Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 POLICE TOOK MY GUNS.....ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP >

POLICE TOOK MY GUNS.....ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

POLICE TOOK MY GUNS.....ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP

Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POLICE TOOK MY GUNS.....ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP

They are keeping them because of your statement that you might hurt someone. If this had happened in Providence I know guys on the force and could have gotten there side of the story but i don't know anyone in the Pawtucket police force. Sorry can't help you there . Your best bet is to contact a lawyer

[/align]
Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

even with a real good lawer he might not get them back because of his own admission. would have been better to just quit, least you would still have your guns.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Based on YOUR OWN statements, I don't see you getting those guns back. Look on the bright side, there's always bow hunting
Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Based on YOUR OWN statements, I don't see you getting those guns back. Look on the bright side, there's always bow hunting
Good one
Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

You talk too much. If the guns have alot of sentimental value then call a lawyer, if not take it as a lesson learned and just replace them. It's people like you that say all the wrong things that get all these wonderful gun laws created. Next time just tell them to TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT.....I AINT WORKIN HERE NO MORE!!!! And if they ask for a reason just throw in a few choice four letter words and they will ****** you to the door....but you will still have your guns.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i can't believe how everyone on this discussion is addressing what you "should" or "should not" have said, instead of the real issue is how they are legally required to give them back, and they arent.

THAT IS THE ISSUE HERE. the point isnt that they took them, he is looking for help on how he should get them back. telling him what he did wrong two month ago isnt helping anyone.

and people giving him crap for posting this in more than one forum? are you serious? people do it all the time. Different people hang out in different forums, and he is trying to get a wider audience for a variety of responses.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Did they take your car too? Cars are dangerous. Did they come to your house to confiscate you kitchen cutlery? Did they cut off the gas to your house? Take your belt and shoelaces? Of course they didn't. That would be acting out of genuine concern for you and their own liability. No sir, this is another one of those gun control laws dressed up as a public safety issue.

You were not committed. Never even "under treatment". Your.......civil......rights......have......been.. .....violated.......get......a.........lawyer..... a......greedy.....lawyer.

BTW, next time just say "I got a better job at Wal-Mart, see you later".
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Others have given some good advice. When you mentioned that you could have potential to hurt yourself or someone else, it was justified to have you evaluated in a hospital and to take your firearms. As to why you have not been able to get them back yet, it does not that you know why, and may want to begin there. "Why can I not have my firearms back yet and what do I need to do to get them back." It would not hurt to start seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis, once every month or so, as he or she can not only provide you with care for depression, but also be someone to attest to your safety, thus may help you in your process of getting firearms back, when safe enough to do so.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin

i can't believe how everyone on this discussion is addressing what you "should" or "should not" have said, instead of the real issue is how they are legally required to give them back, and they arent. he is looking for help on how he should get them back. telling him what he did wrong two month ago isnt helping anyone.
You are right on this point. However, a number of responses aboveDO address what he has to do to get his guns back! For example:

"I believe you are going to have to sue those who are refusing to return your guns, and in order to prevail, you will probably have to PROVE that you are NOT a danger to anyone. But, if you sue and win your case, you might be able to recover court costs, in which caseyou will ultimately recover thelawyers' fees. This is particularly true if you furnish the authorities who are holding your guns with proof that you are not unstable BEFORE going to court with your complaint, and they still force you into a lawsuit!

(Before you lay out a lot of money for legal fees, etc., I would consider the cost of merely replacing the guns with new ones - if you can pass the required Federal background check, as you claim, you should have no problems at the gun dealer's place of business. Of course, this would depend on WHAT the guns are! Did they take your grandfather's Royal Grade Holland & Holland .475 #2 double rifle, your Parker 28-gauge, or a Purdey shotgun?)

BTW, you may "know your rights" under Rhode Island law, but that will NOT keep some judge from making a decision which is apparently totally off the wall, neither logical nore in accordance with the law, AS YOU READ IT!"

"Just file your lawsuit for your guns, and show the inclusion of court costs, and lawyer fees. Outline your recourse with the fact , not your feelings, and see what they say. They may back down, but if not, go ahead. You sometimes have to spend money and stand up for your self in the name of whats right and Just. You may also have them rethinking their policy and stop them from doing it to others, if they see that people will not just roll over and give up. Thats just money in their pocket when they sell the guns."

Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

He was wrong for saying what he said and the police are wrong for keeping his firearms. After all they didn't take his car!

You could hire a lawyer and you could win to get your guns back but I don't feel that you will get your legal fees back. I bet is some twisted way they could prove they had to do what they did.

If the guns are replaceable walk away.

Tom

Quick Reply: POLICE TOOK MY GUNS.....ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.