Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First Hand Gun - What 9mm would you buy? >

First Hand Gun - What 9mm would you buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Hand Gun - What 9mm would you buy?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Hand Gun - What 9mm would you buy?

You really need to get your hands on as many as you can. Don't settle for one simply because it is cheaper. Glock is a great company and makes an excellent, safe, and reliable, pistol. You will not go wrong if you pick a Glock, that is if it fits your hand and feels comfortable to you. There are also many factory rebuilt or refurbished pistols that are available today. Some of the ones I haveseen, look almost new but have a pretty decent discount on them.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

CZ 75....................
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Spike

Iam surprised no one has asked why you want a handgun yet. If you want for outdor pusuits, I will advise you to consider a .357/.38 wheelgun. You could get by without a .22 by loading .38 wadcutters for plinking, and have the abilty to use variuos loads for any kind of outdoor adventure up to deer hunting. You should be able to pick up a used Smith and Wesson or Ruger well within your price range.
Will
Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM

For conceal and carry purposes I am considering the Kahr CW series or a Glock around the same size. Not sure if something like a Glock 23 would be optimal for a side arm once I get my CCP.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Will C
I agree with a .357, however, as a lot of men (speaking for my own gender) can confirm, once you've made your mind up.......
And if Serrinon, thinks he will enjoy a 9mm, then that is what he should probably start with....He may not be able to enjoy a wheel gun while wishing he had an auto...and vica versa.
IMO everyone would enjoy starting with a .22 auto or a .22 Single Action, and working up from there.
I personally start and end my handgun sessions with a Ruger MkII. It helps with flinch (some of it is from those first few minutes at the range with a handful of guns going off simultaneously!!) , and I just plain like the gun.
I just don't see a world full of my view. But, it is nice to share with others.
Thanks for listening.
Victor
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 PM

I probably will not be using this fire arm for any form of hunting. Most likely I'll be taking it to the local range and just having fun with it. So I'm not really looking for a .357 wheel gun.

I liked the idea of getting to use multiple hand guns before I buy one, but when I called today none of the ranges by me have ones to borrow (surprised me). And I don't have any friends that are into firearms, so its going to be down to online reviews and more importantly help from you guys.

I’m going to repost a response I had written because I haven’t heard much back from it. I found the following guns at the following prices (after tax, shipping, transfer fee, etc…):

Ruger P95 9mm Blue, w Rail 15 round for $350

CZ-75B Tactical for $440

Glock 17 or 19 for $500

Springfiled XD for $475

Kahr CW9 for $400

Walther P99 for $530

The SIG and H&K look great, but were over $600

Anyone know how much of a difference will I notice from the Ruger or CZ-75B to the Glock or Springfield (I know this is a difficulty question)? Or is there a good site that compares different hand guns?

I'm really only concerned with reliability/dependability, accuracy, and recoil (less is better). It doesn't have to be a pretty gun or conceal carry.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM

I would hold them in your hand.
With the list you have, I would say that fit is what it will boil down to.
The XD fits great in my hand, and every XD owner I talk to loves it.
That is what I would buy....how 'bout you?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Good point MeatNTaters, I'll try and find some local gunshops that have them in stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 PM

I would not have a 9mm as a first hand gun, 22 lr is a good choice and a 44 mag would be another.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Buy what fits your hand best. A gun shoots best when it fits you best. That aside, I own a Ruger P95DC and I love it. The design reduces recoil which makes it fast back on target and it is as accurate an automatic as you will find. I also own a Beretta and I like it as well, but I the Ruger works better for me.

Quick Reply: First Hand Gun - What 9mm would you buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.