable past200 yardsanyways. BUT if you sight in your gun right you should be able to have a shotup to atleast 270 yards without any adjustments.
Now. Who cares what store your gun came from. I'm just happy for you for having a gun you like and that suits your taste. Don't fight that lovin' feelin'ooooh that lovin' feelin'. ;)

ButchA 05-09-2007 12:54 PM

LOL!!! Yup... I've picked up all the varieties of deer rifles and shouldered them. The Savage 110 and the old beatup Winchester 70 were the ones that just "spoke" to me. All the others were nice, but they didn't do anything for me.

I remember the feeling I got when I borrowed that co-workers old Marlin 30-30 thatI tried out at the range. I mean I just fell in love with it and bought it that very next day at work. I could shoulder it with my eyes closed, open my eyes, and I am looking down the sights each and ever time. This new/used Savage 110 in .308 has the same feeling. It's a perfect match. :D

So, I plan on leaving the .30-30 as a plain jane with open iron sights, for use in the deep heavy woods and brush. Shots at max 50-75 yards. The Savage .308 with the scope will reach out to 200 yards if need be.

One for one style of hunting, one for another style. The best of both worlds.... [8D]

Butch A.

younggun308 05-10-2007 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ButchA

One for one style of hunting, one for another style. The best of both worlds.... [8D]

Butch A.

You sound like my grandpa........;)

ButchA 05-10-2007 01:10 PM

LOL... Theguys at the deer camp all bring various rifles during deer season. One guy even has like 5-6 different rifles in assorted calibers.

I always believe in keeping it simple with rifles. No need for a wicked .338 Magnum with a 6-24x50 (hubble telescope? ;))powered scope on it when you'rehunting whitetail deer in the woods. You know what I mean?

Plain Jane Marlin 30-30 === Overall hiking around, thick woods/brush, "man drives" fordeer. 10-75 yds.
New/used Savage .308 === Longer range,overlooking field hunting, treestand hunting, 75-200 yds.

Butch A.

younggun308 05-10-2007 02:21 PM

I think you got pretty well set up as far as firearms go, now all you need is a Mini-14 or Mini 30.

KonaBoy 05-10-2007 03:13 PM

Very nice gun, I was looking at a similar combo then endedup with a Sako ;)I have two rifles like you, a 6.5x55 Swede for close deer, and a .30-06 for the bigger stuff and longer range deer.

younggun308 05-11-2007 03:42 AM

Hey, Kony, I don't recall seein' you on these forums for awhile, probably my imagination.

ButchA 05-11-2007 06:30 AM

Here ya go guys....

CLOSE RANGE: CLASSIC, TRADITIONAL, OPEN SIGHTED MARLIN 30AS .30-30 RIFLE

LONGER RANGE: NEW/USED SAVAGE 110, .308 RIFLE W/ CHEAP 3-9X32 SCOPE

Like I said a few threads up.... The best of both worlds. The 3-9x32 scope will get saved for something else perhaps, and a new Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 or Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope will soon appear on the rifle. [8D]

Butch A.