Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Poll: What military bolt is best? >

Poll: What military bolt is best?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Poll: What military bolt is best?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poll: What military bolt is best?

I was thinking, I like the old WWI andWWII bolt-action guns, but which kind do you guys like the most and why? And which one wouldyou recommend for hunting?

Lee-Enfield, .303 British-4

Krag-Jorgensen, 30-40 Krag

Kar98 Mauser, 8mm Mauser-1

Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54 Soviet

Model '03Springfield, 30-06 Springfield-5

Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser-1

Swiss K-31, 7.5x55 Swiss -1

There's more that need to be added, but I don't know the official names,feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in the info I have up here, since I want the gun and cartidge's full title.
Also, if I'm missing some, or if your gun isn't up here, just let me know, and I'll update the tally as soon asI can.

Looks like most everyone's gotten patriotic all of the sudden when it comes to guns!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll: What military bolt is best?

1903a3 hands down.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the official name? Did I mark your's down right?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM

All mods of Springfield Model 1903.

Someone about the time of the World Wars made the following statement:

"The Germans went to war with a hunting rifle, the Americans went to war with a target rifle, and the British went to war with a battle rifle."
Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite bolt action for hunting? That would have to be the 1903 Steyr produced Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles. It is so smooth that it is the only action I know of that will completely close itself when an empty and opened rifle is rocked forward and pointed to the ground. I've had one since 1968 and it performs this feat each and every time I try it. It is smooth as glass, one piece forged receiver. It's only drawback is the split receiver which causes most smiths fits when proposing telescopic sights. Mine still sports only iron sights because of this. And it was my first rifle and I just don't want to modify it!
It has some characteristics that most hunters would not like though,... including the old military safety located at the stern of the bolt.

Second favorite (and actually #1 for hunting arms that are totally sporterized) would have to be a tie between the M98 German Mauser design and the M96-38-94 Swedish Mauser actions. 96's and their brethren cock on closing, which some don't like, but it is no big deal and can actually be converted to cock on opening, which I don't recommend.
Either the 98 or the 96 can be easily converted by cutting and turning the bolt, replacing the trigger assemblies, and upgrading to a sporting saftey of your choice.

I don't have experience with the Springfield bolt, but my fathers completely sporterized 1903 has always performed flawlessly, even though I don't find working the bolt to be all that smooth, it is solid upon opening and lock-up.

Strongest military bolt action?? Japanese Arisaka hands down. In blow-up tests it easily withstood pressures WAY over that of the other counties actions.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Althouigh not as strong as some, The Swedish 6.5x55 sure has to be near the top for accuracy. They Model 98 is believed by most to be the strongest action. The British Is really not a strong action and case life with strong 303 loadings is short. The 9-17 Is a strong action as is the Springfield.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

82A1 .50bmg Barrett
Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

03 or enfield
Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Out of the bunch, the 03A3 has the best sights. The weight and length of these rifles aren't that much more than a modern sporter as well.

Kar98- about the same length and weight as the 03a3- most people complain about the sights on these rifles, but its more a matter of practicing with them rather than dismissing them as being poor as many people do.

Mosin Nagant- sights are slightly better than the Kar98, the rifles tend to have somewhat decent accuracy but are too long to to be handy in the woods, the carbines are nice and short and handy, but typically aren't very accurate.

Enfields- No4Mk1 and later rifles have nice peep sights that lack windage adjustment and they are about the same length and weight as a 03a3.

For medium sized game, the 6.5x55 is about as perfect as you can get. The M96s are too long to be handy, the M38s are a nice handy length.Acuracy ofswedish mausers range from good to excellent so long as you take the timeto learn how to use the sights (see my comment about kar98 sights)A Swedish M94 might be an ideal hunting rifle as its very short and very light, on the other hand they can be very expensive. Here's a picture of an incomplete M94 carbine I picked up a month or so ago: Its pictured next to a russion M38 carbine for comparison- its actually about 2" shorter than the russian carbine...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a savage No4Mk1* I recently picked up for $120. You'd be hard pressed to pick up a better rifle at that price at for rifles on your list.

One rifle that is not on your list that is better than all of the rest is the Swiss K-31. Its very easy to mount a scope on one of these rifles, I have a clamp on mount that I use to switch a scope from one rifle to another for load testing ( I have 7 of these rifles). And its accuracy rival that of the 03a3 and swede mausers- I'd put it well ahead of the 03a3 in this department unless the 03a3 happens to have a nearly new barrel on it. From what I've found is that these rifles are consistantly accurate from one rilfe to the next.Best of all, they can be bought for around $100-150, though their availability is quickly diminishing.

Quick Reply: Poll: What military bolt is best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.