Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 UMC Ammo issues >

UMC Ammo issues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

UMC Ammo issues

Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
bigcountry

Default UMC Ammo issues

Well, I usually don't reload 9mm ammo. I have before in the past. As long as its 5 dollars/box, I doubt I will. Usually stock up on UMC ammo. Well yesterday, I went to the pistol range, and had a peirced primer. Which might have meant overpressure. I have shot probably 5000 rounds of UMC 9mm in my life, and this is a first. It started off as a stovepipe in my berretta. That is kinda odd as this gun has never jammed, and then I noticed the primer.

I always saw that UMC's were loaded down. Usually a very fast powder (probably cause they are cheap).

Could have been a bad scene.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UMC Ammo issues

I know my Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 cal does not like the UMC. But my H&K 40 shoots them just fine

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can only post one picture at a time. He's my H&K.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know about pistol rounds in UMC but i shoot them out of my colt match target AR .223and it shoots them great and i have never had a jam or anything.And i just shot 100 rounds over the weekend...Maybe you just had bad luck and got a bad one..."nobody or nothing is perfect"
Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

I dont know about pistol rounds in UMC but i shoot them out of my colt match target AR .223and it shoots them great and i have never had a jam or anything.And i just shot 100 rounds over the weekend...Maybe you just had bad luck and got a bad one..."nobody or nothing is perfect"
I think somehow, people are missing the point of this post. Its not to critiize or put down peoples choice of ammo.Or tell them not to shoot UMC's. So there is no need to debunk or tell me how well it does in your gun.

The point was, to warn that even UMC's which are lightly/weak loaded can have issues that can be dangerous. And if you have stovepipes, or jams, don't just keep on shooting. Stop, check things out. A pierced primer, for experienced reloaders know you have reached a critical level.

Hope this makes more sense now.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Oh ok..The way you worded that first post,it kinda confused me and i could not make no sense out of it..Just that you found a bad shell..But thanks for the heads up,being all that i shoot for plinking is umc i will take a more careful look...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I get your point. My point was that I shoot them in my guns and have never had a problem with them other than my S&W doesn't seem to feed them as well. So, thanks for the warning. When you spend $5 on a box of centerfire ammo thats what you get $5 centerfire ammo. IMHO it doesn't matter if you spend 4 times as much you'll still have some duds.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 PM

I used UMC for my 9mm Glock until last year, when I noticed my pattern getting bigger. I got some wolf (also cheap) and went back to normal. I think the problem was that the loads were not uniform. I had no misfires or stovepipes. I still use UMC for plinking in the .223, no complaints.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, maybeif you post a picture of your gun we'll be betterable to understand the ammo issue.

Also it would be helpful to see the magazines also ...........
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

BC, maybeif you post a picture of your gun we'll be betterable to understand the ammo issue.

Also it would be helpful to see the magazines also ...........
It was a pierced primer. I assume any gun guy knows exactly what that means. That means overpressure to reloaders mainly. I happens sometimes when trying to find max load.

I guess if you want a picture, you can probably go to google and type pressure signs and pierced primer or something simular.

I guess if you want to see mags, go to cabelas or something like that. You can go to beretta website to see a 92FS.

Quick Reply: UMC Ammo issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.