Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Dear GOD...PLZ HELP >

Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

ORIGINAL: M77man

Ha ha, one goes out and makes some money!
HUH?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM

i plan on going out 2 or 3 times a year...but the "overkill" is for the shooting range.... i like shooting alot but thats a problem...i cna aford 1 gun and i figured 300 win mag to drop anything in its path and its capible of long distance shooting
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 AM

Here's a very good scope for the money for $250:
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Pro duct_Code=WEO800473&Category_Code=35WVGS

Weaver makes an excellent scope, 3.5-10 would be plenty for a 300 mag.
If you insist on higher magnification you will have to pay more, its just the way the cookie crumbles buddy. Checks and balances... You want a good, reliable scope it will cost. You want a good, reliable scope, with higher magnification it will cost more.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO Burris makes a good scope for the money. They offer the Fullfield in a 4.5-14X and 6.5-20X. You should be able to pick one of these up on Ebay or at a gun shop at a reasonable cost. If you decide on one, get one with the ballistic-plex reticle.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: .:SCOPE:EYE:.

how does a poor kid aford a good scope....i look everywhere for a 4-16x scope and cant find one under $200 that is a name brand...it would go on a 300 win mag or 30-06 idk if i wil get a pakage but i hope there isnt all **** scopes i can afford.... HELP?...i want dependablilty but is that posible in this price range?
I just got a Natchez SS catalog that had Bushnell Elite 4200's for $184.95 in 3-9x40. Nikon Monarchs were on closeout for $209.95 in the same size.

Name brands? Check!
Excellent Glass? Check!
Dependability? Check!
< $200? Check!
4-16x? Nope.

So, is the 4-16xworth another $100 to $200 (or even more)? If you're able to find a place that has these scopes and any 4-16x scopes for the same price, line 'em all up against one another around twilight, & see if your eyes prefer superior glass and mechanicals, or higher magnification.

To put it into perspective, these are scopes that will hang punch-for-punch with a VXIII, which no one seems to want to sell any cheaper than $469. These are both outstanding values. I've gotta think that these prices are going to put some huge pressure on the 3200 & Banner lines for Bushnell,as well asthe Buckmaster and ProStaff lines of Nikon. The price jumps have become awfully modest when you talk about the level of quality you're getting when you step up.

FWIW, I spent $400 on a Zeiss Conquest only 2 months ago. However, if I could have had the Bushnell 4200 for only $184.95 at that time,it would have been awfully hard to pass up. It's really a great time to be a scope shopper!

FC
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

my most recent optic purchase was a 4x12x40mm Pentax and i love it. best scope i have ever owned. it is brighter and clearer than Leupold vxI and II's. i haven't looked through the vxIII's yet to compare them. i only paid around $200 for it
Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: alsaqr
"I personally use 6X fixed-power scopes on my big-game rifles except for the big-bore (.375, .416, and .45's) DANGEROUS GAME rifles.I use Leupold Compact 2.5X fixed-power or 1.5-5X variable scopes on those."

Totally agree with you.Many of my rifles have fixedsix power scopes.Six power is enough for the deer and hogs that i hunt. With my 6X scoped .30-06 i have killed coyotes out to 375 yards. The last scope that i bought is a 6X42 FXIII from Leupold. It isan excellentlow light scope.
Hmmm..... seems we share a lot of opinions on guns & such like.......

"What is it with everyone and "overkill". I just put a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50mm on a 300 Win Mag... Is this overkill?

As to "overkill", this post reminds me of our old saying in interior Alaska: "You can always tell a tenderfoot by the size of his knife!" If you ran across some guy with a 2-foot Bowie knife on his belt, he was a invariably a Cheechako. I have observed that MOST HUNTERS with a variable scope on their rifles almost alwaysleave itset at around 4X, AND RARELY ever change the power setting in the presence of a game animal! For all intents and purposes, they'd be served just as well with a fixed-power 4X or6X scope....
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

go here swfsa.com
Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
bigcountry

I highly recommend you stay away from swfa. They really screwed me over recently on an order. I waited for over one month, and finally canceled and got what I need from natchez supply.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you can still find a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9 - 40mm for $200.