Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun insurance? >

Gun insurance?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun insurance?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gun insurance?

I am curious as to if you can buy insurance on your guns?If you do you buy it from?How many of you guys have insurance on your guns?The reason that im asking is because there has been alot of break ins around my nieghborhood and i'm concerned for my guns,even though they are in a 800 lbs gun safe i still worry.I dont own my home either so i can't get homeowner insurance for them.Thanks for the info in advance.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun insurance?

Ask your insurance agent about Renters Insurance very cheap ($100-125).
There is/should be basic coverage for guns,cameras,jewelry etc....Can also increase coverages based on your gun collection.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

When you join the NRA you get $1000 free with your membership and I think it's $1.65/$100 per year for extra insurance so if you want $5000 it would cost you $66 per year.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Renters insurance is the best deal in insurance so I would carry that regardless. See how much they cover to because a lot of policies have limits on guns and jewlery and as I've recently found out tools.

Tom
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, I'm covered. Home owner's (or renter's) insurance sometimes covered stolen property such as guns, but usually only for a couple thousand dollars, unless you opt for extra coverage.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
bigcountry

I have an extra 25K policy for guns on my homeowners, but I had it on renters too at one time.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry's got it exactly right.
Your homeowners or renters insurance will cover losses to a set amount, then yer SOL.
I insure all of my guns , canoe, kayak , fishing rods ( the deep sea stuff) and bagpipesapart from the homeowners policy.
hell, a piece of the space shuttle could take out my house and my stuff would be covered.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Like is said above, most homeowner's/renter's insurance will cover firearms up to a set amount. Mine covers up to $1,500. It will only cover theft and total destruction (like from a fire).

If you need additional coverage, you have several options:

1) Some insurance companies will allow you to purchase a "rider" for additional coverage.

2) You can purchase additional coverage from the NRA.

3) You can purchase a "personal articles" policy from your home insurer (if they offer it). This usually involves an appraisal. It is also much more comprehensive than the standard built-in coverage. It will usually cover damage. I would reserve this kind of coverage for expensive or collector grade firearms. A good rule of thumb is that this kind of coverage will cost $1 a month for every $1,000 it covers.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Check out Collectible's insurance agency. Here's the link to their web page:
www.collectinsure.com
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get back and let everone know what you did.Would be great info for alot of gun owners here.

I was in the insurance business for 20+ yrs(Claims).Handled a few gun losses.I would go to your insurance agent on the Renters Policy.I've never seen a policy without a standard coverage on Firearms.If you have a large collection talk to agent about "Rider" as someone mentioned.
Your renters policy should be the cheapest way to go. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Gun insurance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.