Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-06 Elk Hunting >

30-06 Elk Hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06 Elk Hunting

Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Default RE: 30-06 Elk Hunting

I don't know anything about elk, but I do have some shooting experience. Get a better scope if you are new to long shooting, and then practice, practice, practice. Go buy a hearing aid and then practice, practice, practice. It takes a long time to learn to make a shot that long consistently.

Also, check out the terrain between you and the elk, that's a big a$$ animal to drag out!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dwood190

I have a Belgium Browning FN High Power (made in 1967)-safari grade-. Im going to Colorado to hunt elk with it... Looking to shoot 400-500 yards. It has a Leupold 2x7 vari-x II scope...... will this work okay?... what grain bullet should i shoot,,, what would be the best brand Bullet?
There is nothing at all wrong with the scope you intend to use. For such ranges, I would most definitely use a Nosler Partition bullet, as the front end of this type is very soft, intended to expand at low velocities whereas many of the more "modern" bullets have to be going faster than what the old '06 can do at 500 yards in order to expand. I would use a 200-grainer, loaded to over 2650 FPS MV. (But at my current shooting ability level, I would limit my shots on elk to 200-250 yards MAX! Find a good caller to get them in closer!)

Elk are big, alright! But they are not generally dragged out of the mountains like a deer! They are quartered, or just the edible meat removed & put in game bags, tied on a pack frame, and the meat carried out. Preferably by

a HORSE

IF YOU HAVE ONE!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

eldequello, Excellent advice. As usual
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

eldequello, Excellent advice. As usual
Thank you, sir!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

A true 500 yard shot is pretty difficult in real world hunting situations. If you can find a range and be consistent from field shooting positions at hitting an elks kill zone then this leaves you with a personal choice of how far you're comfortable shooting. I would keep it to more like 250-300 yards. As far as ammo I would look to Federal Premium's with a 180 gr. Partition. The partition works well at 06 velocities out to 300 yards. As for your optics I would upgrade if you have the cash. The Vari-X II was the scope all others were graded by. That was a long time ago. There are much brighter optics out there now. I would look to the Leupold VX-III, Zeiss Conquest, or if you want to go all out look at the Swarovski's, & Zeiss that cost over $1K.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM

two years ago i shot a moose at just over 400 yrds with my 30-06, and i gotta say, if i am crossed with that kind of shot again, i think i may let it walk, that was a long shot and i was lucky to have taken the moose, i had a good rest to shoot from but still, long ways away. take some of the guys advice and mine, your 06 will work without a dout, but practice alot and get comfortable shooting those distances cause very easy to wound an animal at that distance and they allready have 400-500 yrds headstart on you if they decide to run from a poor shot, anyways thats my 2 cents worth, good luck
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great advise on the 500 yards shots being difficult to consistently make. But let's not beat the horse to death.

I will try to give you some advise to (hopefully) make your hunt successful and memorable.

Just be realistic. See what you can do with your rifle consistently as far as range capability and plan on geting within that range before making your shot.

Bottom line is if you can't do 40 or 500 yards, you'll just have to get closer.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

Reading though this post and I could not believe someone saying 2-7 is not enough scope for 500 yrds 2x-7 is plenty. I agree with most of what has been posted. You need to get out and shoot and set your own limits and stick to them. Really long shots have been made with the 30/06 it is a great cartridge.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM

The .30-06 is a great round, which explains why it remains popular for 100 years. It was the my first centerfire rifle and I still own one today. A 2x-7 scope is plenty of scope for someone accustomed to shooting out to 500, but I think a newer shooter will appreciate a little more magnification. Their learning curve will be better with the added magnification. Even though I love the 06, my personal favorite for a long shot is the .308.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM

only shoot as far as your comfarable with i shoot mine good out to 850 yards in real world conditions but i have made a special bipod, and have a chart i made for difrent yardages and windage

Quick Reply: 30-06 Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.