Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Handgun caliner for wife? >

Handgun caliner for wife?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun caliner for wife?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Handgun caliner for wife?

I'd like to say that Mrs Biscuit loves the 45, but she only shot well when she kept here eyes open. I let her pick out anything she wanted, and she got a S&W Centennial, and shoots 38 special. She is pretty good out to 15 yards, too.

Not the best for breaking through bones etc, but still would not want to get hit with it.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

If she is just starting out why not a .22 pistol but if she is more advanced a 9mm is perfect
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is for a novice, then no doubt go with a revolver. If it will be for her protection, then no doubt go with quality. I suggest a S&W 38+P. I would go with the Titanium. If not a Model 60 will serve her well. Only shoot light 38's out of the pistol. Load it with +P loads only when carrying, or when it is to be used for protection. If it is for her safety, do not go cheap, and do not go with a semi-automatic. You want the pistol to go bang every time she pulls the trigger. You DO NOT want her trying to clear a chamber at the time of need. Tom.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM

The best home defense gun for your wife would be a pump 12ga, If someone comes in the house she can pump the action (Every crook knows that sound) If the intruder does not leave all she has to do is point a shotgun, with a handgun during the exitement she might miss, but not with 12ga.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM

Did you think about a 380? The Beretta Cheetah and the SIG P232 are really nice. CZ also makes a nice 380. I will probably buy my wife the Beretta for concealed carry. She didn't like the larger compact pistols, these seem to have a smaller grip. The only thing you need to make sure of is that she can rack the slide.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 12 gauge would work OK, but it's a little too big to use if she's already been snuck up on, besides, I would think a home protection would be needed in very close quarters, and in the dark. She won't be feeling the recoil of any gun when she's trying to defend herself, so a short barrel wouldn't be bad for carry, but it'd be a pain to practice with.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

chr103yod I think you asked a question of me. For a small carry piece, I like the 380, understanding that the midbores may take multiple rounds to take effect. For my spouse, she has fired 22, 32, 38, 357, 44 & 45... and I also took her to two major dealers to check out everything! Fit & feel had a whole lot to do with her decision to get a S&W Hammerless. Also, she can fire it from purse, or even a bag of groceries, if there isn't a tootsie roll stuck in the trigger guard. Indeed, many years ago when I worked corrections, a fellow officer on my shift and his wife were both murdered by an escapee, who I also knew well. So, in all honesty, although she shot fine with the midbores, I kept an 870 riot gun at hand with buckshot. Happy to say, now that I am retired from hostilities, we shoot targets and occasional delicacies for the chuck wagon.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to recommend a 2"-4" 38+P revolver with lasergrips for a lady that is petite and not a 'gun person' or regular shooter. If she isn't trained well, she'll instinctively focus on the threat instead of the sights. That's why people miss, and lasergrips can help greatly. Get an all steel frame to keep the weight upand keep a lid on recoil. If a 38 (without the +P)is still too much, then back off to 32H+R.Make sure she understands that it will amost certainly be necessary to keep shooting after the first hit. Revolvers are simple, and she probably won't be able to do a reload anyway.

If both of you are comfortable with semis, then 9mm is the way to go.
40, 357 sig, 45acp, and 45gap are better, but only if she is comfortable with them and can shoot them well....quickly. A slim45 gap might just steal the ladies share of CC hardware in the future. Short case=smaller grip, if the cartridge survives.

The 9s and 40sare so small now that the 380has just about lost its market niche. I wouldn't bother. If I need to hide something smaller than a 9mm, the next step down for me is a 32acp, and the bad guy won't know I have it until he feels the point blank muzzle blast on his skin, and about the time his mistake registers, I'll be finishing off the mag. Little calibers need followup without hesitation.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a semi the 9 mm is the way to go. Lots cheaper to load than the .45. I you are looking at a wheel gun then go with the .357 for she could shout the .38 special and when she wantsw the bigger boom the .357 round. Once again all day at the range doesn't break the bank.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Hope y'all can help . . . I'm wondering what handgun caliber you think would be best for my wife?

(My buddy says to get her something I can survive.) Ha - Ha

I'm going to take her out and shoot my .45acp, but expect her to be scared of it. If not, that's what I'll go with. But what do some of you have for home defense for the wife?
I let my wife try all the various & sundry handguns I had. She decided she liked my Colt Gold Cup best. She could not understand anyone being put off by shooting the .45 ACP. Of course, no-one had told her how difficult it is to shoot one, and how bad the recoil is. She didn't even know what I was talking about, when I asked her about the recoil! Now, the .45 is the only gun she's interested in shooting! And she can hit her target with it, too.

Quick Reply: Handgun caliner for wife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.