Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ButchA's new rifle!!!!! >

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

ButchA,

There is a lot of Savage specific information on:

www.savageshooters.com

Good articles, good lists of aftermarketgoodiesand a pretty decent forum as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... Yeah, I heard about that site and visited it. Pretty good stuff....[8D]

Butch A.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Butch,
I just slapped a Silver 3x9x40 Prostaff on my Ruger and I love it. It's clear, and has a great look. If at the end of next season I'm not happy with it I'll upgrade but for now it seems to be all I need. I couldn't justify paying much more for a deer rifle scope. I'm not competing with it. I just need it to get me a 3" goup out to 200 yards. All this sub 1" group stuff bores me. The kill zone in a deer is (if I remember right) 6" so that's what I'm looking for. Something to get me consistantly in that kill zone. I wouldn't feel comfortable past200 yardsanyways. BUT if you sight in your gun right you should be able to have a shotup to atleast 270 yards without any adjustments.
Now. Who cares what store your gun came from. I'm just happy for you for having a gun you like and that suits your taste. Don't fight that lovin' feelin'ooooh that lovin' feelin'.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL!!! Yup... I've picked up all the varieties of deer rifles and shouldered them. The Savage 110 and the old beatup Winchester 70 were the ones that just "spoke" to me. All the others were nice, but they didn't do anything for me.

I remember the feeling I got when I borrowed that co-workers old Marlin 30-30 thatI tried out at the range. I mean I just fell in love with it and bought it that very next day at work. I could shoulder it with my eyes closed, open my eyes, and I am looking down the sights each and ever time. This new/used Savage 110 in .308 has the same feeling. It's a perfect match.

So, I plan on leaving the .30-30 as a plain jane with open iron sights, for use in the deep heavy woods and brush. Shots at max 50-75 yards. The Savage .308 with the scope will reach out to 200 yards if need be.

One for one style of hunting, one for another style. The best of both worlds.... [8D]

Butch A.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

One for one style of hunting, one for another style. The best of both worlds.... [8D]

Butch A.
You sound like my grandpa........
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL... Theguys at the deer camp all bring various rifles during deer season. One guy even has like 5-6 different rifles in assorted calibers.

I always believe in keeping it simple with rifles. No need for a wicked .338 Magnum with a 6-24x50 (hubble telescope? )powered scope on it when you'rehunting whitetail deer in the woods. You know what I mean?

Plain Jane Marlin 30-30 === Overall hiking around, thick woods/brush, "man drives" fordeer. 10-75 yds.
New/used Savage .308 === Longer range,overlooking field hunting, treestand hunting, 75-200 yds.

Butch A.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you got pretty well set up as far as firearms go, now all you need is a Mini-14 or Mini 30.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice gun, I was looking at a similar combo then endedup with a Sako I have two rifles like you, a 6.5x55 Swede for close deer, and a .30-06 for the bigger stuff and longer range deer.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Kony, I don't recall seein' you on these forums for awhile, probably my imagination.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go guys....

CLOSE RANGE: CLASSIC, TRADITIONAL, OPEN SIGHTED MARLIN 30AS .30-30 RIFLE

LONGER RANGE: NEW/USED SAVAGE 110, .308 RIFLE W/ CHEAP 3-9X32 SCOPE

Like I said a few threads up.... The best of both worlds. The 3-9x32 scope will get saved for something else perhaps, and a new Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 or Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope will soon appear on the rifle. [8D]

Butch A.

Quick Reply: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.