Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Down to 3 and Need Help >

Down to 3 and Need Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Down to 3 and Need Help

Old 12-09-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Down to 3 and Need Help

Hey,
I habe got it down to 3 guns now.
A 300. Win. Mag.
or a 300. Wsm
or a 7mm Rem. Mag.
or a 7mm WSM

Ok now i need some help now.
What Cal. of Gun should i go with.
Does the 300. Win. Mag have more punch power and knock down power than the 300. Wsm
or
Does the 7mm Rem. Meg. have more knock down power than the 7mm WSM.

Also guys i am looking for a gun that has some power to pick and sit down Whitetail Deer with authroity.
Please help me out
Thanks
Travis H.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Down to 3 and Need Help

Personally I would go with one of the WSM's. I have never really liked belted cartriges. I prefer one that headspaces on the shoulder rather than the belt. Just my personal preferance.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 08:54 PM

Any of the calibers you mentioned is more than enough for strictly a whitetail rifle; in fact I'd back off to a 7mm-08 or a .270 Win, either of which is perfectly adequate out to 400 yards with the carefully selected factory load with a high-BC bullet. (Ballistic Tip, Scirrocco, et. al.)

Deer don't necessarily drop in their tracks any quicker with more velocity, although the hunter does of course gain additional useable "able to take the shot" yardage with the faster rounds, and of course a flatter trajectory. BUt as the two slower rounds are adequate out to ranges where 90% of most hunters should pass on taking the shot, I'd prefer the more pleasant and efficient rounds. (Where elk are introduced into the equation, I'd take the next step up to the 7mmRM or .300 Win Mag, or an -06)

Shot placement is more important than a couple hundred extra fps for an exiting projectile.

Good luck whichever you choose...

Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 Win. Mag. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Either the 7mm rem or wsm with a 140-150gr bullet will do a number on any deer as far out as you can hit them. I would go with the remington strictly because you can probably get ammo for it a lot easier than the other three choices.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:53 AM

i would go with the 300WSM.i always liked short actions better. especially when in 2003 federal is coming out with 180gr. ballistic tips and 180gr. nosler partitions for this caliber.

Old 12-10-2002, 06:55 AM

Any of the cartridges you mentioned will work well. We all have our favorite or the need to be different. If not, the firearm companies would only chamber 3 or 4 different rounds and that's all we'd have to choose from. I'd just pick the one you like best. I don't think you'd see any difference in performance on whitetail. All four are much more than sufficient.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:05 PM

i would go with a 270 wsm they are great.and very very flat shotters
Old 12-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the .300 Win mag. It's gonna give you more punch than the 7mm, even though the 7mm is faster and flatter, the .300's a lot bigger bullet, and in most bullet structures will transfer it's energy better, which I define as punch (keepin it short, lol).

Don't buy a WSM, they are a lot of hype. Yes, they do out perform the previous standard rounds (7mm excepted), however, the ones that they barely overshadow, .300 win mag included, were more than enough before. The WSM's are the solution to a problem that never existed, winchester just needed something new to pawn off in this age where people feel they need the fastest, or biggest, or nothing at all. Plus, why spend $2 a round and get a limited selection of rounds from only one or two manufacturers with the WSM's. Save yourself some money, and get better bullet selections with a round that's going to do everything that the WSM's ever could, get the .300 win mag.

On a side note...the .30-06 deserves it's fair shake in this debate, it'll do almost everything the .300 win mag ever has and just as well.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.