Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg shotgun >

Mossberg shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg shotgun

Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Mossberg shotgun

Alright ya'll I'm back with the shotgun questions. I was comparing the Remington 870 Combo model to the Mossberg 535 Combo. Putting them right next to each other they are pretty similar (Mossberg is fully camo whereas the Remington only has the stock and fore-end camoed, both Deer/Turkey combos). The big difference so far was the Mossberg costing about $250 to the $550 of the Remington. Is there that much of a difference to the gun? What would you recommend more? I'm making my purchase within the next week or so, so I am going to use the recommendations seriously...thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg shotgun

I don't know much about the Remmy,but the 535 is chambered in 3.5. I know the 835 is a fine gun for turkey. I have heard comlaints that it kicks to much. I own an 835 and haven't noticed any over accessive recoil. I would think that the 535 is just a cheapened version of the 835. No overbore, ect... . The 870 is a fine action as well. Both are reliable and hold there value well. The 535 hasn't been around for very long so I don't know how reliable it is, but I would think it keeps with the Mossy standards of manufacture. Either gun would be a good chioce. Hold them both and see what feels best when you shoulder it. Good luck and good hunting.

[/align]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM

I know near nothing about hunting at the moment. Fresh and new to it and not much of a support group to bounce things off of...at least not face-to-face. You want to describe to me the meaning of a chambered in 3.5? Also, what's considered a "good feel" on the shoulder. I obviously have an idea, but what do you usually look for? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

this will boil down to what feels good to you, and what you want to spend. mossberg cant be beat for price and reliability, i have had the 870, 1100, and 1187. cant say they were bad but they cost alot. now own 500 mossburg ( one in 20ga and one in 12ga bolth with extra barrels rifled and accu choke ) and i got the two guns for what one remmington cost me. some folks just dont like the looks of the mossburg, to me they are a tool. if you could save 200-300 on a shovel, you would buy the cheeper shovel, only common sence.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Chambered in 3.5 means it will accept a 3and 1/2 inch turkey load. A normal shotgun will only take a 3 inch shell. The longer the chamber the more powerful shell you can use. There is nothing wrong with a 3 inch shell. Some say it is all you need. Others say the more shot you can put in the air the better. Just keep in mind a 3.5 packs a kick. A 3 doesn't kick as bad ,but it does kick. So you should get used to the idea. Shot gun used to only come in 2 and 3/4 chambering. Then they came up with the 3 inch . Not all that long ago they made a 3 and 1/2 . Find a good gun and then try several different loads in it . You do this to see what shell your gun will shoot the best. That is called patterning your shotgun. What ever gun you buy make sure it is versital . You may want to do more than just hunt turkey with it someday. You may want to go out with some friends and shoot clay birds or duck hunt or upland hunt.......ect. You get the idea. I am not the best source of info. You need to talk to someone at your local gunshop. Remember if you don't know something , ask. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

[/align]
Old 03-04-2007, 09:28 PM

I wouldnt bother with the mossberg. Yes the Remington is more but its worth it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Why's that, I need some good solid evidence. What makes the Remington better then the Mossy?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

if it were me i would go with the 870 just because i like it more but its all up to you
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

like you said , the only difference is price they will do the same job for you. being a novice you should start out with a cheeper gun, you can always upgrade later if its somthing your going to stick with. otherwize you got yourself a real expensive door stop.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 AM

1. I own a mossberg 935and a remington 870 andas far as quality I would say the 870 is the best. Not that the mossberg isnt a decent gun, just thatrem. is better... My opinion.

2. I think just about every one owns at least one

3. I know at least 2 people that dropped their 870 in a lake, one got it out next day and the other more like a week later, dried and cleaned them and they still shoot geat. They're just rock solid.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Mossberg shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.