Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Caliber for young shooters? >

Caliber for young shooters?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for young shooters?

Old 12-16-2002, 04:22 PM

Default RE: Caliber for young shooters?

As good as the .30-30 is, the stocks are poorly designed to absorb recoil. The Winchesters are worse than the Marlins but they both have a higher "percieved" recoil than what it actually is. Yes the .30-30 is an option but in my opinion, not the best one. The 6.5 Swede and even 7mm Mauser that NoMercy mentioned would also be excellent choices. Also check out the New England Firearms rifles. These neat single shot rifles do come in .243, .25-06 and a bunch of other great deer calibers plus you can buy optional barrels in other calibers just like the Encore just a lot less expensive (they sell for around $200-$300.00 with extra barrels less than $100). They are also very accurate.

Regardless of which gun you buy the real problem will be making a decision because ther are so many good calibers for the kids. Pick any of them between .25-06 and 7mm-08 and let budget, stock fit, and ammo cost and availability be the deciding factors and you will be very happy.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:34 PM
bigcountry

I would hate to know the statistics on how many kids took there first deer with a youth size 30-30. I know I did. At 11 or so, a 30-30 is a peice of cake.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:13 PM

the 7mm-08 is a great light recoiling deer round and would be my pick for a young hunter's first deer rifle. the 257 roberts is also a fine choice, if you can find one at a rersonable cost. the 243 is not personal favorite but it kills alot of deer every year. stay away from a 308 or the 25-06, they have too much recoil for a young hunter.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

In this case, I like the .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 Swedish, .260 Rem, 7x57 Mauser and 7mm-08 Rem.

The Roberts, Swede and Mauser are perfect for handloaders, because most factory ammo is downloaded (read: mild recoil) and perfect for young shooters to practice with. You can then load hotter when they are ready.

The .260, and the 7mm-08 are ready to rock right out of the box.

I love 'em all, though!

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 12-16-2002, 08:24 PM

Lots of good advice. I'd like to second Nomercy's point about the ear protection, though. A young shooter's first impression of a rifle will determine how they feel about it for a long time. The muzzle blast from a deer rifle hitting unprotected ears makes it seem like you're getting pounded no matter how light the recoil.

As so many said, a .257 Roberts or .260 Rem. would be great for a kid or an adult, carrying just a tad more insurance than a .243, yet still having very mild recoil.

If you can tell the difference in recoil between a .308 and .30-06 with the same bullet weights, you're more perceptive than I am. Some kids might shoot one of these just fine, but a lighter caliber seems like a wiser choice.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I think I sort of had tunnel vision with the 243/308 issue and forgot there are some other great possibilities. I may end up going with "the best rifle available."

As far as the size and build of my kid issue, he is a pretty sturdy 95# and in great shape from constant sports, but I don't think this is the issue. I know kids, and I know a thing or two about shooters, recoil, and accuracy. Letting a young kid fire a rifle one time and not having them fall over and scream from the recoil is a far cry from developing confident shooting habits that will allow responsible hunting. I want my son to be as comfortable and experienced as possible before he gets a big-game animal in the crosshairs.

How many adults do you see sighting in their rifles who have horrible flinches, etc. as a result of guns they can't really handle? These guys can't be any better on game; I see them having trouble hitting paper at the range. I don't want any part of this for my son. I expect within a few years he'll be able to shoot most anything;but most shooters who learn to handle recoil well start small and work up to big. Most everyone would flinch like crazy (at least for a while) if they started out with a 338. These habits are tough to break.

I'm more concerned with getting a gun he'll find enjoyable to shoot enough to be highly accurate. I also want to make sure it fits him stock-wise. I remember battling full sized stocks for years when I was a kid. I was thinking 243 because they make some "youth models."
Any ideas on cutting-off or replacing stocks to make a rifle fit better?

Incidentally, I've got two 30-30's (94s) on my rack, and while kids have been using these for years with some success,if you haven't shot a straight stocked, 5#, butt-plate rifle for a while - they do whack a bit.

Thanks again, all!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like the 308...my sons first deer rifle (if i ever have a son) is going to be a ruger #1 in 308 or a TC in 308...you cant go wrong with the 308...its a great caliber and its never too small for about all deer..and generally its recoil is pretty mild...if the shooter can take it thats a pretty good round...not something they will grow out of...i mean sure u can take deer all the time with a 243...but with a hit a hair off you have some tracking...you put it a hair off and a 308 still might do the trick...most of the shots ive heard of with 243s no matter what go about 70+yds...all the ones with a 308 drop or dont make it 50...but if hte shooter cant take it and i know some kids cant the 243 will be a great little gun...and let them grow and get a bigger gun when they are ready..it all depends on the kid..some kids would cry over a 308...

Old 12-16-2002, 10:31 PM

Thanks again. The input really helps.

BTW, Nomercy, I'm dyin' to ask; where exactly does one find a "30 lb. six year old?"

End of a ran-out-of-food lunch line?
Dwarf convention?
Ethiopia?
Cocker spaniel kennel at the pet store?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:01 PM

My 12 y/o shoots a rem 700 youth in 243. he has killed two bucks this year with it. one ran oh 40 yards maybe ,.
Now how many experts on here have taken two bucks this year???
yeah he can shoot my model seven in 308 , but the recoil makes him a poor shot. he has shot many other rifles but he can shoot the 243 better than most adults can shoot. so let him shoot the one he is most comfortable with. i will promise you it will put venison in your freezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a 6.5x55 and it's a great cartridge for deer with very low recoil and excellent results.

Quick Reply: Caliber for young shooters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.