Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 WSM

Old 12-13-2002, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 WSM

I would still prefer the regular "old" 300 win mag.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:15 PM
bigcountry

Well, no one is going to like this, but everyone has an opinion. I bet there has been 10 times more WSM's sold in its first few years than the 300Win Mags way back when they came out. I bet over the next decade, you will see the 300WSM easily outsell the 300Win Mag. And I bet in the end, it will phase out the good ole win mag.

Why? Cause marketing is honed down to a razor sharp edge. People will buy what they are told they need. I was in a gun store in Ky over thankgiving hearing some guys talk and one said "a man needs a 7mmRUM at least to hunt deer". Growing up in that area, I am used to big talk and everyone fighting to compete with the jones, but what he said was total BS.

But on a factual point. It is a great round and a great idea. Alot of people has had alot of luck with the round on the ranges. Not as heavy a kick as a RUM or Weatherby or even win mag, in a short action, nonbelted case. And inherently, a short action case should be more accurate and consistent than a long action. If you want it, get it.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:50 PM

Interesting discussion. I went with the 270WSM for a number of reasons, but can't make a statement that I "needed" the magnum cartridge. I came across a statistic a while back, it stated that the average shot taken was something like 325 yards, average kill was around 175 yards. If you look at those as the average, there's a great many hunters who don't "need" a magnum of an type or caliber.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get one. Heck, I've made the jump. But find the rifle that "feels right" for you, with the round that'll hit at the distances you'll be shooting. If you want a bigger caliber or a magnum cuz it gives you room to grow, go for it. Ammo availability and price is a valid consideration, but as someone on this board put it, the box of ammo may be one of the least expensive parts of the whole trip.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good shooting.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:42 PM

300 WSM. The sporting goods stores in this area sold every one they could get their hands on this past fall. I bought mine in the spring - a model 70 Classic Stainless. I had the trigger cleaned up, the lugs lapped and a Pachmayr Decelerator installed. It shoots 1 1/2 to 2 in. with factory loads. I love this rifle and I have a freezer full of delicious moose from a broadside 175 yd. shot through the shoulder lungs & heart with a 180 gr. Fail Safe.

In 2003 Sako will be chambering the 300 WSM in their model 75's including the Finlight. Now that would be nice.

As more guns are sold and more manufacturers chamber it, ammo will become more plentiful and (hopefully) less expensive. gg.

"When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year and a half"
Old 12-14-2002, 06:13 AM

sako finnlight in 300wsm sounds nice.

Old 12-14-2002, 06:31 AM
JKT

Sako Finnlight in 300WSM is the one I've been waiting on.

Anybody know when they are going to be available and where did you see

the information?
Old 12-14-2002, 06:51 AM

Re; Sako Finlight 300 WSM

Stoeger Canada, Whitby, Ontario, Phone (905)436-9077 is the Canadian importer for Sako & Tika. I spoke to their Sales & Distributor Manager at a hunting show in the fall. He told me then the 75 would be chambered in 300 WSM in 2003. About 2 weeks ago I was at their premises in Whitby on another matter. I asked again about the availability of the 300 WSM and was again told "2003" in the 75 including the Finlight. They weren't able to be specific on timing. Apparently Sako in Finland have acquired a new Hammer Forger which will permit increased barrel production to meet increased world wide demand for Sako. gg.

"When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year and a half"
Old 12-14-2002, 08:50 AM
JKT

Thanks for the info Goodguy, that's sounds reliable.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Don't these new calibers make for a lighter rifle?

there is no subsitute for quality