Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Problems w/ sighting in... >

Problems w/ sighting in...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problems w/ sighting in...

Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default Problems w/ sighting in...

Ok was trying to zero in my fathers .243 win this evening and wasn't having much luck. He is shooting 95gr FUSION bullets and has a tasco proghorn 4x scope on. Took 5 shots to get on box at 25yrds, I got it shooting about 2.5in low at 50, so went out to 100yrds and 1st was 3in left. I adjusted the scope and 2nd shot was dead on left and right, but dropped about 6in, 3rd shot at 100yrds went 1.5in left and about 3in low. We only had one more shell so I fired it at 50 yrds and was only about .5in low. What is going on with this thing?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM

Default RE: Problems w/ sighting in...

Loose scope mounts? Junk mounts? Junk scope?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Loose scope mounts? Junk mounts? Junk scope?
I never really used lock tite on a scope mount before this year, not that I ever had a problem. I usually retighten my rings every few shots and never had a failure. Could be any or all three Retaks mentioned though. Check everything out, if the mount and rings are OK I'd suspect the scope.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

BORE SIGHT A RIFLE
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Sighting in your expensive new Deer Rifle - snopes.com
1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle............... $ 500.00 2. Quality,
high-powered scope........................ $ 200.00 3. Bore sighting device. ...
message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=6311
NewWindow·SimilarSites·Alexa·Cached·Archived
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Spike

oops..forgotten to mention that part. We did use a boresighter, its a BSA that has a little scope attachment that screws into a metal rod, which sticks out the end of the barrel. The scope device has a grid in it and that is what is to be used to dial in the scope. The thing wobbles around like crazy and I think it is a piece of junk...my father seems to think it work...obviously it doest. What are some good at-home bore sighters? Are the Site-Lites any good?(the bullet cast with a laser in it that chambers into the rifle)
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kbeaner

oops..forgotten to mention that part. We did use a boresighter, its a BSA that has a little scope attachment that screws into a metal rod, which sticks out the end of the barrel. The scope device has a grid in it and that is what is to be used to dial in the scope. The thing wobbles around like crazy and I think it is a piece of junk...my father seems to think it work...obviously it doest. What are some good at-home bore sighters? Are the Site-Lites any good?(the bullet cast with a laser in it that chambers into the rifle)
This is the best way!

BORE SIGHT A RIFLE

Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM

I had this same problem with my savage for a while, shots all over the place when I'd try to set the scope. I then figured out that I needed to chill out and stop poppin off shots like my life depended on it and that I needed a solid rest.

hehe....
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

To bore sight if a bolt rifle, I pull the bolt, clamp it in my vise(or if not you can use a second pair of steady hands of sand bags, etc or cut a 2 V's in a box to hold the rifle steady), then looking down the bore I pick a spot on the target, paper, wall at 25yards..place a small coloured dot to centre the bore and then just adjust the crosshairs to match. Fire 2-3 at 25 to verify/adjust if required and move to 100 yards firing groups of 3 to make my next adjustments.

Though like mentioned i don't think boresighting is your problem either. Double check the mounts to ensure they are tight, then try some 3 shot groups and taking your time before touching the adjustment knobs - sounds like your chasing the bull!

Quick Reply: Problems w/ sighting in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.