Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Encore w/ long scope >

Encore w/ long scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Encore w/ long scope

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Encore w/ long scope

This may sound weird, but I was wondering if anyone has pics of their T/C's with longer scopes (15"ish). I have a 26"SST 25-06 w/ a hardwoods thumbhole stock that now wears a vx-1 3x9 leupy. I want more magnification, but want to know if it will look weird on the short Encore. I'm thinkin 4.4x14x44 Cabela's Alaskan Guide(14.9"). I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out and post some pictures of their guns w/ the length of the scopes. Thanks in advance, Brett
Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Encore w/ long scope

Well, we sure don't want the deer looking at ya, thinking you got a wierd looking gun.

I have an encore with a 6.5-20X44 nikon on. I will post a picture later.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 AM

Are you talking a 26 inch overall length, or a 26 inch barrel? I have an Alaskan guide scope (6.5-20x44AO) on a savage 17HMR with a 26 inch barrel and it doesn't look bad at all. I would post a pic, but in order to update my website I need to use explorer (I normally use Mozilla but it won't work for some reason on that site) and explorer keeps locking up my computer when I try to use it. Probably one of the reasons I use Mozilla.

Here are a few pics from Varmint Al's website. They are of a contender with a 22 inch stainless bull barrel in 17 HMR with a pretty decent sized scope on it. Should give you an idea what yours should look like.

This is pic of a CZ, but it is pretty close to what my Savage looks like with the scope on it.

And here is a pic of a gun with a pretty short barrel and a huge scope on it so can see what overkill looks like.

By the way, Like I said above I have a similar scope to what you are looking at, just a bit more power is all. I also have the mil dot reticle in it. I am VERY happy with it for what I paid for it (just under $400 dollars). I also have the Cabela's quick detach scope mounts and like them as well.

I compared this scope with a few for more money (Leupold for 600 bucks!) and ended up liking this one more.

Post some picks when you get it done so we can check it out.

Paul
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

26" barrel
Old 03-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Ok here is a pic of my Savage 17 HMR with a 26 inch bull barrel and an Alaskan Guide series scope in 6.5-20x44, scope is about 16 inches long.

Actually the barrel and action are 26 inches, so that would be the same thing as a 26 inch barrel on a contender since you really don't have an action like a bolt action or semi auto would have. Sort of like the difference between a semi/pump shotgun and an O/U shotgun.

Does this help any?

Paul
Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am alot like you, I like a rifle that looks balanced. The problem with a long scope on an Encore, is that most bases are too short. If the scope is too long, I have noticed that some scopes will not have sufficient eye relief, or can cause problems with the hammer(thumb will not fit between scope and hammer). The longest base I have found is the Warne. If that is not long enough then I am sure some one could make you one. Does any one know of afactory base that is longer than the Warne? Tom.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I am alot like you, I like a rifle that looks balanced. The problem with a long scope on an Encore, is that most bases are too short. If the scope is too long, I have noticed that some scopes will not have sufficient eye relief, or can cause problems with the hammer(thumb will not fit between scope and hammer). The longest base I have found is the Warne. If that is not long enough then I am sure some one could make you one. Does any one know of afactory base that is longer than the Warne? Tom.
Weaver Grand Slam havean extension base, though not for the Encore!!

www.weaver-mounts.com