Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel break in the final word >

Barrel break in the final word

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel break in the final word

Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Barrel break in the final word

I just got an email back from CZ. Note: I only emailed them yesterday. It read " Our bbls are hammer forged and hand lapped from the factory and do not need to be broke in." I thought this needed to have it's own post to make sure everybody who posted saw it. Kinda neat huh.

[/align]
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barrel break in the final word

Barrel break in done right is useful, even for a CZ or a top of the line Krieger or lilja. I bet ya big bag of nickels that there is no hammer forged CZ barrel as smooth as a dan lilja and they recommend it.

If you are cleaning between shots and first one is dark blue with copper, and the 6th one is almost no copper, you are doing something undisputedly. And then you shoot 5 rounds and clean and its dark blue with copper, and on the 3 cycle, there is almost no copper, you are doing something.

Done properly looking for proper things, its very useful.

But hey man, its your gun, do what you want with it.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 PM

"I bet ya big bag of nickels that there is no hammer forged CZ barrel as smooth as a dan lilja and they recommend it."

Personally i think that Lilja barrels are over hypped expensive pieces of pig iron that are no better than most other quality barrels out there.Boughtthree of them beforei wised up. Had one put on a Model 700 Remington that shot .5 inch groups with the old Remington barrel. The Lilja barrel turned it into a 1 inch rifle.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you swap a barrel for one that was shooting .5? Were you changing calibers?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

"I bet ya big bag of nickels that there is no hammer forged CZ barrel as smooth as a dan lilja and they recommend it."

Personally i think that Lilja barrels are over hypped expensive pieces of pig iron that are no better than most other quality barrels out there.Boughtthree of them beforei wised up. Had one put on a Model 700 Remington that shot .5 inch groups with the old Remington barrel. The Lilja barrel turned it into a 1 inch rifle.

Well, that statement right there says alot about you. Thats for sure.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've never "broke in" a barrel in any of my firearms and they all shoot fine. however, i'm just a hunter...not a benchrest shooter shooting 1,000 yards.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i've never "broke in" a barrel in any of my firearms and they all shoot fine. however, i'm just a hunter...not a benchrest shooter shooting 1,000 yards.
But if you were, would you "break in" a Douglas Premium grade barrel that gives you 5-shot groups like this one without any break-in?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:57 AM

"Why would you swap a barrel for one that was shooting .5? Were you changing calibers?"

Simply because it wore out. For the first 3,000 rounds that .22-250 barrel shot .5 inchthree shot groups at 100 yards. Thenaccuracy started to gosouth. Had the Lilja barrel installed by a very good gunsmith, big mistake. The Lilja barrel came off, went back to Lilja andRemingtonre-barreled the rifle. Viola!!! Instant .5 inch groups again.

Toquote the old lady who survived the Jonestown mass suicide: "i ain't drinking the Kool Aid."

Old 03-16-2007, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

But if you were, would you "break in" a Douglas Premium grade barrel that gives you 5-shot groups like this one without any break-in?

YOu bet! I have and still do! Not for accuracy potential but to make weapon that fouls less.
alsagr
that is quite possibly the most rediculous thing I've read on this site. Sounds to me like you need a new smith, or you are just a Troll that really has never shot a custom barrel at all. Either way your opinion is suspect to me.

bigcountry
If you are cleaning between shots and first one is dark blue with copper, and the 6th one is almost no copper, you are doing something undisputedly. And then you shoot 5 rounds and clean and its dark blue with copper, and on the 3 cycle, there is almost no copper, you are doing something.
EXACTLY! Folks it isn't about turning a 1 inch gun into a 1/2 inch gun its about turning that 1 inch gun that occasionally throws a flyer that makes it 2 inches into a consistant 1 incher. Or more importantly turns a rifle that takes hours to remove the copper fouling into a weapon that will be clean with one application of Wipeout.

standsleeper

The Final Word
As you can see there is no such thing as the final word on this site. Too many Varying opinions from too hard of heads! (mine included)
Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

But hey man, its your gun, do what you want with it.
Yep.

I have heard very good arguments from both sides of the fence. The way I look at it is this:

Whenever you get a new rifle/barrel, you are going to have to find what it likes best with regards to ammo. So in effect, when you are playing with your new toy, and developing a load for it, or even finding a factory load it likes the best, you are, in effect, going through the "break in" process. Does it hurt the gun? Probably not much... Does it help the gun? Probably not much... But it does help you become accustomed to it again, and find the ammunition it shoots the best with. Everybody wins.

Quick Reply: Barrel break in the final word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.