Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Final decision would like your input. >

Final decision would like your input.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Final decision would like your input.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Final decision would like your input.

Ok guys. I'm down to the dirty here. I've narrowed mychoices to two guns. Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic $438 and the Browning A-Bolt II $569 I'll be if I can't find any difference between the two besides the Vanguard hasa raised cheek rest and the Browning has a palm swell. Both seem to be rugged and dependable. Both have adjustable triggers. Am I missing anything between the two besides the names? What do you guys think? Any final input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Final decision would like your input.

If the difference in money is no big deal, My choice would be the Browning. The Vanguard is a fine rifle for the money but To me the A bolt is even better. What caliber are you choosing?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

I finally decided to go with .270 it has all of the features I'm looking for in a caliber. Flat trajectory. Can be loaded up or down to suit game. Moderate recoil so I can pass it on to my son. Everyone sells ammo for it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM

Sounds like a very good caliber choice for you. I do not own either, but have heard good things about both.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Both are good rifles but the A-Bolt is better in my opinion. If you like them both the same, then get the Weatherby and dump the savings into better optics.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry I can't help you out at all. I never let logic and reason effect my rifle buying. I usually just fall in love with a rifle and then I dream about it awhile and then I do what is nessasary to get it.

If you love both of these rifles one option might be to eventually get both.

One in a great open country big game round like the .270 win. and the other in a great varmint round like a .22/250.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the A-Bolt over the Vanguards. Buy which-ever fits you the best.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

WEATHERBY VANGUARD STAINLESS

Supplied by: Nioa Trading
Weight: 9.5 pounds
Stock: Injection moulded black synthetic all weather
Barrel: Stainless 24 inch, 1 in 12 twist
Trigger pull: 6.75 pounds
Scope: Bushnell 3-9 x 50 Dawn and Dusk
Safety: Locks trigger and bolt
Magazine: 5 rounds
Buttplate: Rubber
Country of origin: USA
Price: $1100
Score: 17
This is the stainless version of the very popular Vanguard model. The actions are made for Weatherby by Howa in Japan, and have some of the features of the Mark V. Reviewers were impressed by the smoothness of the fluted bolt, and no problems were experienced when feeding rounds, even from a full magazine. The trigger on the test rifle had a small amount of creep, but this could be adjusted out by an accredited gunsmith when lightening of the trigger is performed. Accuracy was more than adequate for field use in this country, with this particular rifle showing a definite preference for the PMC 55-grain loading. Reviewers noted that the scope fitted to this rifle would be excellent for spotlighting, but weighed in at 19 ounces, hence the 9.5 pounds overall weight. It was felt that it was a good pairing for feral pest destruction. Cleaning was easy and one reviewer commented on the smoothness of the barrel.

BROWNING A-BOLT II

Supplied by: Olin (Winchester) Australia
Weight: 7.1 pounds
Stock: American walnut
Barrel: Chrome-moly 22 inch, 1 in 12 twist
Trigger pull: 5.75 pounds
Scope: Hakko 3-9 x 40
Safety: Top-tang type locks bolt and trigger
Magazine: Detachable box, hinged floorplate - 5 rounds
Buttplate: Rubber
Country of origin: Japan
Price: $1390
Score: 17.25
The Browning is a classy looking outfit, and all reviewers were surprised at the very affordable price for a rifle of this quality. Easily the lightest rifle in the review, the Browning impressed everybody with its ease of handling and general feel. The 60 degree bolt throw and angled handle were a delight to use. The gold trigger is wider than normal and very comfortable to use. The trigger was crisp, with no discernable creep. The bolt was smooth in its operation, but after removal took some time to replace in the action, as the three locking lugs have to be aligned exactly with the receiver to allow entry. Rounds may be loaded into the magazine through the ejection port with difficulty, but it is better to remove the box magazine to load up. A bit time-consuming, but it is the only way to ensure that rounds are correctly positioned in the magazine. The A-Bolt demonstrated very good accuracy with most ammo tested, no doubt helped by the free floated barrel. The stock has a gloss finish, which looks very good against the blue/black metal work. With its lighter weight, the Browning would be an excellent rifle for those who want to climb mountains chasing feral goats.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

To Rebel Hog: That was a great comparison-good job.

If I was choosing one, I would go with the Vanguard. A little more weight will have less recoil, and a normal shooter will shoot a heavier rifle better. The synthetic and SS will be more durable. So unless you just like wood(some do, including me), go with the Vanguard. I wolud go with a 30-06 instead of a 270-but that is just preference. I can not feel much recoil difference between a 270 and a 30-06-especially if you go with the heavier rifle. I do believe the 30-06 is the better choice, but that is a different debate.

IMO both rifles need a trigger job, so I would not allow that factor to change my decision.

It is ashame you do not have a US made rifle in your choices. Tom.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

As yall know from my previous posts,I'm a a-bolt fan. There are several reasons for this. A-bolt has 3 locking lugs,60 degree bolt throw,X spring in mag instead of W spring,concealed detachable mag,tang safety that naturally lays under thumb,comes factory glass bedded,much slicker out of box bolt travel,excellent accuracy,I could keep going but I think you get the idea by now.

Quick Reply: Final decision would like your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.