Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 help with new purchase >

help with new purchase

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help with new purchase

Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 AM

Default help with new purchase

i;m looking at a savage model 10fp in .308. i need a accurate, reliable bolt gun for sniper school for our srt team. anyone have any thoughts on savage? also any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance,kyle
Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help with new purchase

I just bought one in .223 and with cheapy American eagle 55 grain FMJ's it was shooting consistant 1.5" groups at 200 yards thats SUB MOA which is good enough for most agencies.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Can't comment on that exact gun, but i have a savage 7mm-08 and it was accurate right out of the box. It has been spot on and i can't say that i would ever worry about a Savage not being accurate. They have a reputation of being very good shooters. Mine was certainly, and i trust it 100% to do it's job as long as i do.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:12 AM

this one has the accutrigger, synthetic stock, 22 or 24 in bbl. what barrel length do you reccomend? i was thinking the 22in. does the other 2 in make that much difference?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you say value? That's a heck of a gun for the money. Accuracy wise, it will do the job and then some. I like the longer barrel, but it's your choice. The oversize bolt handle is good. The Accu-trigger is good. That .308 is the bugs nuts. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most agencies are using the Remington PSS or the LTR, you might want to look at those...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what sort of "sniper school" you are training in. Is this is military, civilian or what kind of sniper training?
I thought for military schools they have their own custom modified versions of some civilian rifles. In know the Marines snipers do and they have special teams who do all hand loading for them.
My understanding that aside from some of those teams going to the very long range AS50 and Barrett L82A1 (military designation XM107) .50-caliber semi-auto sniper rifles that a very significant number of them shoot .300 WM for it's longer range, flat trajectory with less affect by wind than some lighter calibers.
If you have a choice, check out bolt actions by Tikka, Sako, Remington 700 BDL, too. The former can properly shot can consistently put grouping in sub-minute of angle. Sako makes models specifically for use by snipers, but the others are very adaptable it sounds like.
Tikka/Sako also have very smooth adjustable triggers, stiff floating barrels and strong actions. The built in rail on top of the receiver keeps the mounts rock solid.
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn22-e.htm
T3 Tactical - http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=27
Otherwise, ask experienced persons who've taken the same training you're in what they recommend.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a Tikka, Remington, Browning. Then u'll be way ahead of the game! Tikka is about the only factory gun (bolt) that you get a guarantee with for accuracy.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

tikka's are junk nothing but a economical version of a sako if you actually hold one and compare it to an actuall sako you will see all the cut corners. like a plastic trigger guard, plastic end cap on the bolt and one action length for all calibers, Long...... they may be accurate but deffinately were not built for durability.

Like said before most agencies are using LE type Remington M700 in the P, PSS and LTR variations. I dont think you would have any trouble with the Savage 10FP though its not a mainstream gun that most would choose but it is however an accurate and quality rifle that is marketed towards LE agencies and do offer all the desired features that would make it a practical weapon for LE use.

You might have better luck asking other officers in your Dept. for opinions to see what they might recommend. rather then askin on here since most the folks here are just biassed towards what ever they have and for most they just regurgitate what others have said through the he said she said syndrome which is what mostly goes on here along with the Ford vs Chevy type, if ya know what I mean? In other words you have to sort through horse dung to get good info here anymore.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

HDW - Tikka and Sako have made rifles specifically for this purpose and are use by some countries' military snipers for years. Unlike your response, I did say that Remington or Savage weren't good rifles for this or other purposes.
I think you'd find very few people who've owned and used thise rifles to agree with you slam on them.
http://www.snipercentral.com/tikkat3.htm
The military issues a number ofweapons that have synethic and compositeparts in specific areas of the weapons to save weight. And frankly, for certain applications, synthetic/composite can be designed to have characteristics that hold up under tough use in all sorts of conditions better than standard metal parts.
Rifles that consistently shot groupings in sub minute of angle in the hands of an experienced marksman are something to be take seriously.

Quick Reply: help with new purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.