Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Commercial .30 Carbine??? >

Commercial .30 Carbine???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Commercial .30 Carbine???

Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Commercial .30 Carbine???

I have been schemeing up a new close range predator calling rifle. I was wanting something diffrent and for some reason the .30 carbine came to mind. Does anyone know who makes a bolt action .30 Carbine? I know Ruger makes (or made) the Mini 30. Also I am curious I know the old surplus M1's shot a .307 bullet, but, the speer manual calls for a .308 bullets. It doesn't list alot of loads for it. I am thinking a 125 Vmax bullet might do the job. Any ideas Thanks!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Default RE: Commercial .30 Carbine???

I just did a few quick searches and couldn't really find any rifle that used that cartridge other than the M1 carbine but then again I don't have the same knowledge that the majority of the guys here do.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Ruger Mini-30 was not chambered for .30 Carbine. It was chambered for 7.62X39 (the AK-47 round).

I think Ruger did chamber a single action revolver for .30 Carbine. Don't know if they still do.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The Ruger Mini-30 was not chambered for .30 Carbine. It was chambered for 7.62X39 (the AK-47 round).

I think Ruger did chamber a single action revolver for .30 Carbine. Don't know if they still do.
New Model Blackhawk®
Ruger New Model Blackhawk revolvers are ideal field guns. Their single action function makes them ideal for slow, deliberate shooting, and their solid frame easily handles powerful cartridges including the .30 Carbine, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .45 Colt.
BEST FOR: Handgun hunting, as a backup revolver for conventional rifle hunting, long-range target shooting activities, or for a day at the range.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

as far as ammo goes, check out the corbon dpx for the 30carbine, probably the best stuff going bullet wise.

Mini 30 wouldn't be a bad choice either. As far as bolt actions the 7.62x39 can be found in the CZ 527, Remington 799 and possibly Ruger 77 or any of the mini mauser (Remington makes them now). I have a Charles Daly mini mauser and it's a nice rifle, accurate and light, I even use it for deer.

If your looking for a new rifle a few companies are remaking the M1 Carbine in 30 carbine. I believe it;s Auto Ordance and possibly High Standard (new).

hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Remington JSP bullets are also good in .30 Carbine. And Auto Ordnance is currently making new M1 Carbines. I have one and it has been very good so far. It's accuracy is very good which surprised me due to all the stories I've heard about how innacurate these carbines are.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carried the M1 carbine on duty for a couple years, and in fact there are things I like about it. One thing that you need to be aware of is that it will fire even though the bolt is not fully locked forward. That was a problem with the commercially made carbine I had. I got rid of it.

So keep her lubed up!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake
So keep her lubed up!
[:-]
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

I have been schemeing up a new close range predator calling rifle. I was wanting something diffrent and for some reason the .30 carbine came to mind. Does anyone know who makes a bolt action .30 Carbine? I know Ruger makes (or made) the Mini 30. Also I am curious I know the old surplus M1's shot a .307 bullet, but, the speer manual calls for a .308 bullets. It doesn't list alot of loads for it. I am thinking a 125 Vmax bullet might do the job. Any ideas Thanks!
No-one has ever made a bolt action .30 Carbine, and for good reason! The round is essentially worthless! The Mini-30 shoots the 7.62X39mm Russian round, and it is entirely different than the .30 Carbine.U.S. rifles, from the1892 .30/40 Krag until the adoption of the M16, all shot .308" bullets, and that includes the .30 U.S. Carbine round.