Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Husqvarna 270 Win >

Husqvarna 270 Win

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Husqvarna 270 Win

Old 03-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Husqvarna 270 Win

My neighbor is looking to sell a Husqvarna rifle in 270 . There are no other markings but the serial # 137025. It was his father in laws and they don't know when it was purchased but I'm guessing in the 50s or 60s. I assume it was purchased in Alberta, Canada because that is where he was from, but they aren't sure. I loved he action. It felt and looked similar to a Browning A-bolt.

Anyone familiar with these rifles? I've searched and can't find much. I see some selling for $500 on up to $1000+, but I have no idea if this is a similar model. It appears to be a great quality gun, just from the fell of it.

Let me know if anyone is familiar with these rifles.

Spud

Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Husqvarna 270 Win

In 1953 my father bought me my first rifle at Sears & Roebuck. It was a J.C. Higgins Mod 51L .30-06(Husqvarna Action) for $99.99.

Husqvarna
This Swedish made, slightly modified Mauser 98 action was discontinued around 1970. Most of the modifications were made to simplify production and represent a step backward from the original Mauser design, but the changes were minor. These Include a very positive but difficult to operate spring steel magazine floorplate release in the front of the trigger guard and the lack of an external bolt release. (You remove the bolt by pressing down the receiver mounted pivoting ejector, which protrudes from the edge of the bolt face when the bolt is fully open.) Unlike a Mauser 98 but like most other bolt action rifles, the magazine box is separate from the bottom iron.
The safety is a slider mounted at the right rear of the action. It locks the trigger but not the bolt, which can be opened with the safety "on."
The Husqvarna action is very precisely machined from top grade steel. It handles escaping powder gasses as well as any other Mauser pattern action. It is one of the slickest, perhaps the slickest, Mauser 98 pattern action that I have ever owned.
Other positive features include a one piece bolt, one piece firing pin, flat bottom receiver with integral recoil lug, adjustable trigger, one piece bottom iron, a generous loading/ejection port, and full length extractor for controlled feeding. Like all Mauser 98 style actions, the Husqvarna's full length extractor takes a very large "bite" on the case rim for positive extraction of dirty, oversize, or stuck cases. If you can find one, the Husqvarna is a very fine action and an excellent choice around which to build a custom rifle.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Although I have never owned one, I always thought those original Husqvarnas were superb rifles. Light weight as well as beautifully made. If they were still available, I wouldnot mind owning one, and I can't think of a better caliber, either!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Guys,

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know how to tell the various models apart? I can't find anything to indicate what model this is. I'd like to buy it off my neighbor but not sure what price and it seems to vary by model.

Spud
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Husqvarna - A - 22-250 - 23'' - Blue - 365996 -
This rifle was purchased back in the mid-70's. It has ''Husqvarna Vapenfabrinks A B - Sweden'' stamped on the receiver and ''Smith & Wesson'' stamped on the barrel. What gives?

Answer:
Ken, S&W Model A - bolt action rifles were available in 22-250, 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum. Rifles weighed 7 pounds and had a checkered Monte Carlo stock with rosewood forend tip and pistol gripcap. Barrels were 23 & 3/4 inches long with adjustable folding leaf rear sight and hooded German silver bead front sight. Receivers were drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Magazines were five-shot except for rifles chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum which had three round magazines.

Model A rifles were manufactured for S&W under contract by Husqvarna of Sweden, this is the reason for the S&W and Husqvarna markings on the barrel & receiver. S&W marketed Husqvarna manufactured Model A rifles in the U.S.A. from 1969 to 1972. Marc
Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Reb,

Thanks. The one I looked at has ''Husqvarna Vapenfabrinks A B 270 Winch" stamped on the barrell and the serial # on the side of the barrel and no other visible markings. I think the stock is not original, because it has some inlay; mainly diamond shapes and a deer head. I'ver read several strands similar to what you've shared, but none seem to describe the rifle I've seen.

Spud
Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Can you post a picture of the rifle and serialnumber? Here in sweden Husqvarna rifles is still popular, I think I can help you with age and model if you can post a picture...