Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me pick a new deer rifle >

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me pick a new deer rifle

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Thanks... I have shot my Remington 870 12GA with a slug andwas fine. I have also shot my brother-in-law's monsterous .50 cal BMG! (which surprised me, because of the lack of perceived recoil. The massive .50 BMG kicked like a 12GA with buckshot, but the percussion and blast of it goes right intoyour brain! [&:])

Anyway, thinking back to my top 4 choices... What are the opinions on these bolt actions?

Ruger M77 MKII
Browning A-Bolt
Remington 700
Savage 11, 111,
Tikka?? (never really handled a Tikka nor seen one though)

Butch A.
I favor the Ruger, due to the controlled-round feeding feature. But all those are fine rifles. The new Savages especially have a fine reputation for accuracy.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Butch, I currently hunt w/a Brow A-Bolt SS in 270 WSM & while I think it's a great rifle I can't ignore all of the praise that the Tikka T3's have recently gotten. I'm actually in the markey for a new rifle (more than likely a 308) & I will probably be leaning towards a Tikka T3. Can anyone advise any different info regarding the Tikka's? From what they say, the factory will guarantee 1/2-1" MOA. Now that's tough to beat!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest 7mm-08. YOu can't go wrong with this caliber. I used to hunt with a 30.06 and still do on occasion but for deer hunting the light recoil, light rifle (Savage) you can't go wrong. Its very accurate as well. I get my ammon at wal-mart. if they don't stock it they can order it for you. $15 for a box of 20
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Anyway, thinking back to my top 4 choices... What are the opinions on these bolt actions?

Ruger M77 MKII
Browning A-Bolt
Remington 700
Savage 11, 111,
Tikka?? (never really handled a Tikka nor seen one though)

Butch A.
No one ever got laughed at for any of those choices - you can feel confident with any of them. Know, however, that you won't receive unanimous supportfor any of them, either! Choose what works for you, & ignore the catcalls from the peanut gallery.

Go to the gun counter, handle all of them, see what fits you best. If you need to, shoulder them with your eyes closed. Then letthe rifle choose YOU.

I've been known to bringa girlfriend with me, & ask her, "Does this gun make me look fat?". I guess it doesn't matter, as all of the guns have outlasted all of the girlfriends!

FC
Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged
Go to the gun counter, handle all of them, see what fits you best. If you need to, shoulder them with your eyes closed. Then letthe rifle choose YOU.
Thanks... That's what I plan on doing. I did that with my old Marlin 30-30 that I bought off a co-worker. For some reason, that old lever gun just feels right to me. I can stand there with my eyes closed, pick up the 30-30, shoulder it, open my eyes, and I'm looking right down the sights - every single time.The 30-30 ain't the most powerful thing out there, ain't the most accurate thing out there, but it just has a legendary feel to it, and it has worked for over 100 years!

Hopefully I can find a nice bolt action that will have that same feel to it, to where I'll know it once I pick it up.

Butch A.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM

ButchA, I think I just bought what you are looking for yesterday. I went with a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in .243 Win.In my opinion,Browning A-Bolt is the best bang for the buck. I chose the .243 Win. over the 243.WSSM for two reasons. (1) I could notfind a dealer that could get me a .243 WSSM until Febuary 2008. (2) Whether you reload or buy factory ammo, there are a lot more chooses in the .243 Win. Also, there is not much recoil with a .243, and like you, I will choose a light recoil over a hard recoil any day. As for the scope, if you like Leupold, the bargin cave at Cabelas will be hard to beat. I picked up a VX-III 3.5 - 10 x 40mm with the BC retical for $430.00. Thats my opinion on a deer rifle.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 PM

You will be happy with the .308 or .30-06. I have shot the Remington and the Savage and liked them both. I have heard good things about the Browning A-bolt. I had a BLR that was a very high quality weapon.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Three things moved me from Tikka and Browning to Ruger. 1) Price the Ruger was $75 less than the browning and almost $100 less than the tikka. 2)Not only is the Ruger a Mauser style action which is very dependable. Adjustments, upgrades, parts are very readily available. 3)Ruger is one of the few rifles which are 100% American made. BUT we will all defend our rifles until we die because our rifles (if chosen carefully) are a representation of ourselves. There isn't a person on here who owns a Browining that will say "Naw get a Ruger" nor is there a Ruger owner that says "Yea man get a Weatherby". Unless they own multiple brands.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Spike

If you like old school rifles, get the Ruger M77 MkII. This action is based on the Mauser, not many bolt action designscan say that they have been around for over 100 years. A nice satin walnut stock and glossy blued action and barrel, what more can be said but beautiful. I will admit that Rugers are not for everyone, but I sure do love mine.

Mark
Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .308 will do anything that a .270-7mm08 or 3006 will for you. Especially at the ranges you quote and the game you want to hunt with it. I have a few dead moose to vouch for the .308 win.
Now as for rifles, what you have listed are all perfectly good rifles so get the one that fits best and balances best in your hands. A good fit will make you shoot better and build your confidence. Keep in mind also that the .308 being a short action round will in short actioned rifles weigh less than a standard round like a .270 fore example. If you want sweet, look at a Ruger M77 RSI .308 win which is the mannlicher style bolt rifle and top it off with a Leupold VXIII 1.5x5. Also a Browning BLR in .308 is a great deer rifle.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a new deer rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.