Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 for all you people asking about the simmons scopes >

for all you people asking about the simmons scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

for all you people asking about the simmons scopes

Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Default RE: for all you people asking about the simmons scopes

I dumped mine for a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 BDC.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM

$ for $ the Nikon prostaff is the best bargain on scopes.

If you aren't willing to spend $150 on a scope then shoot iron sights. Simmons,BSA, &Tasco are complete waste of money.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Site Bouncer

I also like the Nikon scopes. I have been leaning toward them for the last few years. I have found that for the money they are very tough to beat. The leupolds of late (Mark 4 and VX-III lines) don't impress me like the older vari-x linedid. I find myself walking over to the Nikon display more and more.

I think it's hit or miss when it comes to Simmons scopes. I would only trust the AETEC line and even then I would watch how it's treated. If you just need a scope to plink around with you can try your luck with them. I have an older Simmons/Deerfield 3x9 on a .30-06 rifle that has yet to let me down so go figure.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

sjsfire, If you notice I put "upgraded" in quotes to note that it was not an upgrade. I have never bought anything but Leopold prior to purchasing the Tasco and have since puchased a Monarch. From what I see of the Monarch so far, I see more Nikons in my future.

And I understood that "upgraded" Thats why I added the "just kidding" The Tasco I have on my 22 was given to me by a old friend. I'll agree with you....The Nikons are nice scopes for the money, never owned a Leopold though, never had the opportunity to even look through one.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I took my Savage .270 that came with one of the 8 point scopes to the range today just for some fun and to continue my quest to have a dead-on scope. It was relatively close to being on the last time I had it out about two months ago. The first shot today didn't even hit the paper (a printed at home target on 8.5x11 paper)at 50 yards. So I bore sighted it using the Chuck Hawks method (I call it that cuz that's where I learned it) where you remove the bolt, look at something and center it in the bore by looking down the inside of the barrell, then adjust the cross hairs. I took another shot and it barely knicked the corner of paper. No big deal, I dialed in my adjustments that should've put it close to the bulls eye and took another shot, which landed about 1/4" right of the previous shot. I was puzzled but I made the necessary adjustments again and fired and this one landed about 1/2" high of the hole made 2 shots ago. Avery acceptablegroup in my opinion for what's going on lolbut it was in a totally worthless place and seemed like it wasn't going anywhere.

So the moral of the story is: Apparently those Simmons scopes won't hold 0 and won't adjust. at all.
Is that scope one of the "new-type" Simmons scopes with the redesigned adjustment system which is supposed to be so much better that everyone else's?

I know it hurts to part with the cash to get a Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles, etc. But generally it is money well spent. In addition, there is NOTHING wrong with the OLD Redfields, the steel-tubed, US-made Weavers, and Lyman All-Americans & Alaskans you can get off e-bay! ALL of these oldies are better than NEW JUNK!!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM

I picked this rifle packageup brand newlast November so it's your call on whether it's a "new model" or not. I honestly do not know.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree wholeheartedly with Elde on the old Redfields. The lone Redfield I have is from the early 60's and it is one fine scope. All of my new scopes are Nikons though.....very good scopes for the dollars. I bought one Simmons scope in my life...one of the 44 Mags and it was not even half the scope of the early 90's Tasco world class cheapies were. I found somebody nearly as dumb as I was for buyin it and sold it to them...lol.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I recall back in the 60's when I walked to the gun shop and back, up hill both ways, and bought my old Redfield tracker which I am still using today and has stood up to everything its been on including my 416 Rem Mag. Nobody builds them like that anymore IMO.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're absolutely right, James.....Not a thing wrong with those old Redfields.... I still have a couple that I use.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I bought one of the new-style (the Master Series) Simmons Aetecs last year to see what the fuss was all about (several awards, multiple magazine articles, etc.) and put it on a 25-06.

It's a good scope.I was pretty impressed, as were my hunting buddies. And for less than $200, it's comparable in quality to some costing twice that. One of my friends bought one for his new 7mag and swears he won'tgo back toLeupolds.

I'm no expert, but the new design (Master Series) is significantly better than the 'old style'. In addition to the Master SeriesAetec, Ialso have a 'regular' Aetec on a .22 and the new ones are noticeably better.

I wouldn't consider the Master Series to be 'junk' by any means.

Quick Reply: for all you people asking about the simmons scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.