Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Walther P38 barrel >

Walther P38 barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Walther P38 barrel

Old 04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Walther P38 barrel

I have a Walther P38 (the later version with the brown grips - the exact nomenclature I forget off the top of my head) that has matching serial numbers and is in pretty decent shape except for the fact that a US GI scratched his name and serial number on the slide probably from when he picked it up as a souvenier.

I like this gun a lot and it has some sentimental value as my great grandfather used to keep it in his vehicle as an off duty weapon when he was chief of police in a small town in Maine. I've had it for 20 years or so and enjoy shooting it now and then.

What I'd like to do is use it as a carry piece once in a while, but I'd like to have a shorter barrel to put on it when I do. SInce I obviously don't want to cut down the original barrel, I'd like to buy a spare barrel and have it cut down or, preferably, I'd like to find someplace that makes a shorter barrel for this gun, but I've been looking around and I can't find one. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Walther P38 barrel

Sarcosells them...

http://www.sarcoinc.com/walther.html

I've seen them in online auctions, too, like auctionarms.com and gunsamerica.com.

The P-38 and postwar P-1 are certainlyinteresting historical designs as well as a lot of fun to shoot. Manydon't feed JHP's very well, though. [&o]
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Strange Biller

I have a Walther P38 (the later version with the brown grips - the exact nomenclature I forget off the top of my head) that has matching serial numbers and is in pretty decent shape except for the fact that a US GI scratched his name and serial number on the slide probably from when he picked it up as a souvenier.

I like this gun a lot and it has some sentimental value as my great grandfather used to keep it in his vehicle as an off duty weapon when he was chief of police in a small town in Maine. I've had it for 20 years or so and enjoy shooting it now and then.

What I'd like to do is use it as a carry piece once in a while, but I'd like to have a shorter barrel to put on it when I do. SInce I obviously don't want to cut down the original barrel, I'd like to buy a spare barrel and have it cut down or, preferably, I'd like to find someplace that makes a shorter barrel for this gun, but I've been looking around and I can't find one. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Strange,

The Brown gripswere used on the war time pistols from 1942 to the begining of 1944.The black came out later (end of 1944-45) although you can sometimes find them on the earlier models. I have a Walther made in late 1941 with the brown grips and a 1945 with black.

If it's a true Walther (made by Walther and not other contractors during the war)) then on the left side of the frame you will see either a Walther banner and a "480" mark (this was an early Waltherstamp) or more common an "AC"with a number below it (the year of the pistol)

Mauser P-38's aremarked with a "byf" on the leftside.Spreewerke also made them and they are marked with a "cyq".FN made some and they are marked with a "fnh" andI believe they were made by Erstre Nordboehmische Metallwarenfabrik as well, these are marked with a "jvd".

Getting another barrel for it is fine as is shooting it but if it were mine I would not use it that much as it is a bit of history you have there as are all war time P-38's. More so depending on how they are marked (3rd Reich, "SS" etc...)

I don't know of any onethat has carried the shorter barrels for the P-38. I have seen them comeup on auction sites now and then so I know they are (or once were) made.

Good luck with your search and if you do switch out the barrels please don't lose the original!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I should have been more clear that I am looking for a factory made shortened barrel - I have seen many spare barrels in the $125 -$150 price range, but then I'll have to add the cost of having that barrel cut down.

BigJ - mine is the AC variety. It doesn't have any of the makings like the swastika or SS or Third Reich or anything stamped onthe sidethat would make it highly collectible. It has the walther banner and "Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur)" wth "Walther's Patent Cal. 9m/m" under it. I actually always foundd it curious that it had English writing on it.

The serial number is 249XX followed by the German Eagle symbol (which, honestly, I just noticed), if that helps further identify where and when it was made.

I know I could put it aside and never fire it, but honestly, I'd never sell it because it has sentimental value and I enjoy running a few rounds through it now and then.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Strange Biller

I should have been more clear that I am looking for a factory made shortened barrel - I have seen many spare barrels in the $125 -$150 price range, but then I'll have to add the cost of having that barrel cut down.

BigJ - mine is the AC variety. It doesn't have any of the makings like the swastika or SS or Third Reich or anything stamped onthe sidethat would make it highly collectible. It has the walther banner and "Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur)" wth "Walther's Patent Cal. 9m/m" under it. I actually always foundd it curious that it had English writing on it.

The serial number is 249XX followed by the German Eagle symbol (which, honestly, I just noticed), if that helps further identify where and when it was made.

I know I could put it aside and never fire it, but honestly, I'd never sell it because it has sentimental value and I enjoy running a few rounds through it now and then.
Strange,

I also enjoy firing mine, both have Nazi markings on them and as much as I just want to preserve them I can't help but want to shoot them. They are a fine shooting pistol no doubt. Same goes for my P-08 Lugers too, they shoot even better and one of them is from 1916!